Page 11 of 94 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    There's going to be real money for items trading in Diablo no matter what blizzard does (or doesn't) do about it. There's no way they can police it. It's impossible - if they spend thousands of dollars trying to get one site shut down, they just reopen 30 minutes later under a new name, and the process has to start over again. They can try to track who's buying items... but let's just say I know people that have been buying LARGE amounts of gold in WoW for 6 years without so much as a warning. If they go after the sellers' accounts, they run into the same problem since they can just switch IP addresses and restart with a new account 5 minutes later. Instead of allowing that to happen on third party sites where players feel they have to go to be competitive with others doing the same thing, they now go through the game itself. It's secure, no risk of identity theft or scamming, no needing to go to sites that are potentially malicious in search of a "legit" one to buy the item you want. Blizzard essentially just put gold/item selling websites out of business. I'll grant that this isn't a good move for competitive play, and if Blizzard wants the competitive portion of the game (ie, Arenas) to have any "e-sport" appeal, they will, of course, have to make items used there be earned through other methods ("arena points" of some description earned directly through playing arenas). But it should be stressed that that was going to be true no matter if they controlled the real-money market or let third party sites do it -- this announcement, regardless of what else you think about it, has zero impact on that aspect.

Explain to me the need to make a profit on this on their end. It's no more a chore than running the normal AH, except they're making extra money off you.

Quote Originally Posted by Decimation View Post
    Reel it in, buddy. I'm not stating this to get my e-peen all flustered, and you can stop your e-flexing as well. One company made this game, the same one that made WoW. Don't argue semantics, people were up in arms proclaiming on this very same site that they would not support Blizzard if they let items be sold for real-world cash. This is a Blizzard product, that will be using the same system people claim to be so against. Again, as per my original statement, know that nothing anyone feels or boycotts or claims we need to "wait to get the whole picture", will change anything about their plans. This will make it to WoW, it's only a matter of when.
    WoW: Get a BoE item. Sell BoE item for gold. Gold has a real world cash equivalence. If item = BoP, deck character out with other BoPs, sell account for real world cash.

Diablo III. Skip all that nonsense. Sell in-game for real world cash.

Difference? The Diablo III way is a smart implementation of the WoW way, and the WoW way cannot be stopped other than to implement this new Diablo III way. Adding this feature to WoW would be a win from every angle.

I honestly don't understand why people are complaining. Even today there are still websites that people can buy Diablo 2 Items from. I have to imagine that if they are still up and running there is a market and people are still buying. This way Blizzard ensures that the transactions are done safely AND they get their share of the cut.

TL;DR It was already being done Blizz is just doing it official now.

please send me an in site message

I literally just saw the announcement now and am gonna read through the hug fucking big large post

but i have a question and if anyone can answer it by sending me a private message please please do so

is world of warcraft's auction house getting the same treatment?
    like the ability to sell items for cash?

the way it read to me is if i play diablo and sell stuff from it it gets saved ontu my b net account and i can use that cash to pay for my world of warcraft subscription

but did they say anything world of warcraft getting the ability to sell their items like this? if not why not?

Power to the people ... the way to fight gold sellers, maybe. But I fear more for the social implications. In Wow we reached the point, where we are friendly and spend gold on helping out others because almost everyone has more or less enough of it. We don't care whoe get's BOE's because in the end it's only ingame gold. If one would be able to sell said BOE's for only 4$ each there would be so much griefing, flaming, needing, formerly normal people become bastards if profit is involved.

So this model is not applicable for wow. How is loot distributed in D2/D3 anyways? This might already fix it partially.

Quote Originally Posted by Sackman View Post
    who would do competition based pvp in Diablo? lol
    Because they've announced it's in the game, are you retarded?
    Wedge: "You know, the Imps on Coruscant used to call two Corellians together a conspiracy. Three they’d call a fight."
    Corran: "More fools they, then. Any Corellian knows three of us together is a victory."

Quote Originally Posted by ShiroRX View Post
    Explain to me the need to make a profit on this on their end. It's no more a chore than running the normal AH, except they're making extra money off you.
    Actual monetary transactions DO take more work than an inhouse AH if you think its the same you're crazy.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not really sure what to make of this. I certainly don't think it's an awesome idea to bring real money into the game like this. Will we see tier armor sets for WoW on sale at the Blizzard store next?

