Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Can we have a Religion and Politics Section?

People enjoy coming to MMO-C to chat to fellow gamers about what is happening in the World.

But it is incredibly difficult when religion and politics is banned.

Can we just have a dedicated "Current Affairs Section" where we can chat about the happenings of the World, but be allowed to incoorporate religion and politics in the discussions.

Ban them from all other threads by all means, but just one section where this is allowed?

I dont see why they should be completely banned, its not like gamers are hidden from the topics in their real lives.

15+ Year Old Account
    General Off-Topic contains plenty "current affairs" topics. Some are political. Religion is something we stay away from though.

Well religion is false so maybe just a politics section.

15+ Year Old Account
    ^^ and there's a perfect reason why its not allowed. now imagine 2000 threads of that.

Deleted
    I think its great that people can let off some steam though. If someone thinks religion is false, let them say it. (in a dedicated section, nowhere else)

I thought politics was completely off topic too?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chockolate View Post
    Agree, but you're not allowed to say these things as people get offended.. Least how it feels anyway.

Would be pretty nice to have a Religion section, im a orthodox-christian and i respect all other religions that are out there and im interested how they work, i know alot about islam, i would be very interested in learning about other religions.

Koota

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by corblimey111 View Post
    I thought politics was completely off topic too?
    It depends of the subject matter and the tone of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    ^^ and there's a perfect reason why its not allowed. now imagine 2000 threads of that.
    Unless you consider the MMO-Champion forum user base as being relatively intellectually shallow, I see no reason why you would expect 2000 threads of that when it doesn't happen in forums that have a religious section.

Deleted
    I'd be up for this too since I'd like to trade religious and political views with my fellow mmo-champions, but I do see why it's not allowed. This is a gaming forum after all, there might be room for lighthearted banter (off-topic) but does heavyhearted and often heated discussion of those topics really belong here?

10+ Year Old Account
    Not to get all conspiracy theorist, but you could say the same about politics

Now I'm just gonna stray right away from this and say that ultimately a dedicated section would be ridiculous to moderate, as both topics (especially religion) end up with flaming.

---------- Post added 2011-07-31 at 01:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by unplugged View Post
    Unless you consider the MMO-Champion forum user base as being relatively intellectually shallow, I see no reason why you would expect 2000 threads of that when it doesn't happen in forums that have a religious section.

Have you seen some of the posts on these boards?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why not just cut out the middlemen and have a forum dedicated to flaming, trolling and insulting others? Because that is what threads on religion (and most threads on politics) end up being.

Quote Originally Posted by Syntic View Post
    Have you seen some of the posts on these boards?
    It's not 2000 threads of "Religions are false" >_<.

An example is the thestudentroom.co.uk. The religious section there can have some interesting discussions at times. And it doesn't seem overly stupid.

Deleted
    all egoic centered beliefs are false, that people miss interprets teachings of people like jesus muhammed is merely from an egoic mind set

Religion is subjective, hence it's almost pointless to discuss.
    One man's salvation is another man's doom.

Politics might be something, though much of the same

The only good argument for not having a Religion or Politics section is that it is indeed a gaming forum. So it's off-topic. However, not allowing offtopic threads about it is silly.
    And threads that turn into flame-wars can always be closed. That's the point of moderators.

Unless something's changed since ... the last couple of days, there isn't such thing as a thread about religion that doesn't get bombarded by "smart" and "original" (see -> childish) expressions of opinion about religion. We have plenty of good reasons never to allow such threads on this site, and because we're moderators we get to keep it that way. If that's an issue, you could always take it up with an administrator, or you could get your heavy-duty religious and political debate elsewhere.

Deleted
    Religion threads always end in a flaming before the lock. It's something people either love or don't care about and like the trollin'.

No thanks. Who needs more threads full of trolls, haters and flamers.

Quote Originally Posted by unplugged View Post
    It's not 2000 threads of "Religions are false" >_<.
    Yes it will be. Cause this a gamer forum, not a student forum. People of this gamer forum are, often (read: always) god damn retarded and will turn every single possible thread about religion and maybe politics into a flamewar.
    Now imagine being moderator of a section where u are forced to lock every thread. Would suck :P
    Rig:
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.0GHz | Corsair H100 | ASUS GTX670 2GB DirectCU II | ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
    750W Corsair TX V2 | 1 TB WD Caviar Black | 120GB Corsair Force Series 3 | Cooler Master Storm Stryker