10+ Year Old Account

Region Wide Auction House

This is an idea that I've been pondering lately. I it started with me thinking about how servers that are mostly Alliance or Horde dominated could benefit from the auction house being cross faction. On my server it can be very rare to find some materials on the auction house for the Horde side, while, from what I've observed, the probably would seem nonexistent. By crossing the auction houses together both sides would have access to more items, and those who sold items regularly would have a larger group to sell to.

But it made me wonder, what if all auction houses on a region were linked. I imagine doing so would be very hard, so this is all theoretical. The main thing that comes to my mind would be the low population servers would get the benefit of a larger variety of goods.

Just curious as to see how everyone else might theorize on the subject.

As much as the idea cross-server auction houses sounds good because of the increase of materials sold... I doubt it'll ever happen. All things considered, that many servers and characters might either crash the system or reduce prices to dirt cheap because of heavy undercutting (which obviously has good and bad sides).
    <3
    Class: Alli Priest
    Spec: Holy/ Shadow
    Horde Alts @ 85: Mage, Lock, DK, Paladin

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought about that, the heavy undercutting, but there's also the fact that there'd probably be a constant stream of buying as well. That would probably be the worst thing to be honest, you go to buy something and someone on another server bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy Vixen View Post
    As much as the idea cross-server auction houses sounds good because of the increase of materials sold... I doubt it'll ever happen. All things considered, that many servers and characters might either crash the system or reduce prices to dirt cheap because of heavy undercutting (which obviously has good and bad sides).
    If they can get over the technical hurdles, the undercutting issue, in my opinion, has more positives than negatives. For the player base at large, at least. Although less money going through the AH means less money spent on AH fees, and a smaller gold sink, which Blizzard might not want.

I think the blues addressed a question like this before. Essentially the market for an item tends to be controlled by only a couple of people. You can make the scope of the AH as large as you like, but the number of people dominating it will remain the same. Especially on crafts. Hence, making the AH scope larger means that less people can enjoy selling items on the AH. Smaller AHs are better, it's up to your faction to obtain the materials you require.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    you're likely wrong, and we don't care anyway.
    Source