15+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't mind this in WoW actually, you'd be able to pay your subscription just by playing enough...if I remember correctly EVE used the same model and that works pretty great?

Could be a nightmare for the support when accounts get hacked and items are sold for money or own money is gone for something else etc.For people good at "playing the ah", it could be a nice way to make quite a bit of real money.People can earn money without leaving the game.Problem might be, that good+ items will only be available on the store with real currency.Gold farmers can sell their gold directly on the ah. But since everyone and her mother can buy and sell gold now, the price may raise or fall down, not sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelle View Post
    Hmm... I guess I will definately be purchasing an authenticator or something for Diablo 3 before playing - not even funny to think you could log on one day to find not the inconvenience of someone having sold stuff off your char, but also emptied your bank account buying items o.o I really hope they will crack down on bots better than in wow, being as half the time on my server I can see the AH flooded with X rare item by a player with the name djahfafg for instance... in this new auction house the sellers name and identity will be protected. Gives me even less of a clue how to avoid buying off bots... not that I'll be parting with any real life money for items - thats not my thing! What I could forsee is the in game gold AH being neglected for decent or awesome items, leaving you either to farm on an insanely low drop chance - or fork out real money, this makes me a bit sad. Even if I look at the AH and think something is overpriced in gold, it's nice to have the option to save up for it :
    Actually if you read it you spend money to effectually get "battle.net funds". Example you pay 10 dollars get 10 dollars in your battle net account you could use for wow, or diablo 3 item buying so say you buy a few items and sell a couple and your balance is now up to 16.35 or w/e then you could pay for a month of wow with that or convert that back to real cash but with fees taken out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    I wouldn't mind this in WoW actually, you'd be able to pay your subscription just by playing enough...if I remember correctly EVE used the same model and that works pretty great?
    The thing is EVE set it up to be more or less player driven economy and up until only recently had no actually item purchasing involved.

I think this is GREAT. I promised myself I would never get involved with another game from this piece of shit company after WoW. I wasn't sure I would be able to follow through with that when it came to D3. I'll be able to now, though.

Three things,

1. Did Diablo3 gold just get listed on the US stock exchange?
    2. If you think that the AH will not be a giant list of gold farmers stuff listed at Blizz charge +1 cent you are all kidding yourself.
    3. WTB Diablo3 where this does not exist.

This killed EQ2, it will kill D3 too.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_Moon View Post
    Power to the people ... the way to fight gold sellers, maybe. But I fear more for the social implications. In Wow we reached the point, where we are friendly and spend gold on helping out others because almost everyone has more or less enough of it. We don't care whoe get's BOE's because in the end it's only ingame gold. If one would be able to sell said BOE's for only 4$ each there would be so much griefing, flaming, needing, formerly normal people become bastards if profit is involved.

So this model is not applicable for wow. How is loot distributed in D2/D3 anyways? This might already fix it partially.
    This is exactly what I'm afraid of.
    "Please find my dear friends.
    Dead or Alive" -redmakoto

Deleted
    u just destroyed the game =S

Quote Originally Posted by Majyqman View Post
    Can someone do a compilation of every reason Blizzard has ever given for why it's not OK to buy in game items (even just vanity stuff!) with RL gold... and then ask them why what's good for Diablo isn't good for WoW?

arguments aside - http://www.diablowiki.net/Auction_House
    has both sides listed impartially, with comments from bashiok, and developers during various PR exercises and comments made in community forums.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just changed my mind about playing D3. After years of excitement. Thanks, Blizzard.

Not really sure what to think about it. It's an interesting concept, and if I can make money off playing the game, then I would welcome it. But still leaves me with an odd taste in my mouth. I'll just have to wait and see how it actually works out.

If I manage to pay for diablo by playing diablo... I am very happy to see this added!At the same time, it's going to stop people from enjoying their items because they could just sell them for gold.It's like gold buying, but instead of spending it you're losing the opportunity to have sold it - thus losing money in the long run.Overall, this will make or break the game.