Old Rag compared to New Rag

For those of you who have downed Ragnaros back at level 60 and on 25H at 85 (I know there aren't alot of you) could you please discuss whether the feeling of downing Ragnaros now can be compared to back then. I know the feeling from first time downing Rag at 60 was epic. Compare it to 25H please.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    It is still an epic fight now. I think they did a pretty good job of making the fight feel new and interesting while still also preserving a little bit of familiarity for those that also killed him at level 60. The Heroic version of the fight looks to be pretty intense as well, and definitely qualifies as EPIC.

it only felt epic back then cause people were new to the game and everything seemed exciting. and no boss kill is ever gonna feel the same way after that

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by msbxghost View Post
    it only felt epic back then cause people were new to the game and everything seemed exciting. and no boss kill is ever gonna feel the same way after that
    That's not a fact, that's a personal opinion. To me, anytime I down a boss that's taken my guild some time to get down it feels pretty epic.

You watch that Paragon video and tell me that shit didn't thrill them. You can hear their elation for their world first kill pretty clearly. Beating something that is difficult will always bring a feeling of pride, which will bring joy alongside it. Whether it's world's first or world's fifty thousandth, it doesn't matter. It's all perspective.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    That's not a fact, that's a personal opinion. To me, anytime I down a boss that's taken my guild some time to get down it feels pretty epic.
    The whole point of this thread is for people to share their opinions and feelings on those 2 fights. So how is his post a problem?

You watch that Paragon video and tell me that shit didn't thrill them. You can hear their elation for their world first kill pretty clearly. Beating something that is difficult will always bring a feeling of pride, which will bring joy alongside it. Whether it's world's first or world's fifty thousandth, it doesn't matter. It's all perspective.
    I don't always kill Rag. on heroic but when I do i yell "SATAN!".
    That shows how happy they were and I would have loved to kill him with them.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd say (even though I haven't done Heroic Ragnaros) that back then was much more epic than now. Especially since there were more people. It was like ants taking down an anteater ;p

No its a fact. It honestly is. It can easily be proven by having a new comer fight old rag then new rag. The new comer would obviously enjoy new rag a lot better as...well lets face it.... the old one is... old. Old mechanics, simplistic idea behind the fight, boring visuals, relaxed pacing. Sure it'd be impossible to pit an old payer against old Rag in the same conditions (the stats and spells are all different now-a-days) but even watching the fight on video is enough to let people know how simplistic that fight was. *holds up flame shield*

Quote Originally Posted by Bombkirby View Post
    No its a fact. It honestly is.
    Given your arguments yesterday about statistics and now your inability to distinguish fact from opinion, I think it's safe to say that you generally don't know what you're talking about.

Deleted
    Ragnaros vanilla was our first endboss we ever killed in WoW. Since then I've killed well over 12 endbosses and probably 100s of raid-bosses.

We raided MC for 3 months before ever trying to face-off with Rag. It's just hard to compare because back then I was 1/40 and to be honest, the fights were quite simple. I also didn't have the same grasp on raiding as I have now and didn't get as invested as I do today. I'm not sure there was much of a nerd-cheer for example as people were very casual about it.

Compare the fights. Tank & spank (almost) with add phases. And now.

No matter how much I hear people saying it, vanilla wasn't better. Certain things making it more of a RPG (like how you obtained your first dungeon 2 set epics and some reps) was cool, but the game was never better before.

it just took a lot more effort behind the scenes, gearing up 40 people in fire resistance gear, massive herb farming to make elixirs for the occasion etc. now the guild bank has cauldrons, you go in and just do the fight. the sense of epic teamwork is missing a bit.

Old rag was more epic since you had to do more outside the raid like get attuned for onxyia for the fire resist on the cloak from the quest, farm for fire pots, and try and get other fire resist gear you could. There were hunters and priests trying to get their class specific epic weapons. (I was a priest)

You had 40 people working hard outside the raid on their own time before it was possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no doubt that defeating Ragnaros back in the day was more breath taking than it is now because it was new and there were no guides and videos and you were raiding blind. That said, I really enjoy the new Ragnaros fight.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zoefschildpad View Post
    it just took a lot more effort behind the scenes, gearing up 40 people in fire resistance gear, massive herb farming to make elixirs for the occasion etc. now the guild bank has cauldrons, you go in and just do the fight. the sense of epic teamwork is missing a bit.
    You could easily make the argument that the sense of teamwork (ie: 40 people grinding mats) is replaced by a sense of teamwork from recruiting and forming a guild of very skilled players that do more than put their backs to a wall and press Frostbolt. You're comparing apples and oranges.

Which one felt more epic will completely depend on how much one cares when they were killed. I was a lot more casual when my guild killed Rag, it didn't excite me too much. Killing him in FL even on normal mode felt much better. On the other hand I was probably 10x happier about our Nefarian kill at 60 (I had started to get more invested by the time we got to him) than I was about our Nef kill at 85.

Nothing will ever compare to killing Rag at 60, especially if MC was your first raid. The total effort it took was pretty staggering for the first big end raid boss. Getting and organizing the mats for fire resistance, the fact that getting flasks were much harder (fuck Black Lotus), fighting Rag with a good portion of your raid in blues from Strat, Scholo, etc. Organizing 40 people to avoid aoe, to gather to attack suns, etc was a pretty big task.

The new Rag is a very fun fight. My guild will probably start playing with the heroic version next week or so. Looking at the Paragon and Method videos, it looks like it's going to be a hell of a fight to learn.

I think the long grind for resist gear and attunements outside the raid made downing old rag feel more epic, but it was also less fun to have to invest so much time in farming stuff.

I much prefer the new Ragnaros to the old one. I recognize that I felt more elated after killing the old one, but that is only because I had invested more time into boring crap instead of just the coolness of a more difficult fight.

The newer one. Old Rag was kinda cool too though. But back then it was me and a handful of other people busting their ass for the +100% cast speed deviate fish, farming crap and other things for the rest. We also had some absolutely horrible players there. Doing 20% of the damage of someone playing the same class, even when all you do is keep chaincasting a single spell? That kind of stuff definitely diminishes the 'epic' feeling.

I feel sorry that some people have said the feeling is missing for them. Or that the sense of epic teamwork is missing. Perhaps you should try another guild? I don't know. I wouldn't play if everything felt "well, that was kind of decent killing the last boss when being severely undergeared."

Deleted
    Nostalgia is a bitch.

Regarding yelling "satan" after the kill, that's just how we swear in most nordic countries, no stranger than saying "fuck" in english ^^

That is all.