Page 40 of 76 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    'In Youth Is Pleasure' by Denton Welch. It's a coming of age novel.

Reading The Return of The King, about half way through atm. After that I'll prolly either read: A song of Ice and Fire, or the Hunger Games series.... Thinking about reading The Divine Comedy and Paradise Lost, but not too sure about those yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Proxeneta View Post
    Reading The Return of The King, about half way through atm. After that I'll prolly either read: A song of Ice and Fire, or the Hunger Games series.... Thinking about reading The Divine Comedy and Paradise Lost, but not too sure about those yet.
    I'd go ASoIaF, Hunger Games is a YA novel, with a few exceptions they tend to turn me off. That, and ASoIaF is very good, one of the few times that the hype is justified.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Quote Originally Posted by Kerdozia View Post
    I am currently reading The Passage by Justin Cronin. Really good book so far. But no way near Stephen King like some people are saying
    I'm guessing you're about a third, maybe 50% into it. Come say that when you've finished.

re-read the Hobbit. Last time I read it was 10 years ago, but with the movie coming out this year I wanted to have it refreshed in my head

Quote Originally Posted by Disenchanted View Post
    I'm guessing you're about a third, maybe 50% into it. Come say that when you've finished.
    Done now.. And the last 1/3 of the book was insanly good! Can't wait for the second one to come out!

I'm currently reading Billy Budd, Sailor by Herman Melville for my AP British Literature and Composition course at school. It's a roughly 90 page novella about this seemingly innocent, handsome sailor who gets into a heap of trouble. It's awful; not so much because of the plot, but due to the overwhelming amount of elevated and figurative language used by the author; it seems like every single word on every single page is either an allusion to Greek mythology, the Bible, or has some manner of symbolism behind the scenes. I discourage anyone from reading it.

The last book I read was about Peter-No-Tail. That was when I was like 10 or something, so ~13 years ago. I just can't do it anymore, completely unable to focus on pages and pages with nothing but text on them for longer than 5-15 minutes. Tried it some years ago with Lord of the Rings book. didn't get very far.

Reading Divina Commedia.
    Holy hell that book is hard to read, but still so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    re-read the Hobbit. Last time I read it was 10 years ago, but with the movie coming out this year I wanted to have it refreshed in my head
    Good thing. It helps to understand how a book that only has a few hundred pages could indeed be 3 feature filsm. Something that people don't seem to believe is possible of feasible.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

Reading 'Furnace' right now. Its...ok...but certainly isn't "one of the greats" I seem to happen on once every five years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Good thing. It helps to understand how a book that only has a few hundred pages could indeed be 3 feature filsm. Something that people don't seem to believe is possible of feasible.
    ...really? They make feature films out of Dr. Seuss books.
    Atheist, pro-gun, pro-Constitution, anti-racism, pro-equal rights for e...v...e...r...y...o...n...e

Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    The last book I read was about Peter-No-Tail. That was when I was like 10 or something, so ~13 years ago. I just can't do it anymore, completely unable to focus on pages and pages with nothing but text on them for longer than 5-15 minutes. Tried it some years ago with Lord of the Rings book. didn't get very far.
    You ever considered audio books? Some are extremely well done and beautifully narrated.
    - Signature courtesy of the very talented Aveline -

High Overlord
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerath View Post
    You ever considered audio books? Some are extremely well done and beautifully narrated.
    I 2nd that. I'm currently having to drive 13 hours every weekend to take care of my grandmother. I'm listening to George R.R. Martin's books to pass the time. Audiobooks are a great way to capture wasted time and make them productive.
    If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti

Until you stalk and overrun, you can't devour anyone. - Hobbes

Finished Neverwinter and now waiting on the last book in that set. In the meantime I am reading Why We Get Fat: And What To Do About It.

Re-reading all the Harry Potter novels. Noticed last week you can buy them as eBooks now! On Order of the Phoenix atm.

Will probably resume reading the Game of Thrones books after. On Clash of Kings.

Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Still on a bit of a Pratchett kick and re-reading the Fifth Elephant.
    Because Sir Samuel Vimes really does prod buttock. Definitely my favourite Discworld character.
    - Signature courtesy of the very talented Aveline -

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, soon to be followed by Enders Game.

Mistborn: The Hero of Ages (book 3 of 3)
    Torethirnyi the Astral Walker - Orc Enhancement Shaman - <Conviction> of Korgath - Temporarily out of Retirement

Nothing makes you hate MMOs more than having played MMOs.

Quote Originally Posted by hanion548 View Post
    I am reading gitanjoli by Robindronath tagore. he is the famous poet in the world.
    Well, no. He isn't. In fact his work is pretty limited to a certain region.

Anyway, reading The Knight of the The Wizard Knight duo by Gene Wolfe once more.

the communist manifesto. now i can join in with my philosophy student friends when they talk of class war! viva la revolution!
    somebody call for d doctor?