Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Insanity & P90X Simultaneously!

I'm just wondering if any of you have done Insanity and P90X simultaneously? Not literally at the SAME exact time, but either back-to-back or one in the morning/the other at night. If so, what kind of results did you see? How taxing was it on your body? Is there any specific schedule you'd recommend?

PS: I'm not interested in the programs individually, as I've completed both and know what they have to offer.

Thanks in advance!

I would think if you do both in one day, you're probably cheating one one of them or doing more harm than good (overtraining). Really wouldn't recommend that to anyone.

I did 2 rounds of P90X and then a round of Insanity. I was already in shape when I did P90X and Insanity was still hard. So I basically just replaced the cardio days of P90X with alternating routines from Insanity since I didn't want to lose some of my bulk from too much cardio (pure Insanity).

Do I do them now? Nope.

I have, however, taken plenty of ideas from them to implement in my own (and my clients') workouts.

doing both programs in one day would take a lot of energy i think. if your're someone just looking to get fit i think it would be too much. i heard insanity is hard enough as it is.

only do one at a time

insanity fucking sucks.

so hard

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vazar-da-priest View Post
    only do one at a time

insanity fucking sucks.

so hard
    But that's what makes it such a great program!

Thanks for the input guys! I'll most likely end up doing what Radux mentioned. I like the true resistance workouts from P90X, but I'm not too big on Tony's approach with Plyo/Kenpo, so I'll sub in max insanity workouts on those days.

Should be super fun!

If you have a coach via Beachbody, you could ask them -- or better yet, hit their forums. They would have a really good routine setup if you want to go by the workouts strictly as they are.

One thing I didn't understand about the Insanity infomercial was that these were fat people. I'm wondering about the results it would have on me, an under-weight individual and whether I'd need to alter the routines or something.

P90X and Insanity on the same day? Doable. If you're in good enough shape to do Insanity, P90X is just an extended warmup to you. Assuming you AREN'T an Olympic Athlete looking for something to make your warm up interesting though, you're gonna die.

Yeah, Insanity is definitely a step-up from P90X, so if you're just looking to get in shape, I'd just do P90X and not worry about doing both. At a certain point you're going to be putting too much stress on your body and the work-out will become counter-productive.

Quote Originally Posted by Naturae View Post
    One thing I didn't understand about the Insanity infomercial was that these were fat people. I'm wondering about the results it would have on me, an under-weight individual and whether I'd need to alter the routines or something.
    Insanity is built more around fat burning, as is p90x, rather high cardio with muscle moves thrown in. If you're actually going to try and gain weight you'd have go up and beyond the normal amounts of food needed/calorie intake. P.s. i ran while doing p90x it wasn't particularly terribly hard.

can anyone explain what insanity/p90x is?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Waimzer View Post

Insanity - http://www.beachbody.com/product/fit...ms/insanity.do
    Insanity is a workout regimen similar to P90X in that it claims to improve fitness in 60 days through strenuous stamina training. Developed by Shaun T., Insanity's advertising emphasizes "max interval training", a method of exercising during which one works out strenuously for 3-4 minutes and then rests or "cool down" for approximately 30 seconds before starting the whole process over again. This is essentially a reversal of traditional interval training, during which participants exercise rigorously for 30 seconds and then cool down for 3-4 minutes.
    P90X - http://www.beachbody.com/product/fit...x.do?t=p90x3a1
    P90X is a 90 day workout regimen developed by Tony Horton, that claims it can significantly improve fitness in three months through intense physical training. P90X's advertising emphasizes "muscle confusion", a method of cross-training and periodization achieved through switching the order of exercises and incorporating new and varied movements. Muscle confusion supposedly prevents the body from adapting to exercises over time, resulting in continual improvement without plateaus.

(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insanit...stem)#Insanity)

Quote Originally Posted by Waimzer View Post
    pretty much this, so lost.

EDIT: see a response!

If you look at the Doubles program for P90X you can just substitute their cardio (plyoX, YogaX, KenpoX) workouts for an Insanity workout. I haven't personally tried it since I don't have enough time/energy to do more them one per day. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    >over-training
    overtraining depends on the person. I was pushing over 50 miles a week running earlier this year and it wasn't an issue, but for some people 5 miles would be overtraining. and assuming peopel are using p90x insanity, the only really good reason to use those programs are for fat burning and convenience (a gym would just be cheaper in those 3 months and produce better results) so so long as they're not causing pain you could manage both i suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by xile View Post
    overtraining depends on the person. I was pushing over 50 miles a week running earlier this year and it wasn't an issue, but for some people 5 miles would be overtraining. and assuming peopel are using p90x insanity, the only really good reason to use those programs are for fat burning and convenience (a gym would just be cheaper in those 3 months and produce better results) so so long as they're not causing pain you could manage both i suppose.
    Running is easy though. When we're talking about doing heavy lifts like dead lifts, squats and bench pressing, it's pretty easy to overtrain.

You better be pounding shakes if your going to do both, this has given me the motivation to try so i'll let everyone know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    Running is easy though. When we're talking about doing heavy lifts like dead lifts, squats and bench pressing, it's pretty easy to overtrain.
    Running actually really stresses your body (legs/knees/ankles/etc.). I'm not saying that P90X/Insanity stresses it any less, but they're accomplishing different things. Running increases endurance while lifting obviously can help endurance, but it can also increase strength.

I'll agree that pushing both of these in a day can easily put someone over the point of overtraining. If you replace P90X cardio sessions with Insanity (to make them harder) can keep the workouts difficult without ruining your body.