WoW Client Problem

Hiya
    So, I own both American and European accounts, A while ago I decided to freeze my european account, and today I found out I could redeem 7 days of gameplay on my American account, And so I did , and then I changed my realmlist file to US, For some reason it started installing some sort of a patch which is not possible.. cause I have the latest version installed, so I thought to myself - screw this.. I'm not going to download a 1.5GB nonsense patch and so I rolled it back to EU ..
    Problem is, It's giving me the same thing, It's trying to download that 1.5GB Patch.. What the hell ?
    Could anyone please help me out with this ? I'd appreciate that very much !

Thanks in advance,
    Len.
    Last edited by Len; 2011-08-01 at 10:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    no idea but whats the big deal are you playing on dialup or dealing with a bandwith quota if not just do it and deal with it.

Heh, no not really.. just cba installing a 1.5GB patch for no reason ?
    I just let the thing run right now, It reached the green point where it says available to play, I clicked "Start" it loaded the whole thing, and then crashed

15+ Year Old Account
    The North American client is different than the European client. I would assume that the download was to switch between the two. I would assume that since it started writing, it needed to re-write the European file when you switched back. I've never tried to swap between them though, so it's an assumption.

15+ Year Old Account
    I agree with Cil - I think this may be a question better asked on the WoW CS forums. You may end up having to do a fresh install =\

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think its that different as I once switched it from US in the config to EU so i could play on EU servers with a trial account and I didn't have to download anything it just worked keep in mind when i did this it was either 4.06 or 4.1 and definitely not 4.2 at the time

have you ever deleted files inside the data/cache folder maybe it was trying to replace them

*lockblock - no I haven't deleted any files inside the data/cache folders

Tried the american tech support forum, no answer yet..
    Perhaps I should try and roll back to a previous version , does anyone know how to do that ?

/Len

You probably started to download all the different localized versions (french, german, russian etc etc). They each have their own Voice samples for instance. With patch 4.2 they introduced a new language swap system that is supposed to make it better to switch between languages. Maybe that requires you to have all the others installed. And as far as I know, the enUS client only has French, Spanish and English files on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to play both US and EU, You can't switch the realmlist between the two though like you can with a 3rd party server since as Cilrazz said, they are two different clients (This is also why they can't transfer characters or items between the two (apparently).

Although when I used to play them both, if you tried it, it didn't download a patch....

Does either of your clients work anymore? If they do, then keep them separate (I went as far as to put them on different drives but you don't really need to do that, just use a separate folder for each (C:/USWOW, C:/EUWOW)
    As far as downloading the patch goes... to be honest it'll probably be faster to let it get on with its thing (Assuming you don't have a download/bandwidth cap)

why dont you just make a extra copy of wow folder on disk and name it EU or US whatever.. and just run them seperate.. and my wow atleast tends to download crap for no reason while flying in game it seems... its just "normal"

Because last time I played my US account was during vanilla, and I could have just switched between the EU and US versions as easy as pie, just changing the realmlist file and voilla... apparently, they have made alot of changes which I did now know of.. like you guys have already said
    I didn't download 2 seperate clients, I tried running it through my european client, just as I did in vanilla..
    I'm guessing my only option will be to uninstall and reinstall the game again, Since my client is crashing every time I try to start it
    Or perhaps I could roll back, does anyone know how to roll back to a previous version?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Because last time I played my US account was during vanilla, and I could have just switched between the EU and US versions as easy as pie, just changing the realmlist file and voilla... apparently, they have made alot of changes which I did now know of.. like you guys have already said
    I didn't download 2 seperate clients, I tried running it through my european client, just as I did in vanilla..
    I'm guessing my only option will be to uninstall and reinstall the game again, Since my client is crashing every time I try to start it
    Or perhaps I could roll back, does anyone know how to roll back to a previous version?
    Might be possible.... but You'll be better off as you said uninstalling and reinstalling the appropriate client(s)