Page 4 of 58 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    GAH. Is the GPU supposed to make that noise? ;_;

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    GAH. Is the GPU supposed to make that noise? ;_;
    Coil whine or fan noise? If coil whine, turn off the view.

Coil whine. Turn off the view? Short of just closing the window...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Coil whine. Turn off the view? Short of just closing the window...
    I guess, I don't run the GPU client.
    It should continue running on the taskbar.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    I don't exist yet on the page. :<

3 WU's done today so far though.
    red panda red panda red panda!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    (I personally don't have a problem with it, just pointing out why some people might be "concerned")
    Anyone concerned could actually take the time to learn that you download a package, process that package locally, and then upload the results. Nothing outside of the data from folding goes anywhere. People are too damn paranoid sometimes. This is a project controlled by a department from one of the leading universities in the US. It's not a couple of random students who decided to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    Anyone concerned could actually take the time to learn that you download a package, process that package locally, and then upload the results. Nothing outside of the data from folding goes anywhere. People are too damn paranoid sometimes. This is a project controlled by a department from one of the leading universities in the US. It's not a couple of random students who decided to do this.
    ^ Yea. There's times where questioning things are appropriate, and there are times when just learning/finding out that it's reliable is appropriate.

With that said, I've never actually run the folding@home, just joined (Yes, you were correct Wries) Sweclockers.
    I know that they've made Radeon-cards work with this now.
    But how competetive have they become? Ie, I have my old thickly-overclocked GTX460 1GiB and my new modestly overclocked HD6970. Which would be most effective for computing in this? I'm actually assuming CUDA.
    &nbsp;

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    ^ Yea. There's times where questioning things are appropriate, and there are times when just learning/finding out that it's reliable is appropriate.

With that said, I've never actually run the folding@home, just joined (Yes, you were correct Wries) Sweclockers.
    But how competetive have they become? Ie, I have my old thickly-overclocked GTX460 1GiB and my new modestly overclocked HD6970. Which would be most effective for computing in this? I'm actually assuming CUDA.
    First you say that there are times that finding stuff out yourself is good and then you ask a simple question QQ

I will answer, don't worry :P Tried it myself when I was setting up the clients, AMD 6000 series isn't supported (yet), up untill 5000 series is however, but your GTX460 will be better in folding than any AMD GPU.

Deleted

Cuda. And as an added bonus, Nvidia has a v3 client with tons of improvements but lacks the support for ATI (AMD) cards.

Deleted
    You can also use your PS3 for folding, there should be something on your menu called "Life with playstation"

Nice to see that Folding at Home has made it here.
    I highly encourage people to participate in volunteer computing programs such as this.

I am a research student at working with the University of Delaware to create a game environment and community for Docking at Home, another volunteer computer program, out of a molecule visualization program called VMD. Our hope is to create an environment that will reach out and expand the diversity of our volunteers, as well as being adding human intuition to the parameters used in the simulations.

So I ask those of you who volunteer to Folding at Home, or are thinking about it: What about the concept of volunteer computing interests you? What more could be done to improve your experience? Do you have any suggestions or comments about the topic?

Note: Guess I'm not allowed to use the at sign yet, post count and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    First you say that there are times that finding stuff out yourself is good and then you ask a simple question QQ

I will answer, don't worry :P Tried it myself when I was setting up the clients, AMD 6000 series isn't supported (yet), up untill 5000 series is however, but your GTX460 will be better in folding than any AMD GPU.
    Noted. :P But on such a relative question, with such a fleeting answer, and me already having an idea about it. I just wanted to see what others thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    Cuda. And as an added bonus, Nvidia has a v3 client with tons of improvements but lacks the support for ATI (AMD) cards.
    Thanks. I kind of expected this. (And the only thing I mind is prying open the clip on the PCI-E slot [spring broken, teehee] and finding the third bracket [my gtx460 is a twoslotter afterall] and getting the drivers back. I quite miss the little fellow. Overclocks like a beast.)
    &nbsp;

15+ Year Old Account
    Noted. :P But on such a relative question, with such a fleeting answer, and me already having an idea about it. I just wanted to see what others thought about it.

Thanks. I kind of expected this. (And the only thing I mind is prying open the clip on the PCI-E slot [spring broken, teehee] and finding the third bracket [my gtx460 is a twoslotter afterall] and getting the drivers back. I quite miss the little fellow. Overclocks like a beast.)
    Are you sticking the 460 in a different machine, or putting it in the same machine as the 6970 and running them side by side?

Keep in mind, running the GPU folder will probably put the 460's fan at full tilt, not to mention create more ambient heat around the 6970.

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Are you sticking the 460 in a different machine, or putting it in the same machine as the 6970 and running them side by side?

Keep in mind, running the GPU folder will probably put the 460's fan at full tilt, not to mention create more ambient heat around the 6970.
    I was thinking, replace. The GTX460 at full-blow is still about the same level as the HD6970 at 50%. Not that the HD6970 ever needs to go that high, and is quite inaudible even at 33%.
    I mean, all I play atm is wow (and needforspeed-games) and all I ever do is arenas. Might as well save some electricity! (And on that note, an obvious step is folding, right? ;D)
    &nbsp;

10+ Year Old Account
    I've joined teh team! Using GPU3 Systray client or something.

Have now setup two clients, one for each GTX 460. Pewpew! Gonna melt!

Though the "display" option seem very confusing to me. Only capable of showing progress of one of the GPU's work (regardless of which systray icon I choose display from) while I need to look in the log files in order to confirm that the other GPU isn't just chewing rubbish.

10+ Year Old Account
    as much as I would love to I have to live on 60/gb a month and always cut it close every month

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    Okay, i went an made a folding team for the computer forums:

the team number is: 209552
    the team name is: MMO-Champion.com

team statistics can be found here: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...teamnum=209552

to contribute, put the team number in the team field in the client configuration

you can download it here:
    http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Download

(note, if one of the mods would like to take ownership just let me know)
    i thought this was about some origami team mmo champ had !

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by methanar View Post
    as much as I would love to I have to live on 60/gb a month and always cut it close every month
    It hardly uses any bandwidth.

15+ Year Old Account
    I was thinking, replace. The GTX460 at full-blow is still about the same level as the HD6970 at 50%. Not that the HD6970 ever needs to go that high, and is quite inaudible even at 33%.
    I mean, all I play atm is wow (and needforspeed-games) and all I ever do is arenas. Might as well save some electricity! (And on that note, an obvious step is folding, right? ;D)
    Pretty sure you would be using far more electricity with a folder going. xD

Also, PS3 is now in operation.

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Pretty sure you would be using far more electricity with a folder going. xD

Also, PS3 is now in operation.
    That's the beauty of it ^^

Pff, ps3. I do my nhl-games on the xbox360. (But damn is it loud)
    &nbsp;