10+ Year Old Account

Hoaxer admits to faking famous "black triangle" UFO

I'm not exactly shocked by the news or anything, but since I've seen several posters here mention this one in particular in the recurrent UFO threads, I thought it'd definitely be worth sharing.

The mystery of the iconic Petit-Rechain black triangle UFO photo has finally been solved. The photographer, a man named only as Patrick, has admitted making the UFO out of polystyrene in an interview with mainstream Belgian TV channel RTL-TVI.

Patrick said “You can do a lot with a little, we managed to trick everyone with a piece of polystyrene” and he is right. The photograph has kept “experts” busy for years, with many of a ufological persuasion using this as proof of alien visitation.

“We made the model with polystyrene, we painted it and then we started sticking things to it, then we suspended it in the air … then we took the photo”

The prank was originally meant to fool some work colleagues at the small business where Patrick worked as a fitter, but quickly went global soon after leaving the walls of the factory.

Patrick assumed their deception would be discovered, and takes pride in the fact that it never was. He apologised for fooling so many believers, but clearly got a lot of laughs out of the whole thing after admitting he wouldn’t hesitate to do it all over again.
    Full article here.

Just a friendly reminder that it's important to be skeptical.
    Last edited by Sayl; 2011-08-02 at 05:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post

Just a friendly reminder that it's important to be skeptical.
    Also would like to point out that this line applies to those die-hard "aliens aren't real" people as well.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

cover up is a cover up.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Also would like to point out that this line applies to those die-hard "aliens aren't real" people as well.
    You hardly ever see those kind of people around anymore. Most people get laughed at and are thought of as ignorant to say that there is no alien life in the universe at all.
    People start to get made fun of and laughed at when they say little green men are flying around and watching us. You're going to be called insane if you say those kinds of things, or even just a generic, "They are watching us!", but they are made fun of rightly so. There's just no evidence to back it up other than some blurry videos / pics along with random stories.
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay
    "..We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity.." - H.P. Lovecraft.
    Awesome Rave Blog ------> http://www.fuckyeahhumans.blogspot.com/ <------ Awesome Rave Blog
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...leigh/advanced

unless you see it yourself, don't believe it. there's nothing wrong with enjoying a good ufo story though, just like a good ghost story.

i like to look at it as, "how can i disprove that?"

also UFO, unidentified flying object, key word there is unidentified. doesn't mean alien, just that we (the observers) do not know what it is and if there is someone that does, they haven't shared for whatever reasons. and we know what they say about assuming
    This pretty much sums up how i feel about this thread

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    /shrug
    The "hard evidence" has quite often had its whole thing blown apart. The fact is, it isn't reliable, this evidence.
    I'm not saying they don't or cant exist, just that the evidence used for them is a load of tripe as a rule of thumb.

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Can't say I knew of this guy beforehand.

while there is no hard evidence to prove either side. logic tells us not only is there life on other planets(and probably moons), but that they are for sure not here.

if they were here in either peace or for malicious purposes, we would know about it. if they came in peace that means they are not only technologically superior but also morally superior, and wouldn't allow a cover up. if they were here for malicious reasons they would have no reason to hide as we wouldn't have much defense against them.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

Deleted
    The strange thing about this for me is that in 1990 I saw something exactly like that photo in the sky in Belgium. In those days I had no internet and so in 1996, at my first real job (with first internet access for me), I decided to altavista search what I had seen all those years ago, typed in 1990, Belgium, the area I lived in and UFO and that photo came up and I just about jumped out of my seat with goosebumps. I don't believe in aliens, ghosts etc but I saw something in the sky that night that really made me think about it all and this was reaffirmed upon seeing that others had also seen the same shape in the sky. It was not polystyrene, you could see that it was a very large shape (of huge weight) and fantastically well lit, glowing. So I remain skeptical about the skepticism. This Patrick guy? Not convinced.

Ok so I sound like one of those *loons* now. Never thought that would happen!

He doesnt make me doubt those belgium ufos whatsoever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    He doesnt make me doubt those belgium ufos whatsoever.
    Even if you remove his deception from the equation entirely, we're left with an all-too-common series of misperceptions and misidentifications.

This article covers everything.