10+ Year Old Account

Need suggestions for an SSD

Hey guys,

I'm planning to build my first gaming rig in the near future and I've weighed up the options of including a SSD in my build, and although pricey, I think it would be an asset. I have yet to come across a decent SSD that I like (the ones that I have viewed had a general mixed opinion) and I would love the opinion of the people of this forum, as you all seem to know what you're talking about.

I'm looking for a SSD which is reliable/preforms and has around a 90-120GB size, and if possible, be chosen from these two sites, no big deal if it cant be though (any other site that will ship to Australia will suffice)

http://www.cpl.net.au/pdf/page1.pdf
    http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

- Sorry for the eyesore

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Berteh; 2011-07-31 at 10:18 AM.

Australians never heard of HTML? I would personally boycot both stores for being fucking retarded having nearly unreadable PDF catalogue only. Feel free to quote me in email to 'em.

Anyway, first store, either Crucial M4 or Corsair Force3.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Australians never heard of HTML? I would personally boycot both stores for being fucking retarded having nearly unreadable PDF catalogue only. Feel free to quote me in email to 'em.

Anyway, first store, either Crucial M4 or Corsair Force3.
    They do like placing their product lists in a clusterfuck of a PDF. I agree with you :/ I'll check both of those out, thanks for the suggestions

Besides Intel's 510 only Crucial M4 and Corsair Force3 haven't got negative reviews so far out of third gen SSDs, and the Intel is lot more expensive. There's some serious quality issues in the third gen discs, but if you're feeling adventurous and want to save money, OCZ Agility3 or Vertex2 (not V3) are something you might want to look at.

Also regardless of your budget definitely have 90GB as the minimum size you'll consider. Taking 60GB SSD is not really advisable. I have 60-64GB SSDs on two different computers, and constantly running out of space.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2011-07-31 at 10:43 AM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Crucial C300 has dropped quite a bit in price recently, I have used the 128gb version for nearly a year and Im really happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    I just got 2 Force 3's for RAID0. While i can recommend them, i must add in that if you do get one, you need to run a registry fix to disable LPM (A power management feature). Otherwise the drive will quite often go into sleep mode (even when told not to in Windows Power Options) and cause apps to start behaving weirdly and at times a BSOD.

So, they're good drives, but until we get a fix from Sandforce or Corsair, you do need to look at fixes for potential issues over on their official forums. Disabling LPM is done via registry as stated;

So, i'll still recommend them completely. The issue also only occurs when they've been mostly idle for quite some time and i've not yet had it freeze up during games or such. It did happen when i was just browsing last night but it's not an issue if constantly in use.
    Had that problem with my SSD too, you dont have to mess around in the Registry, and the text you just posted would turn off LPM for all drives, including HDD's.
    to turn off LPM on a specific Port, all you need to do is Enable Hot Plugging in the Bios for the specific port that the SSD('s) are connected to.

if you have a motherboard that cannot enable hot plugging in the Bios, then yes, you can do that registry fix, but there is no need to enable it on anything else that the Ports that the SSD('s) are connected to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Besides Intel's 510 only Crucial M4 and Corsair Force3 haven't got negative reviews so far out of third gen SSDs, and the Intel is lot more expensive. There's some serious quality issues in the third gen discs, but if you're feeling adventurous and want to save money, OCZ Agility3 or Vertex2 (not V3) are something you might want to look at.

Also regardless of your budget definitely have 90GB as the minimum size you'll consider. Taking 60GB SSD is not really advisable. I have 60-64GB SSDs on two different computers, and constantly running out of space.
    I've considered both SSD's from OCZ previously, but I've been put off by the customer reviews they've received on Newegg. Many people claim them cause BSODs constantly and inconvenient crap along those lines. Should I take it the people posting on there are obviously doing something wrong as they are good SSD's? Because the price/performance of the Agility3 is really appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Berteh View Post
    I've considered both SSD's from OCZ previously, but I've been put off by the customer reviews they've received on Newegg. Many people claim them cause BSODs constantly and inconvenient crap along those lines. Should I take it the people posting on there are obviously doing something wrong as they are good SSD's? Because the price/performance of the Agility3 is really appealing.
    OCZ sells products with significantly higher fail rates than all other manufacturers, so their reputation is deserved. You get what you pay for, it's cheaper because it might break earlier. Of course you get new disc through warranty if it breaks early, but that does not necessarily cover the amount of lost time and lost data if you dont take backups. If you accept those risks knowing what you're doing, OCZ Agility3 is by far the best SSD currently in price/performance ratio.

Crucial M4 and C300 are the only SSDs topping SATA2 speeds as far as I know that has never had any widespread quality issues.
    Trolling should be.