Poll: Harder to play at 2200?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Harder to play @ 2,200 Rating - DPS or Healer?

Reason I ask is, last season I played to 2,092 rating as a holy pally in 3s.

I want to try out a dps class in arena. I was wondering how much easier or harder it is to play a dps, rather than a healer.

In arena or RBGs

10+ Year Old Account
    I play a healer at 2800. I think DPS at 2200 is harder.

As a DPS, you have much more to watch out for.

DPS have to:
    1) Keep up damage on the kill target
    2) If necessary, keep up damage on secondary targets
    3) CC almost all of the time
    4) Transition from offensive to defensive when needed (peels/heals)
    As a DPS, timing is crucial on your CC and damage.

Healers have to:
    1) Manage partners' health (healing, defensive dispels)
    2) If possible, stop incoming damage
    3) CC when appropriate
    4) Play offensive when going for kills (offensive dispels, damage)

Quote Originally Posted by Entropic View Post
    I think it's all subjective to what you're better at. There is no definitive answer really.
    Take this into account as well. For example, when I log over to my newly 85 Mage, it's difficult for me to play at the level I do on my Shaman.
    Last edited by Whisperawr; 2011-08-01 at 08:04 PM.

I think it's all subjective to what you're better at. There is no definitive answer really.

Healing in pvp is actually pretty simple for most classes. Priest is probably the exception.

So I'll go with dps.
    Quote Originally Posted by lol View Post
    I've had lucid dreams a couple times.

I usually imagine some girl I have a crush on and DEMOLISH her, then go back to the computer and start farming whiptail.

is resto shaman pretty fun healing in arena? and in rated BGs?

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the class, high dps and mobility classes like DK and warrior are easy and the burden falls mostly on the healer. Healer class matter too, shamans especially are hard to master but also give a lot. And then there are rogues and mages that need to know when they have to dps and when they have to cc, a lot of times they work harder than the healers. Go for rogue+rest sham, you'll be working your ass off

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperawr View Post
    Take this into account as well. For example, when I log over to my newly 85 Mage, it's difficult for me to play at the level I do on my Shaman.
    Same for me when I try to PvP on my Holy Pally. Getting to 2200 was a breeze on my Lock, getting above 2k on my Pally is a nightmare. Whisperawr covered pretty much everything except positioning. Positioning is key to both roles and can effectively cost you games. I do, however, believe good positioning is more vital as a healer than a DPS.

Deleted
    option c
    equal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Entropic View Post
    I do, however, believe good positioning is more vital as a healer than a DPS.
    True that. And it's hard for a lot of people to notice that they have bad positioning.

For example, when I get switched to, I don't run to a pillar. I run out into the open so my partners can peel effectively. When they are peeled, then you can run behind pillars. Also, staying back on your side of the arena and peeking out behind pillars to heal when needed. And then staying back on your side of the arena just so the other team has to come across from the middle where they're easily controlled. Then also standing in line of site of some players, but also out of line of site of others. It's easy once you hardly have to think about it anymore and it's just something you do.

10+ Year Old Account
    I play a healer at 2800. I think DPS at 2200 is harder.

As a DPS, you have much more to watch out for.

DPS have to:
    1) Keep up damage on the kill target
    2) If necessary, keep up damage on secondary targets
    3) CC almost all of the time
    4) Transition from offensive to defensive when needed (peels/heals)
    As a DPS, timing is crucial on your CC and damage.

Healers have to:
    1) Manage partners' health (healing, defensive dispels)
    2) If possible, stop incoming damage
    3) CC when appropriate
    4) Play offensive when going for kills (offensive dispels, damage)

*blush*

I honestly wouldn't know. I have no experience as healer in pvp so i won't talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Emothianes View Post
    Healing in pvp is actually pretty simple for most classes. Priest is probably the exception.

So I'll go with dps.
    I think you'll find the exception is Druid. Druids may have a lot of CC (not really sure you'd count hibernate) but when it comes down to single target healing, Druids barely have anything really. I think the only chance you have of being successful on a Druid is if you have partners you know extremely well i.e. played previous season with or if you're playing a really defensive comp (RLD maybe?).

Priests however, do have a bit of CC (one being an instant AoE fear which is very strong) and they also have Manaburn. Manaburn creates a lot of pressure alone and combined with DoTs + offensive dispels, priests come out on top (opinion, not fact). I also consider priests to have a strong single target heal (they should be strong single target healers since disc was intended as a 'tank healing' spec).

they're both about equal. both have their pros and cons... it's just about which you find easier to play.

personally, I like healing better at ~2200 rating. being a healer keeps me more aware of what's going on versus being a dps that stays on a target all the time. still a surprisingly huge amount of bads that play at 2200 rating either cause they're getting carried or playing a fotm comp.

True that. And it's hard for a lot of people to notice that they have bad positioning.

For example, when I get switched to, I don't run to a pillar. I run out into the open so my partners can peel effectively. When they are peeled, then you can run behind pillars. Also, staying back on your side of the arena and peeking out behind pillars to heal when needed. And then staying back on your side of the arena just so the other team has to come across from the middle where they're easily controlled. Then also standing in line of site of some players, but also out of line of site of others. It's easy once you hardly have to think about it anymore and it's just something you do.
    I remember playing you in arena and in bgs on your hunter and you using that damned snake.

Quote Originally Posted by taybox View Post
    is resto shaman pretty fun healing in arena? and in rated BGs?
    It's fun due to high mobility, but in RBG's you're usually the first one targetted, as a smoke bomb+throwdown+your choice of insta interrupt is an instant kill. Not bad in arena though, VERY good if you run with an afflic lock and a dk/rogue/mage. Insane amount of burst, cc, and mobility right there.

I think I mainly want to focus on rated BGs.

I either wanna play a resto shaman, lock, or DK/Warrior,.

Quote Originally Posted by taybox View Post
    I think I mainly want to focus on rated BGs.

I either wanna play a resto shaman, lock, or DK/Warrior,.
    If you're only focusing RBGs, I would probably roll Warlock.

Although in Arena you'll find yourself getting trained constantly since you have pretty defense compared to others not to mention that Warlock is probably the hardest caster (and possibly overall) to play in Arena. Keeping up pressure on all targets, dodging interrupts at the right time to max sure your DoTs have 100% uptime or as close to 100% as possible seems a pretty hard task.

A well played warrior can destroy FC's if trapped in a smokebomb, but warlocks are simply amazing by multi dotting + fearing healers, keeping up constant pressure, and controlling.

Deleted
    It depends really.

Resto Druid past 2200 is harder to play than resto shaman past 2200

Frost mages are easier to play pre-2200 than most other dps pre-2200.

No definitive answer but i would probably go with dps overall being harder to master post-2200.

15+ Year Old Account
    Healing is A LOT easier, at least in the case of Resto Shaman. (Only healer I've played and do currently play)

Really depends on class. 2200 as HolyPaly is not comparable to 2200 as a DiscPriest or RestoDruid.