I recently got a new computer. It's a HP Pavilion dv7t Quad Edition laptop. Like many laptops it has a function key that allows 1 key to serve 2 purposes. The main issue here is that the f1-f12 keys almost all have alternate functions, but for some reason the alternate function executes when I press the key, rather than it just acting like I hit f1 or whatever and it does the opposite when I hold down the function key. I don't know if that's how it's supposed to behave or if it's some defect.

This really messes with my keybindings in games where I regularly use the f1-f12 keys. So when I want to use the ability bound to f2 I end up lowering my screen brightness rather than using the ability, and holding down the function key the whole time is pretty difficult.

I've googled this issues and the only answer I could find was to turn off num lock or hit the funtion key and num lock at the same time. I've tried both of these but to no avail. Does anybody know if I could reverse the function of the keys and how I could do it?