Deleted

Gaming computer on a tight budget

My cousin visited me a few days ago and was amazed at my gaming PC (he's turning 11). He doesn't own a computer himself, but has been saving for a long time to buy one. His father has now asked me to fix something for his birthday in about 2 months time, and the budget is a strict 4000SEK, without Windows.

Case: Cooler Master Elite 341: Seems like a decent mATX case
    MoBo: MSI H67MS-E23 B3: Basically the cheapest H67 1155 MoBo I could find.
    CPU: i3 2100
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4Gb (2x2) DDR3 1600Mhz
    GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GT440 1Gb
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500Gb
    PSU: Corsair CX 430W V2
    + DVD Reader/Writer

Total cost is 4020SEK (~$400).

Any opinions?

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    You could drop down to 1333Mhz memory and probably save another ~$20 or so. Outside of that looks good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Encourage him to going outside, making friends, and being active at that age. Wait a few years for him to start gaming or his social life will be screwed.

Computer = meh. It's a start.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    Encourage him to going outside, making friends, and being active at that age. Wait a few years for him to start gaming or his social life will be screwed.

Computer = meh. It's a start.
    Its for an 11 year old.......

Its perfect, take the ram Mhz down a bit as suggested above, it won't make any difference for what he would use it for.

Deleted
    Surprisingly, the Vengeance (2x2Gb, 1600Mhz) goes for 353SEK and the XMS3 CL9 (2x2Gb, 1333Mhz) goes for 333SEK.

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    My cousin visited me a few days ago and was amazed at my gaming PC (he's turning 11). He doesn't own a computer himself, but has been saving for a long time to buy one. His father has now asked me to fix something for his birthday in about 2 months time, and the budget is a strict 4000SEK, without Windows.

Case: Cooler Master Elite 341: Seems like a decent mATX case
    MoBo: MSI H67MS-E23 B3: Basically the cheapest H67 1155 MoBo I could find.
    CPU: i3 2100
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4Gb (2x2) DDR3 1600Mhz
    GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GT440 1Gb
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500Gb
    PSU: Corsair CX 430W V2
    + DVD Reader/Writer

Total cost is 4020SEK (~$400).

Any opinions?
    What about a monitor, keyboard, mouse?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    Hehe, he is already ruined! His older brother just moved in with his girlfriend and left a PS3. Joke aside, the computer will be used for other than gaming, e.g. school work. His father (my uncle) is looking to throw away their 6 year old family computer as he has a laptop from work he uses.

---------- Post added 2011-07-30 at 06:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dlouhys View Post
    What about a monitor, keyboard, mouse?
    All inherited from their old family computer. So is the speakers, windows, etc.