Zygor - TOS legality

I don't know if this thread is kosher or not, if it isn't, I'm sorry and please go ahead and lock it. I made this simply because I'm perplexed as to how this company is getting away with the following:

I came across this (apparently very popular) leveling addon a little while ago, and for the life of me I can't see how this doesn't fall under the whole "no paid addons" deal. It costs upwards of $40 depending on what package you want.

It seems the following happens -

1. You pay them money.
    2. You gain access to an installer.
    3. The installer automatically downloads and installs the addon and associated guides.

Their catch is that the addon is free to download as a trial, and that their guides are simply text files (this is what you're paying for) able to be read by the addon.

HOWEVER, since their installer simply converts the text guide into a LUA file, which is then placed in your interface folder, doesn't that just make it an addon in Blizzard's eyes?

Wouldn't it also be fair to say that we should be able to redistribute the full addon and associated guides contained in the LUA file as much as we please?

Last edited by glo; 2011-08-01 at 10:40 AM.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

When you pay for Zygor, you're paying for the guide. You're paying for the information. You are free to just read the guide if you want, the addon is just there to help you through the guide.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    When you pay for Zygor, you're paying for the guide. You're paying for the information. You are free to just read the guide if you want, the addon is just there to help you through the guide.
    Yes, but the guide is then merged into an addon upon installation. This is what I don't get.

When they merge information into an addon, it's still an addon.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Is this legal? Will my account get banned for using this guide?
    Zygor Guides has been in business for over 3 years and not 1 customer has ever had their account banned for using our products. Some people are confused over how this is possible given Blizzards rules and policies which forbid the sale of addons. Zygor Guides is not in the addon selling business. We're in the guide selling business. The addons we create are available for free via our trial downloads. When a customer buys our guide they are not given a premium version of our addons. Instead, they are given access to our leveling guide in text format (ebook) which can then plug directly into our free addons. This seperation allows us to sell our digital guides and keep Blizzard happy.
    From their FAQ. It's a technicality, really, but it's one that works. If Blizzard had a problem with it, I'm sure Zygor Guides would be long gone by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanno View Post
    Jame's leveling guide is so much better than Zygors guide. It's also free. Check it out. It has an in-game addon that is so easy to use.
    Eh. Matter of opinion. I tried Jame's, but I much prefer Zygor's.

I'm just confused as to why this is allowed. I always thought the rule was that anything contained in your interface addon folder is considered an addon in Blizzard's eyes. And these paid "guides" are definitely in that folder and function in-game.
    Last edited by mmocba105e19de; 2011-08-01 at 04:06 PM.

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    I'm just confused as to why this is allowed. I always thought the rule was that anything contained in your interface addon folder is considered an addon in Blizzard's eyes. And these paid "guides" are definitely in that folder and function in-game.
    To be quite honest? I have no idea, but I wouldn't frustrate yourself trying to figure out. Like I said, if Blizzard had an issue with it, you can bet your bottom dollar that ZG would be dead. I'm sure ZG managed to find some loophole that allows them to distribute their guide (and their complimentary addon) without Blizzard swinging the proverbial banhammer at their faces.
    Last edited by mmocba105e19de; 2011-08-01 at 04:08 PM.

They seem to get away with it (as others have posted) by having the addon free and the information it displays to cost $$
    Last edited by mmocba105e19de; 2011-08-01 at 04:09 PM.

Deleted
    Its the same way theyve got around ToS for ages.

Counterstrike cheats used to just offer you to pay for forum access. The private forum had access to the download.

Blizzard dictate that you should not pay for an addon, and that its code should be freely visible and not obfuscated or concealed.
    If the addon itself is freely available, but only data it uses is being sold then that may be how it gets round the restrictions.
    Blizzard are not stating that any resources available to the addon should be as freely available as the addon itself.

Deleted
    In my very personal opinion, distributing an additional Lua file for the addon is, in fact, offering a premium version of the addon. Code is code. Blizzard may see that differently.

As your question has been answered, there's nothing to be discuss except arguing whether or not you need leveling guides and/or which leveling guides are the best. As that's not the scope of this forum - thread closed.