Thread: Tanking Rag

Tanking Rag

I tanked rag last night for the first time, and i was getting crushed!! Does he just do insane tank dmg or is there something i should be doing different ie: spec, gear (not geared enough) ect.

I may have logged out in pvp gear so this wont help lol http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...talent/primary

How many stacks of Burning Wound were you and the other tank taunting at? His melee swings really aren't very dangerous on normal mode unless your debuff is ticking for a ridiculous amount.

Edit: You need to pick up Vindication in your prot talent tree. I don't know why you would want to be taking 10% more physical damage when you don't have to.
    Last edited by Benefits; 2011-07-29 at 10:05 PM.

Deleted
    Well for one you don't have Vindication, this is a two tank fight so it shouldn't matter if your OT has their version of it but that's still a really dumb talent to pass up. Unless you speced specifically for this fight which would be alright, but then why no glyph of WoG? Not like you need much AoE from HotR on this fight.

And no the boss doesn't do insane tank damage, he does decent tank damage that oughta be healed through with any competent healer/tank team easily enough.
    - Are you using your CDs? You should pop HS and one other CD (one after another) every time you taunt him. HS+DP, HS+ trink, HS+GotAK, HS+DP, HS+AD, HS+DP, HS+trink, HS+DP etc.
    - Are you using WoG to help out on healing? Especially if you time it to coincide with the trap explosions
    - Are your healers healing you when you died? Check recount or WoL death logs to see how long you went without heals. Let is know for more feedback
    - What stacks of Burning Wounds are you tank switching at? Are you doing it as soon as your current stacks fall off (like you should be)?

---------- Post added 2011-07-29 at 03:08 PM ----------

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/e...89/details/11/ wol from last night maybe just my healers where sleeping on tank swaps but i died a few times mid fight for no reason

---------- Post added 2011-07-29 at 03:09 PM ----------

Ya we are switching at 3 stacks and i am using wog everytime its up ill change that glyph see if that helps much and ill figure out a better cd rotation. Thanks for the the input! and i only respeced out of vindication last night to put another point in gbtl
    Last edited by havak16; 2011-07-29 at 10:08 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by havak16 View Post
    Ya we are switching at 3 stacks and i am using wog everytime its up ill change that glyph see if that helps much and ill figure out a better cd rotation. Thanks for the the input! and i only respeced out of vindication last night to put another point in gbtl
    That's good then, just make sure your OT is keeping up Demo Shout or Demo Roar or w/e class they are.

Don't use WoG on CD, that's pointless. What will kill you in p1 is generally the spike damage of traps, saving WoG for those moments is far better than having it on CD when they come. Holy Radiance also helps a tiny bit but it's obviously very small. Other than that there's nothing you can do except tell your healers to heal better.

Oh I almost forgot, can't see your armory but I assume you're decently geared for it. Stacking mastery, iLevel of at least 359 (even 359 might be a tad low unless your healers are quite good) and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenGage View Post
    Well for one you don't have Vindication, this is a two tank fight so it shouldn't matter if your OT has their version of it but that's still a really dumb talent to pass up. Unless you speced specifically for this fight which would be alright, but then why no glyph of WoG? Not like you need much AoE from HotR on this fight.

And no the boss doesn't do insane tank damage, he does decent tank damage that oughta be healed through with any competent healer/tank team easily enough.
    - Are you using your CDs? You should pop HS and one other CD (one after another) every time you taunt him. HS+DP, HS+ trink, HS+GotAK, HS+DP, HS+AD, HS+DP, HS+trink, HS+DP etc.
    - Are you using WoG to help out on healing? Especially if you time it to coincide with the trap explosions
    - Are your healers healing you when you died? Check recount or WoL death logs to see how long you went without heals. Let is know for more feedback
    - What stacks of Burning Wounds are you tank switching at? Are you doing it as soon as your current stacks fall off (like you should be)?
    Erlara?

Also, you could consider switching whenever the other tank's stacks drop - there are times when you'll only be up to two at that point, so there's no real reason to take an extra stack.

As for CD for rotation I mostly agree, though for shorter duration CDs (e.g. TB trinket) I'd wait until you get the first stack of Burning Wounds.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Erlara?

Also, you could consider switching whenever the other tank's stacks drop - there are times when you'll only be up to two at that point, so there's no real reason to take an extra stack.

As for CD for rotation I mostly agree, though for shorter duration CDs (e.g. TB trinket) I'd wait until you get the first stack of Burning Wounds.
    Yup.

And yes, we always taunt as soon as stacks fall off, very rarely go above 2-3. Only exception is movement in P2 where things get hectic and we forget to taunt on time because we're baddies. But that's what big CDs are for.
    Last edited by mmocf1640b68b7; 2011-07-30 at 03:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I'm going to side against taunting at certain stack numbers. Really what my guild found out, well me and my guild leader(second tank) is that going 2-3 stacks on the first tank who picks it up, me, then having the OT taunt and then just taunt back and forth as the stacks fall off will greatly help even out and sometimes lessen the dmg you take from the dot(amount of stacks obv).

If you are switching like i mentioned your Holy Shield should be up for every time you are tanking no problem. Also as stated above, just needs emphasizing, save your WoG for trap detonations and it is very easy to line up Mirror of Broken Images' CD with a trap and while you are tanking and you should do so when possible.

Lastly for Phase two I save CDs for the seed movements. Since I tank first I end up having Rag during each of these movements, it really helps out.

Ps: Seeing your tank gear would really help out telling you more by the way.
    Last edited by Nonfictionless; 2011-07-30 at 02:19 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonfictionless View Post
    Yeah I'm going to side against taunting at certain stack numbers. Really what my guild found out, well me and my guild leader(second tank) is that going 2-3 stacks on the first tank who picks it up, me, then having the OT taunt and then just taunt back and forth as the stacks fall off will greatly help even out and sometimes lessen the dmg you take from the dot(amount of stacks obv).

If you are switching like i mentioned your Holy Shield should be up for every time you are tanking no problem. Also as stated above, just needs emphasizing, save your WoG for trap detonations and it is very easy to line up Mirror of Broken Images' CD with a trap and while you are tanking and you should do so when possible.

Lastly for Phase two I save CDs for the seed movements. Since I tank first I end up having Rag during each of these movements, it really helps out.

Ps: Seeing your tank gear would really help out telling you more by the way.
    Exactly. Taunting each time your stacks wear off results the lowest total amount of stacks.
    What comes to the damage in whole, tank damage on Ragnaros is very mild. I could survive with 9 stacks for a while without taking lethal damage. Wiping to tank deaths can mean either bad tankgear, bad healers, or a terribad tanks.