10+ Year Old Account

Whats the difference between Directx 9 vs. Directx 11?

So I recently got a GPU good enough to run WoW in absolutely max settings and still get 60+ FPS in the main city. I had a graphics API set to Directx 9 so I decided to change to Directx 11 in the options. It didn't seem to do anything.

Is there a purpose to the Directx changing?
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

DirectX adds increased features such as sunshafting, water-effects and most of all, tesselation.
    Wow doesn't have very good support for DX11, as they've just added bits. You will regardless most likely get FPS-increases in Wow by enabling dx11.

10+ Year Old Account
    if your GPU doesn't support DX11, you will not see any change by using it, if it does, the most obvious change is better frame rate, and maybe a bit more fluid water

---------- Post added 2011-07-30 at 11:18 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    tesselation.
    ya know, i run the heaven benchmark to demo tess. but the funny thing is in crysis 2 i have to go out of my way to find some, and even then it looks like crap compared to heaven, not really sure its a big deal atm

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    DirectX adds increased features such as sunshafting, water-effects and most of all, tesselation.
    Wow doesn't have very good support for DX11, as they've just added bits. You will regardless most likely get FPS-increases in Wow by enabling dx11.
    Cool, you're right. The water reflection and sun beams are different now.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama