Page 51 of 58 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Sounds like coil whine to me.
    It originates from capacitators from your GPUs PCB.

[QUOTE=tetrisGOAT;15389719]Sounds like coil whine to me.
    It originates from capacitators from your GPUs PCB.[/QUOTE
    is it anything to be worried about?

It's not anything dangerous, it's just the annoying noise.

thanks just wanted to make sure before i broke something

So apparently in 1.9 days we're gonna beat France

Thought that was funny for some reason

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Wallz View Post
    ok so i have a question for you guys. after about 1min of folding i start to hear a faint squeak/beep coming from my computer. sounds like from the mobo/gpu region but cannot tell. i fold on my gtx560 and 2500k @ 4.5GHz. my only concern is it would be a warning beep but i dont know where it would be comming from. using my fan controller i was able to eliminate all my case fans and gpu fans from the eqauation. so far i havent heard it before comming from my computer.

Also my temps while everything is folding are all under 60 C for all cores and GPU

thought?

my setup
    t started as a CM HAF 912
    i5 2500k OC @4.5ghz
    CM hyper 212 cooler
    gigabyte OC gtx 560 core clock 2 915mhz
    WD caviar black 1tb
    nzxt senturl lx fan control
    8gb ddr3 1330
    msi p67a-c43 (b3)
    Speaking from personal esperience, it's most likely this:

msi p67a-c43 (b3)
    I used to use this board before swapping it for a Z68 board. It had pretty apparent coil whine when under heavy load when overclocked. It's an el cheapo board for a reason.
    red panda red panda red panda!

thanks asera but tetris was right it is the GPU because when i change my core clock on my gpu the pitch of the whine changes which makes sense to me.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Back in business as of tonight!

My machine will likely be folding constantly for the next... oh... say 24 hours plus? Got college all day tomorrow and when I come home I'll likely go to bed pretty quick. So massive F@H points to announce Deltrus' return! >

---------- Post added 2012-02-23 at 03:42 PM ----------

Well idk what happened but apparently the F@H server didn't like my GPU's folding results, so it stopped the GPU tagged with "failed" and has not started back up at all. I even tried right-clicking the GPU to tell it to fold - nothing.

Had to pause everything just now to get the GPU to work... if it fails again then idk what I'll do. =/
    Last edited by DeltrusDisc; 2012-02-23 at 03:42 PM.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Well idk what happened but apparently the F@H server didn't like my GPU's folding results, so it stopped the GPU tagged with "failed" and has not started back up at all. I even tried right-clicking the GPU to tell it to fold - nothing.

Had to pause everything just now to get the GPU to work... if it fails again then idk what I'll do. =/
    Means your GPU isn't stable... turn down the overclock If it does fail you can go into the data folder (wherever F@H got installed) and delete the data entry.. not 100% sure how or what to delete, but I'm sure there's info somewhere on the interwebs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adappy View Post
    Means your GPU isn't stable... turn down the overclock If it does fail you can go into the data folder (wherever F@H got installed) and delete the data entry.. not 100% sure how or what to delete, but I'm sure there's info somewhere on the interwebs.
    Guh.

This overclock isssss stable though! Hell I used to fold with a 985MHz Core clock, now it's only 950MHz. =/
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adappy View Post
    idk, i've been getting alot of "failed" on some my GPUs, using the latest drivers, and latest v7 client, not sure which is bad, but my money is on the nvidia drivers

10+ Year Old Account
    WOOOOOO!!!!

1,000,000 Folding@Home points achieved!
    "A flower.

The computer I'm running it on is in another building in another city, and I haven't checked it for some weeks. Hope it's still running. ><

edit: Yep, appears so: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...username=Janaa
    Aww.. 75th in the team. Oh well, can't expect much more from a $600 Dell workstation. ^^

On a side note, is "some weeks" a record for a Vista machine staying up?
    Last edited by Janaa; 2012-02-24 at 01:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    The true measure of a person is how they act when they know they won't get caught.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    WOOOOOO!!!!

1,000,000 Folding@Home points achieved!
    So.... Close.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo6912 View Post
    So.... Close.....
    I stopped folding until I hear of some fix for the NVidia bug, plus with my computer still having artifacting problems after a few days of being on, I'm just shutting it off when not in use.
    "A flower.

Folding at home is also on the PS3 if you with the system care. Right now my PS3 is doing it and it's almost done I think about 900 units, although i've had to redownload the software a few times so its' truly done about 1300 - 1500 Work Units. Some people have dedicated PS3 and computers to folding, now THAT'S distributed and dedication.

Deleted
    So just tried to set up the F@H stuff today, and just had a few questions as I don't really have a clue how it works.

Does it use both the CPU & GPU at the same time? (On the same project? Different one?)

In the ss below, it says my GPU load is 0%. Is that normal? The clocks aren't sitting on idle and the temps are increasing so I'm guessing it's doing something.

My 'go power' seems to be really changing a lot too. When I first started, the PPD was on like 6000-7000, then I paused and came back and turned it on a again. PPD was sitting on 600-700 (on 3000 now), and the current project has jumped from 9 hours -> 6 hours -> 1 1/2 hours now over about 15mins, without any of the usage changing.
    Is this just the randomness of the project, or something else maybe?

Is there any setting I should be changing from the default they come as?

Thanks for any help!

10+ Year Old Account
    @Resinderate - They work on different WUs but in terms of the GPU, it is likely just getting started. In regards to the PPD, the i5-2500K is not the best at folding, to be fair. Trust me, it took me a good 6 months or so to reach 1,000,000 points where Cyanotical on the other hand was waaaaay ahead.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    At the moment I have 2 units in the work queue, one for the GPU and one for the CPU. But the GPU one isn't progressing at all and the CPU one just keeps finishing, and then getting the next Work Unit to work on. So I'm guessing it's not normal that the GPU basically isn't folding at all?

Should I try making a new slot or something to refresh it recognising the GPU, or could it be GPU drivers or something? (I'll have to go take a look if I've got the latest now!)

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah check your GPU drivers - F@H is not the most friendly always though with the absolute latest drivers, you have to get one that they certify, essentially.
    "A flower.