Page 1 of 21
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Diablo 3 single player still requires permanent connection to internet ...

just heard about this news, and i'm pretty disappointed. I mean i see this only effecting legit players who bought the game or guys who have bad connections/high latency in their area. Pirates and hackers are still gonna play it offline and get away with doing what they want while the rest have to suffer with these new 'security' restrictions... WTF happened to just being able to buy a game, install it and play - hassle free. Big Fail!

Deleted
    Not heard this o.O any blue post evidence?

As I understood it, it will work the same way as Starcraft 2: You can play offline, but you won't have acess to some features (e.g. achievements, Auction House).

Maybe I misunderstood though.... But even if you _DO_ need an active connection, I doubt that will affect your singleplayer gaming (by which I mean the campaign). This is not an MMO, so as long as you keep to the campaign the monsters/movements/actions should all take place on your machine only: no lag.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gridalien View Post
    Not heard this o.O any blue post evidence?
    I quote -

According to Rob Pardo, executive producer of Diablo III, this was done mainly to combat the style of hacking present in previous versions of Diablo. "In both Diablo and especially in Diablo II, I think the intuition for a lot of people when they're playing the game is 'I want to make my character offline away from that scary battle net environment. And then once I have this powerful character, I'll jump online.' But the problem with that concept is we can't really detect if they're cheating. They might have the capability to hack their character, things like that, so at that point we can't really allow that character to be in the battle net environment. Then they're going to have to restart their character, which is exactly what happened in Diablo II, which was really unfortunate."

"Your character will be online on battle net the moment you start playing," said Pardo. "You can play a solo experience like you would in Diablo II, it's just your character is on Blizzard's servers and authenticated." This character can then hop into multiplayer games and trade items with others through battle net.

This system functions essentially like an MMO, where if your connection is interrupted during a game you'll be dropped back out to the login screen. It differs from what Blizzard did with StarCraft II because though the Wings of Liberty required an initial online activation, the campaign could still be played in an offline mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Callypso View Post
    As I understood it, it will work the same way as Starcraft 2: You can play offline, but you won't have acess to some features (e.g. achievements, Auction House).

Maybe I misunderstood though.... But even if you _DO_ need an active connection, I doubt that will affect your singleplayer gaming (by which I mean the campaign). This is not an MMO, so as long as you keep to the campaign the monsters/movements/actions should all take place on your machine only: no lag.
    You cant play sc2 sp without an internet connection afaik.

Deleted
    It's the worst thing I've seen in Diablo III, I wanted to go to my mountain house to play (small old village) to give me an even darker ambiance but I don't have internet connection there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes, you can. The game does offer a offline mode (which name I now forgot).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothias View Post
    This system functions essentially like an MMO, where if your connection is interrupted during a game you'll be dropped back out to the login screen. It differs from what Blizzard did with StarCraft II because though the Wings of Liberty required an initial online activation, the campaign could still be played in an offline mode.
    I might as well give up on the game then. Since I have massive number of interruptions on my connection.

My ISP is great for speed (120 Mbit), but it's just our house that apparently has issues since the last speed upgrade. Even went through different modems and routers, no use.
    They even send us a letter saying they found a problem at their side, but they still haven't fixed it. It's been like this for almost a year.

And they never take you serious... "Did you reset your modem/router?", sigh.

Thanks Blizzard, you just ruined my expectations. Now all I can hope for is my ISP fixing it soon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Yes, you can. The game does offer a offline mode (which name I now forgot).
    You can only go offline mode after logging in.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    You can only go offline mode after logging in.
    After logging in once, to activate the game.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/01/diablo-iii-no-mods-online-only-cash-trades/#more-68121

“One of the things that we felt was really important was that if you did play offline, if we allowed for that experience, you’d start a character, you’d get him all the way to level 20 or level 30 or level 40 or what have you, and then at that point you might decide to want to venture onto Battle.net. But you’d have to start a character from scratch, because there’d be no way for us to guarantee no cheats were involved, if we let you play on the client and then take that character online.” Also, piracy.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yeah, you can. You don't get achievements and some other minor stuff, but you can play the campaign just fine.

And this probalby means that, if I decide to buy D3, might end up as part of the infamous "games I bought but had to crack due to some asshat requirements" collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    After logging in once, to activate the game.
    As with most games these days.

From what I've read you need constant connection to play even the single player and so far the "log in once" has been only speculation by wishful players.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisuro View Post
    Yeah, you can. You don't get achievements and some other minor stuff, but you can play the campaign just fine.

And this probalby means that, if I decide to buy D3, might end up as part of the infamous "games I bought but had to crack due to some asshat requirements" collection.
    That's a big collection I think (at least mine), it's a lame that we have to crack legally bought games -.-

10+ Year Old Account
    The idea that you could just buy a game and never touch the Internet went out the window with the addition of Real Money Transfers.

I mean, can you imagine?
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

15+ Year Old Account
    Might I ask, WHY is this bad that you need constant Internet connection...?
    Offline = easier to hack it, is this what u want....?
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Well I know this will be the first Blizzard game I will not spend money on. I could've looked through the cash-in stuff and no mod support. But my connection is so friggin' unstable and has been so for past months that it would be simply become hell to try play with it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Biston View Post
    The idea that you could just buy a game and never touch the Internet went out the window with the addition of Real Money Transfers.

I mean, can you imagine?
    Oooh, a shiny piece of gear... time to duplicate!

Yeah, I can see why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    Might I ask, WHY is this bad that you need constant Internet connection...?
    Offline = easier to hack it, is this what u want....?
    errm gee, people with dodgy internet connections for a start....(there are a lot of them out there)

not to mention the fact that primarily,its a single player game. So why the hell should customers be expected to have another requirement just to friggin play? makes no sense to me and i don't believe its the solution to solving piracy/hacking. if anything it will increase it...

really hope this idea will get dropped...