Crossfire issues.

Hello, my brother is having some problems with his PC that I just can't get my head around. The problem is that when he's running with both his 6950's in crossfire he has a small FPS drop in all games. And if I take out one of the cards ( doesn't matter which ) he gets up to the normal FPS again. I've tried everything i could think of to fix it and I am stuck. Wiped the HDDs and reinstalled windows with all the updated drivers for every component, enabled and disabled VSync, and still the same issues. The two main games that he plays are WoW and Black Ops, and the problem occurs in both and is easily noticable. Can anyone please try to point me in the direction of what is causing this problem? His PC setup is listed below.

Hardware:

GPU : 2x - XFX Radeon HD 6950 1GB GDDR5
    Motherboard : 1x - ASUS Corsair IV Formula, Socket-AM3
    CPU : 1x - AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition
    PSU : 1x - Corsair HX 750W PSU
    RAM : 4x - Kingston ValueR. DDR3 1333Mhz 4gb, CL9

Driver details:

ATI Cross-Fire Driver v.11.6
    Windows 7 64-bit Catalyst v.11.7
    Last edited by Afo; 2011-08-02 at 11:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any chance you're running in windowed mode? Crossfire will only work in fullscreen.

Stupid question (but gotta make sure), do you have the Xfire bridge installed?
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

He's running both games in fullscreen, and ofcourse the bridge is installed =))

could it be a problem with the bridge itself perhaps? Or maybe one of the cards is having issues since you said it works fine with just one card.

I think i've found the reason, but I haven't been able to try it out yet because I'm at work. But the thing is that from what I can tell from various forums, the new 11.7 Catalyst Control Center drivers are messing up Crossfire for ALOT of people. So just a headsup guys if you are considering upgrading you drivers.

I will get to test my theory out in a few hours and I will post the results here afterwards.

Deleted

new driver problem

Quote Originally Posted by Afo View Post
    I think i've found the reason, but I haven't been able to try it out yet because I'm at work. But the thing is that from what I can tell from various forums, the new 11.7 Catalyst Control Center drivers are messing up Crossfire for ALOT of people. So just a headsup guys if you are considering upgrading you drivers.

I will get to test my theory out in a few hours and I will post the results here afterwards.
    This is your best option and this fix my problem hope this help for you"" credit for the guide goes to BradleyW at overclock dot net "

Do not attempt the following method if you use AMD CPU/Motherboard otherwise you could remove important files such as chipset driver software ect that is needed to run the AMD based motherboard/CPU.

Method based on a Intel Motherboard/CPU with AMD GPU/s Only!

Firstly, start the computer as normal and make your way to add/remove programs.

Uninstall ALL ATI/AMD software via the ATI uninstaller. Choose the "Express uninstall option.

Reboot.

Go to folder options and show hidden files and folders. Click Apply.

Once all of the remaining ATI entries have been removed from the Programs Un-install list and the computer has been rebooted, the remaining registry entries, Program Files, Program Data, and AppData entries and will need to be removed. So this is how to delete them.

To start check C: Program files (this may differ if you have labeled your main hard drive a different letter)

Windows 64 bit users will need to also check c: Program Files x86
    Look for any ATI folders or ATI Technologies and delete them.

Go to C: ProgramData and remove any ATI folders (Normaly hidden)

Go to users. We need to check all users. even if you just have 1 user, the system makes a "admin" user that you may not know about.

Once in users, go into your user folder name, then appdata. Now you need to check both Local and Roaming folders to remove ATI files. Repeat the process for the other folder called Default and any other user profiles you may have made on the system.

Now the last bit. Go onto "regedit".

Click HKEY LOCAL MACHINE and extend the folder.

Click SOFTWARE and extent the folder.

Click the folders one at a time that begin with "ATI" or "AMD" and hit the DEL key to delete them.

Reboot.

Install your new ATI/AMD drivers.

far more effective and safer then a driver cleaner. driver cleaners can cause issues with registry and software driver communication and INF file corruption other an amount of use.

Hope this helps.

Deleted
    sorry double posted this
    Last edited by mmoc3aa593c8b8; 2011-08-02 at 03:36 PM.