Thread: Ret PvE fixed

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chard View Post
    Remove Inquisition, put the 30% into our baseline DPS.
    Exorcism, no more proc bullshit, put it on cooldown.
    Templar's Verdict keep it using the mechanics it uses now, theirs your "skill" ghostcrawler. (ya I know he doesn't read these forums.)

Funny how Ret was too "simple" yet Arcane mage is just fine; 1,1,1,2,1,1,1,2,1,1,1,2 so much skill with that.

I'm sitting their on boss fights sometimes and everything keeps procing which is great, and then other times I could read a book because nothing procs and I'm waiting for something to come off cooldown.
    Can people just stop bringing up mages in every fucking post? No fucking non-retarded mage in the world uses only those abilities on the average bossfight. Managing cooldowns, defensive abilities and so on gives us quite a lot of buttons to push. Sure, the ultimate rotation for arcane involves one button, but no one would actually end up only using that ability during an entire fight.
    Vol'jin fanboy

Quote Originally Posted by Dio the Holy Diver View Post
    Some of the ideas in this thread are interesting; I think they all high light one of the main issues with ret damage output in pve AND pvp which is of course the dependence on burst. I think in order to curb it the following changes should be implemented:

- Increase Judgement's Damage. Pretty straightforward. A strong single target filler. I don't think a 50-75% buff to its current damage is out of the question.
    - Avenging Wrath: reduce the damage buff but increase the duration and shorten the cooldown to 1 minute. Provide some sort of dispell protection for it in pvp.
    - GoAK: Anything to make it less underwhelming. Could start by lowering the CD to 2 minutes and have it grant some kind of raid wide buff. This would also give ret some unique utility.
    - Make holy shock baseline and have it replace holy wrath as a filler, it should also generate holy power just like it does for holy. This might mean putting holy wrath and holy shock on the same CD similar to how divine storm and crusader strike currently work.

I'm not trying to buff ret's damage necessarily with these changes but I think it would certainly make it more consistent without changing the overall feel of the class spec.
    Yeah the burst thing is a big issue in two ways. One is that so much of Ret's dps comes from the cooldown burst. The other is that in terms of GCDs, you have way too many abilities to use during cooldown burst and way too few during the rest of the fight.

I think toning down the burst abilities slightly while increasing the damage of the other fillers would work really well. Judgment and Holy Wrath could both stand to do more damage - seeing as they're rarely used, have longish cooldowns, and aren't used at all while bursting. Alternatively maybe some Grand Crusader-like talent that gave Holy Wrath and Judgement a chance to reset the CS cooldown and/or gave them a chance to generate Holy Power could work. Once again, you wouldn't be using those abilities while bursting so it wouldn't increase burst damage.

As for how to decrease burst - I'm not sure. Zealotry can't really be scaled down without fundamentally changing how it works. I guess Avenging Wrath could just have less of a damage boost.

Increasing Inquisition's duration would also slightly improve non-burst DPS and have little effect on burst DPS as well as being a quality of life improvement.

Another way to increase non-burst damage would be to make Censure stronger - but that comes at the cost of increasing ramp-up time and decreasing target switching capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    What you don't realize is that all melee have something to this effect. Rogues, Ferals have it so they affect their energy regen. Warriors have it for their rage, Hunters have it for their focus, Death Knights have it for their runes. Paladins have it for their Crusader Strike. Whether there is a talent or not every class has haste affecting it's "Resource Generator". If they gave us a 3 second cooldown Crusader Strike they would have to essentially go through all the other classes and do something to cause them to generate their resources quicker. The talent was put in so that in later tiers we would be able to achieve this and isn't suppose to be something so quickly achieved.

There are other ways of fixing Ret without doing that. One way could be to do something like prot where when we Divine Plea we are granted 3 charges of HP on demand basically.
    What's wrong with the ret talent is that we need 4k haste rating + all raid buffs to make it do anything for our rotation. Rogues, ferals, dks, hunters and warriors don't change their rotation or priority the more haste they got.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    What's wrong with the ret talent is that we need 4k haste rating + all raid buffs to make it do anything for our rotation. Rogues, ferals, dks, hunters and warriors don't change their rotation or priority the more haste they got.
    Not true. That would only be the case if we were GCD-capped on fillers. Any time you have a CS_Filler_Wait_CS that talent is improving your DPS and smoothing your rotation by reducing the time spent waiting.

This is almost exactly like DKs, where you will occasionally be just waiting for runes to come off cooldown. The sooner they come off cooldown the more DPS you do, even if they aren't coming off at the exact instant you'd want them to.

Keep Inquisition.

Get rid of AoW Exorcism proc, and make AoW talent give Exorcism a set CD, that way in can be thrown into our rotation and help fill those 3-4 second gaps.

Get rid of DP procs. Do something else with it, like "DP gives you a %20 chance increase the duration of Inquisition by 10ish seconds". Works for me.

At the end of the day, too much RNG is just too much RNG in my opinion. 30% of my damage just from DP and AoW procs? No thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitsurugi View Post
    I'm going to have to disagree there. Just because their DPS is fine doesn't mean that they don't have a similar problem to what Ret paladins have(which I believe is something that people overlook at times).

If you think about it, it's actually two problems at work.
    1. RNG leaving large gaps in rotation (which can probably occur for many specs)
    2. An over-dependance on RNG procs to deal consistent damage
    And i'm going to have to disagree here. It is completely different story while you wait for your stuffs to get fixed while being able to pull insane numbers as wars, and while on top of all of that you have to strugle with subpar average damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitsurugi View Post
    I'm going to have to disagree there. Just because their DPS is fine doesn't mean that they don't have a similar problem to what Ret paladins have(which I believe is something that people overlook at times).

If you think about it, it's actually two problems at work.
    1. RNG leaving large gaps in rotation (which can probably occur for many specs)
    2. An over-dependance on RNG procs to deal consistent damage
    Well, if Retribution was capable of Fury's DPS, I wouldn't care about the RNG for PvE. PvP on the other hand, it's pretty unreliable, yeah.