Page 10 of 58 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Unclear on the details. Googling my butt off on the subject of bigadv but I think the rules might change now and then. I know as of recently (think July) bigadv WUs aren't worth as much as they used to anyway. But my client DID finish 10 Fahcore A3 WUs before it recieved this fahcore A5.

My client had "always run advmethods" activated in advanced settings during my initial setup. But I recently reconfigured and disabled that as I read running -bigadv will either fetch you a bigadv WU or fall back on -advmethods, so the "always run advmethods" option might have been a dumb thing to say yes to, if it somehow ignores the -bigadv flag.

Also I may refer to fahcores too often. Projects in themselves seem to fetch different kinds of points. One fahcore a3 might give more points than the next of the same. Again I'm kinda very new to this ;o
    Maybe they changed the rules, I'm pretty sure it should have started the 7th SMP WU now, but it started a bigadv one.
    at least, if you can identify those with SMP being fahcore_a3 and bigadv shizzle being fahcore_a5.`

-edit- erm, Wries, I don't know how fast it goes at your PC, but here it almost takes 30 minutes for 1%. This means ~48 hours per WU.. Don't think I'll make the deadline with that :P I changed it back to a non -bigadv assignment for now.

-extra edit- So, that was stupid from me. After 5 minutes of Googling I found that the deadline is 3-4 days, giving me at least 1 day to spare :P
    Last edited by Asmekiel; 2011-08-23 at 06:03 PM.

I'm hooked on this folding thing. I want to make sure I am running the client correctly though. I installed it to it's own directory, and it has the "-smp" argument. Can I run more then one of these at once, or is that pointless? Just trying to get the most out of it while I am away from my computer and it can do work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Maybe they changed the rules, I'm pretty sure it should have started the 7th SMP WU now, but it started a bigadv one.
    at least, if you can identify those with SMP being fahcore_a3 and bigadv shizzle being fahcore_a5.`

-edit- erm, Wries, I don't know how fast it goes at your PC, but here it almost takes 30 minutes for 1%. This means ~48 hours per WU.. Don't think I'll make the deadline with that :P I changed it back to a non -bigadv assignment for now.

-extra edit- So, that was stupid from me. After 5 minutes of Googling I found that the deadline is 3-4 days, giving me at least 1 day to spare :P
    Lol when I pressed reply you posted your extra edit. Yeah it's going slow as heck and for me it's taking slightly more than 30 min per percent. May be the GPU clients stealing some CPU resources as I read they do that and I set higher priority to them.

You can use FAHmon to see estimated time left and info about when the deadline is.

But deadline is kinda long as you saw so no biggie, unless you plan on actually using the PC for yourself, which is morally wrong! Fold cancer!

http://fahwiki.net/index.php/Cores shows some info on what core that is -bigadv only and stuff.

---------- Post added 2011-08-23 at 06:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by k0smo View Post
    I'm hooked on this folding thing. I want to make sure I am running the client correctly though. I installed it to it's own directory, and it has the "-smp" argument. Can I run more then one of these at once, or is that pointless? Just trying to get the most out of it while I am away from my computer and it can do work.
    What CPU do you have? did you download the SMP client or the "normal" one? If you run quad core you should be able to get fahcore A3 stuff with the SMP client and an -advmethods tag (plus -smp tag). Don't know if it's possible with the normal client.

SMP client is here, (scroll down through GPU clients and you'll see V6 Beta SMP2/CPU clients)
    Last edited by Wries; 2011-08-23 at 06:15 PM.

I have an AMD 1055t. I have the SMP client with the "-smp" string. I think the WU I am on now is from the non-SMP client. I'm thinking after it finishes, the next WU will utilize more CPU. What does the "-advmethods" tag do? Should I add that to the shortcut on my desktop?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by k0smo View Post
    I have an AMD 1055t. I have the SMP client with the "-smp" string. I think the WU I am on now is from the non-SMP client. I'm thinking after it finishes, the next WU will utilize more CPU. What does the "-advmethods" tag do? Should I add that to the shortcut on my desktop?
    Think Advmethods opens up for experimental WUs that sometimes gives more points but sometimes just crashes the client/worker due to them being experimental.

Fahcore A3 will pretty much use all of your cores. Fahcore 78 won't.

I don't know if fahcore A3 is limited to -advmethods tagging people only (really don't think so), but I can imagine that many of the experimental WU's are using fahcore A3, so you might be luckier in receiving SMP2 work by having the tag there. Since I enabled it I haven't recieved any fahcore 78 work, but then again for how long have I been folding... <.<

Think Advmethods opens up for experimental WUs that sometimes gives more points but sometimes just crashes the client/worker due to them being experimental.

Fahcore A3 will pretty much use all of your cores. Fahcore 78 won't.

I don't know if fahcore A3 is limited to -advmethods tagging people only (really don't think so), but I can imagine that many of the experimental WU's are using fahcore A3, so you might be luckier in receiving SMP2 work by having the tag there. Since I enabled it I haven't recieved any fahcore 78 work, but then again for how long have I been folding... <.<
    I never set that -advmethods. The guide told me not to :P
    I just realised that I also have a laptop doing nothing at all, Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 2.8GHz and a Nvidia Gefore Quadro FX 770M. Now I assume Quadro means 4 GPU cores, but I'll Google that before trying to set up 4 GPU clients XD.
    Even for this old CPU -smp would be the best option, right?

-edit- FAHmon is pretty nice, even shows PPD. PPD is the points I get for the scoreboard per day? It's a pretty high number compared to what I have as a total now (6x :P)
    What bothers me is that I have to leave the cmd window open all the time...

