Thread: SSD or more RAM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NINIKOKO View Post
    Human eye can't detect more than 8gb of ram so go with the ssd.
    Sorry what?!

---------- Post added 2011-08-02 at 08:32 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    If you're video editing, get the RAM. Not sure if that model of Intel SSD has the issues others do or not.

Also, it's only the SATA-3 SSD's with bad rep at current... and all OCZ SSD's of course.
    Which reminds me... what's the point of buying into an SSD that's not SATA3?

(If something costs that much it might as well be the best it can be)

Anandtech did some Z68 SRT testing with both the Intel drive (Intel 331 20GB) and a Corsair F40.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4337/z...andforce-ssd/5

I haven't seen many reviews of SRT, but from what Anand is saying about it, the more storage you have for the SRT cache, the better performance you'll get due to data being evicted from the cache on the smaller drives.
    01001000 01101001 00100001

10+ Year Old Account
    I definitely lol'd
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Pretty much all boards support triple channel, it's the CPU's that work more effectively with either dual or triple, in this case the i7 2600k works better on dual channel.
    1155 doesn't support triple channel. It literally has two channels with most mid-end and up boards having two DIMM slots per channel. You could put in three sticks of RAM there but it wouldn't be called triple-chan, it'd run in single channel mode.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    I definitely lol'd
    as did I .

10+ Year Old Account

Because often the difference in speed can only be measured and not so much felt. I feel no difference in snappiness between my X25-M G2 (3Gbps interface) and my Intel 510 (6Gbps interface). So if a SATA 3Gbps model cost less it might be a yummy opportunity to save some money and buy some coke/beer/cheese doodles.

I WOULD have voted for a Intel 320 series 80GB or bigger. But they had that "drive shrinks to 8MB"-issue. Has that been resolved? Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    I WOULD have voted for a Intel 320 series 80GB or bigger. But they had that "drive shrinks to 8MB"-issue. Has that been resolved? Anyone?
    New firmware is present. Not that it would've affected me anyway.

10+ Year Old Account

SATA3 gives you the same flow with a bigger pipe. Not very useful when the old pipe is still big enough.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    SATA3 gives you the same flow with a bigger pipe. Not very useful when the old pipe is still big enough.
    And you'd be happy using the smaller pipe because of that? when there are drives there that will exceed the capacity of the "older" pipe?

To put it another way.... when buying a car... would you rather buy a clapped out old banger (HDD) a clean <10yr old car (SATA2 SSD) or a SuperCar (SATA3)?

Given that the "10yr old car" is going to cost you within 10-20% of the SuperCar?

The point of not buying a SATA3 SSD is if your system you plan to use it in won't have SATA3 support for a while. Or has crummy SATA3 support. Like the Marvell controller in my system is pretty much garbage.

Course if you know you'll use it in a SATA3 system down the road, then sure. But if not, that's 10-20% you save.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

I lol'd as well.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Get the Crucial m4 you linked!!!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

In strictly WoW performance, more than 8G of ram is less of an upgrade than the lower access times on an SSD. (I really wish WoW had a better way to tell it how much texture information to hold in memory.)

http://www.storagereview.com/ is a good site to read up on said SSD's you're considering. I wouldn't get anything less than 120G drive these days though.

(If I ever won the lottery, I'd build a system around using one of these: http://www.storagereview.com/lsi_war..._slp300_review )
    Last edited by wyrdone; 2011-08-02 at 08:43 PM. Reason: minor edit

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Damn, that's pretty rough compared to my 128gb. =S
    I think i'll leave the SSD's for now....

Crucial M4 64gb
    Crucial C300 64gb

To be honest the only SSD with no problem atm is the Crucial M4 or C300 .. all other SSD with sandforce controler or intel controler have problem (Crucial SSD have marvell controler), mmh Gen2 Sandforce have no problem actually only the Gen3.

Both M4 and C300 are Really GOOD boot drive they have really high sequential read and high random read IOPS. Thats the most important for a boot drive. But they suck compared to the competitions when it come to write speed, but who care you will probably just install windows on it and a 1 or 2 games and never touch it untill you change ur games.
    Last edited by DarkBlade6; 2011-08-02 at 08:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    Crucial M4 64gb
    Crucial C300 64gb

To be honest the only SSD with no problem atm is the Crucial M4 or C300 .. all other SSD with sandforce controler or intel controler have problem (Crucial SSD have marvell controler), mmh Gen2 Sandforce have no problem actually only the Gen3.

Both M4 and C300 are Really GOOD boot drive they have really high sequential read and high random read IOPS. Thats the most important for a boot drive. But they suck compared to the competitions when it come to write speed, but who care you will probably just install windows on it and a 1 or 2 games and never touch it untill you change ur games.
    I wouldn't be using it as a boot drive, but as an SRT drive... it's too small for me to use for anything else.

SSD imo, but get something at least 60GB+. You'll find that the space will run out quick because you're going to want to put more and more apps on it :P.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm so glad people read the contents of a thread....