Guild Wars, what to expect?

I played the trial for a short while and wondering if it gets better. Does gear affect you as much as a traditional MMO and do the spells get stronger as you level?

Just wondering what to expect should I buy all the expansions

Q: Does gear affect you as much as a traditional MMO?

Not really. In Guild Wars there is a gear plateau depending on the class you play as. Light armor caps at 60 AP, medium at 70, and Heavy at 80. What matters is the insignias you apply to your armor. Extra health, elemental damage resistance, extra energy, etc..

Weapons work the same way. A max damage sword will always be 15-22 damage for example.

Q: Do the spells get stronger as you level.

Yes. You get attribute points when you level that can be used to increase the effectiveness of your skills.
    Last edited by Plagous; 2011-08-01 at 02:03 AM.

Deleted
    Yes it gets better in every single campaign. Gear doesn't affect as much as in traditional MMO, however the enchantments does make a difference.
    Spells get stronger the more you spec into them, let's say you play an elementalist and you want to level up your water spells, then you skill up water in the skill menu, and the water skills get stronger.

Is there still an active community at the end-game so you can still accomplish things?

Honestly the game is starting to show its age. Most of the groups you'll find now-a-days are for speed clearing the 'elite' areas. Most of the other areas of the game will probably require you to use henchmen or heroes (requires Nightfall or EotN) to complete them.

10+ Year Old Account
    ATM it's mostly Bots and people spamming FoW/UW for Obsidian gear and filling their Hall of Monuments for GW2

Quote Originally Posted by Judai View Post
    ATM it's mostly Bots and people spamming FoW/UW for Obsidian gear and filling their Hall of Monuments for GW2
    Well that's a shame :S

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Like most of the people are trying to say if you care for the story content play it... Get eye of the north as well like that is the only real xpack the others play at a complete other theme and other part of the world. But I personally waiting for GW2. Guild Wars 2 is set 250 years after the original series, so I think the story is easy to follow when you start out with GW2.