Wries: Overclockers.com -bigadv checklist
    Last edited by Asmekiel; 2011-08-23 at 08:38 PM.

im already a member of the overclockers.net folding team but im glad to see more people doing this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Knowing Blizz, the graphic settings will be able to be tuned down to play on a microwave oven.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just realised that I also have a laptop doing nothing at all, Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 2.8GHz and a Nvidia Gefore Quadro FX 770M. Now I assume Quadro means 4 GPU cores, but I'll Google that before trying to set up 4 GPU clients XD.
    Quad-GPU would be pretty beast to have in a laptop but nah, not the case. It's the workstation version of the Geforce 9600M GT. Supports CUDA and might be able to fold some.
    Even for this old CPU -smp would be the best option, right?
    Perhaps, but maybe you should do -smp 2. My E5200 can not handle Fahcore A3. Always crashes.

Quadro != 4 Cores. That's just the name given to their workstation line of cards.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

For some reason my Core 2 Duo started fahcore_a4.exe. Dunno what's the difference but it has 750k steps :|

@ispano, well, that makes it a bit easier to set up :P
    I thought it really was 4 GPU's in there, like a quadcore CPU.

-edit- Do the User ID's have to match across PC's? If so, I did something wrong XD
    Last edited by Asmekiel; 2011-08-23 at 08:59 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Now's your chance Wries, I am home now and have to shut off the client on my tower so I can PLAY GAMEZ!

On another note, my PS3 has been going since last Thursday. xD
    red panda red panda red panda!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Now's your chance Wries, I am home now and have to shut off the client on my tower so I can PLAY GAMEZ!
    Darnit!

I just came home too! (but I live in sweden and it's 11 PM over here so I've had the longest day so I win!) And the GPU clients are going down for me as well now so I can get some sleep :/ And the CPU client won't give me any new points for two whole days due to the -bigadv work unit...

I have a creepy feeling that I'll eventually be mad enough to put the PC in the kitchen during nighttime, JUST so I can get some more points. Darn freakin' addictive folding.

15+ Year Old Account
    Darnit!

I just came home too! (but I live in sweden and it's 11 PM over here so I've had the longest day so I win!) And the GPU clients are going down for me as well now so I can get some sleep :/ And the CPU client won't give me any new points for two whole days due to the -bigadv work unit...

I have a creepy feeling that I'll eventually be mad enough to put the PC in the kitchen during nighttime, JUST so I can get some more points. Darn freakin' addictive folding.
    On second thought, I think I will watch a movie so the folder can keep going a little while longer...

/maniacal laughter

I love how we have all gotten for folding now, i think if some people had the option they would set there toaster to fold for the extra points

Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post
    I love how we have all gotten for folding now, i think if some people had the option they would set there toaster to fold for the extra points
    I have an electrical toothbrush!

Is it ok that whenever I open the viewer for the GPU client it says: Core is not running now. If I hover over the icon it does say 200/10000 so I assume it's running.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post
    I am working on setting up 4 really crappy Linux boxes at work to get me some extra points. And by crappy I mean a Prescott and Northwood P4, Athlon Thunderbird, and a Sempron 2600+.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have an electrical toothbrush!

Is it ok that whenever I open the viewer for the GPU client it says: Core is not running now. If I hover over the icon it does say 200/10000 so I assume it's running.
    Viewer is kinda broken I think so it might be running anyway. Think they say so on the GPU3 FAQ.

I run the GPU3 command line client instead (called the "no-nonsense client" on the download page) so it looks pretty much exactly the same as the SMP/normal client. The downside being that I can't hide the client as a systray Icon (unless I install it as a system service I suppose)

---------- Post added 2011-08-23 at 10:30 PM ----------

Yeah initially I set up every PC in the house (and then some) to fold for me but figured out they didn't do THAT much work in total and evaluated it as not worth having so many noisy power-munching machines on. Also don't like having my laptop at 85 C when I'm working with it. (plus, people at work were noticing the fan noise, lol).

So now it's only the PC in sig doing all the work. I still consider that a decent donation to Stanford.

Hmm, I could try to do a sneaky install of some Folding client at the PC at my parents home. All they use it for is email and google anyway. Just have to set it to max the CPU usage to 50% or something and install it as a service *evilface* Not that it would fold fast or something, average uptime is 2 hours per day I think :P

If only I could hijack this computer
    Last edited by Asmekiel; 2011-08-23 at 09:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    AMD 6k series is working fine with V7

https://fah-web.stanford.edu/project...ki/BetaRelease

I'm gonna let my CF 6850's play :P

Quote Originally Posted by Misen View Post
    AMD 6k series is working fine with V7

https://fah-web.stanford.edu/project...ki/BetaRelease

I'm gonna let my CF 6850's play :P
    ETA: 3 hours 37 minutes. It works

-edit- Hmm, looking at the GPU load with MSI Afterburner (CCC won't show the page for some reason) and GPU usage spikes... going from 98% to 20% and everything in between all the time. (6950 at stock speeds)
    I'll OC it to 900/1425 to see what it does then.

-editsss- More than an hour further. The OC seems to have done nothing to how fast it folds and GPU usage is still spikes
    Also the time per frame for my CPU folder (2600K 4.5GHz, -smp -bigadv flags) went from 30 minutes to 40.

update: The client crashed at the 95% mark, taking my whole system with it. After a reboot I tried it again, 30 seconds later the same happened. No more GPU folding for me :(
    Last edited by Asmekiel; 2011-08-24 at 02:17 AM.