10+ Year Old Account

Which SSD to buy?

Soon I'll be building a new computer and I've got most of the parts selected already but I can't decide which SSD to buy. (or even narrow it down) because I don't really know much about them. Reading other threads people were saying OCZ has a bad rep so I'm guessing don't buy an OCZ one?

Budget for the SSD probably be about $200-250

buy a OCZ vertex 3 120GB,, and what bad rep?

if ya dont want a OCZ get a intel then.. just make sure you get a "sandforce" one

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know, like I said I don't really know much about them, but it was mentioned in this thread

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...SD-or-more-RAM

Within the first few posts I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by kokek View Post
    buy a OCZ vertex 3 120GB,, and what bad rep?

if ya dont want a OCZ get a intel then.. just make sure you get a "sandforce" one
    OCZ has about double failure rate compared to all other manufacturers. Basically they have outsourced quality control to customers completely, and just quietly replace all discs that ship broken through RMA channels. None of Intel discs come with Sandforce controller, they have their own.

Crucial C300 and M4 are only SSDs currently with no quality issues and can top SATA2 speeds. Intel 510 (but not 310) is another alternative although more expensive and bit slower. Corsair Force series work also (but not Force 3, those also have some issues), as well as G.Skill Phoenix Pro, and any non-OCZ SSD with Sandforce 1200 controller.

If you're feeling adventurous and want to roll the dice with quality issues and want the disc cheaper, OCZ Agility3 has the best price/performance ratio atm. Vertex3 is more expensive with no performance gains and has higher failure rate.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2011-08-02 at 07:36 AM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    I don't know, like I said I don't really know much about them, but it was mentioned in this thread

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...SD-or-more-RAM

Within the first few posts I believe.
    I know I'm in the same boat so to speak, but so far as I can tell it's best to go with one who's manufacturer doesn't "ask too many questions" about replacing the drive under warranty. So that requires a good customer service, something OCZ isn't renowned for.... Plus if memory serves I seem to remember OCZ drives experiencing problems from day 1, yet OCZ as a company were not willing to admit it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Crucial C300 and M4 are only SSDs currently with no quality issues and can top SATA2 speeds. Intel 510 (but not 310) is another alternative although more expensive and bit slower. Corsair Force series work also (but not Force 3, those also have some issues), as well as G.Skill Phoenix Pro, and any non-OCZ SSD with Sandforce 1200 controller.
    Whadd'ya think of the new Force GT? Since they're just kinda v2 of the Force 3
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    Whadd'ya think of the new Force GT? Since they're just kinda v2 of the Force 3
    The Force GT, Force 3, Agility 3 and Vertex 3 all use the Sandforce 2281 contoller. The problems with the last 3 were controller related, so until they fix the issues I would stay away. The speeds however, are quite promising and basically equivalent to the Vertex 3.

Good post on the controller issues here. It seems to be a problem with the SATAIII interface.
    http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2173899
    Last edited by Skelly; 2011-08-02 at 04:02 PM.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

I don't see the point in specifically wanting a s-ATA 6.0Gbps SSD.
    Getting something with good random read/writes seems like a better idea than getting something with high seq.s.. If they coincide, all the better.
    I'd get Force-series or any intel-drive, tbh. Crucial are good.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2011-08-02 at 04:28 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    My personal rules for a SSD:

- At least 200 MB/s read and write performance "on paper". It doesn't really matter if they achieve 150 MB/s in reality or 250 MB/s. The continuous speed is not the main advantage of a SSD and most of the time is not needed. But anything that already says something less than 150 MB/s on paper is probably not really worth it.
    - In continuation of previous point, it doesn't really matter if you pick one with SATA-II or SATA-III. Yes, SATA-III can achieve higher read/write speeds, and some SSDs can benefit from that (meaning, they exceed the limit of SATA-II) but again, these speeds are not what makes an SSD so much better than a HDD.
    - Stay away from series that have higher failure rates. If i recall correctly, that would be e.g. Corsair Force 2 120GB and OCZ Vertex 3 (not sure if only one model or all of them). I also think i heard of some problems with a particular Crucial model.
    - Pick a model that has been proven to be reliable. Do not pick the newest, just because it promises a bit higher speeds.
    - Don't be cheap and buy a too small SSD. A 60GB drive is pretty much full with Windows 7 and 1-2 games. The 120GB range seems to be the best point, giving enough space for the needed things without being too expensive.

P.S.
    If anyone wants to know: I have an OCZ Vertex 2E 120GB from the earlier production line (November 2010, before they changed the flash memory)
    The size is pretty good for me. Windows + WoW + Programs occupy about 60-70GB (don't play any other games atm), leaving some space for my temporary download directory. Most of the time i have between 20-40GB free space.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet