Laptop/tv screen

So i recently got a new laptop because my old ones screen was kind of falling off the hinges. By that i mean, the screen still works, the computer still runs fine but i can literally pull the screen off from the laptop. So i was wondering, would it be possible for me to just remove the entire screen and then hook my laptop up to say a tv via a hdmi cable and use that as my monitor?

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes. Just switch the video mode to output only (in Windows 7 you can cycle through the different multimonitor modes with Win+P).
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud View Post
    Yes. Just switch the video mode to output only (in Windows 7 you can cycle through the different multimonitor modes with Win+P).
    So would all i have to do is essentially take off the screen cut the wires from the monitor and hook up the hdmi cable and thats that?

15+ Year Old Account
    Phew, I wouldn't go as far as cutting the wires. Depends on the laptop brand, and I've never done it, but I assume there are some brands of laptops that won't start if the display wires are shorted out. Instead of cutting the wires I'd check to see where they connect to the motherboard and unplug the internal monitor there.

But can't you just let it hang there, and use external mouse+keyboard for controlling it?
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud View Post
    Phew, I wouldn't go as far as cutting the wires. Depends on the laptop brand, and I've never done it, but I assume there are some brands of laptops that won't start if the display wires are shorted out. Instead of cutting the wires I'd check to see where they connect to the motherboard and unplug the internal monitor there.

But can't you just let it hang there, and use external mouse+keyboard for controlling it?
    I can let it hang there it just is more or less cumbersome, if i could close it and still use the laptop then that'd be fine, but the monitor won't situp by itself

15+ Year Old Account
    The laptop not going into hibernate/sleep mode when closing the monitor should be adjustable in whatever configuration software you use for your laptops hardware features (failing that, Windows 7 usually provides backup options for it).