Deleted

PC and Laptop dual screen

Ok so i have seen a few pics videos with people having there wow and actionbars on the main pc leaving the whole screen clear , and all the chat map addons etc. on another screen or laptop.

could anyone explain how to do this? im not a pc expert so dumb it down a little :P

Thanks for any info in advance!

You can't, the only way to do something like that is if you have something like ATI Eyefinity or nVidia Surround. It makes all your monitors look like one, then you use a viewport addon to move the visible area to one screen.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Deleted
    Thought it would be a bit more complex, i have ATI Radeon ill have look see what settings it has for dual screens and check out viewport, thanks

Deleted
    I'd like to see the images/videos so I can actually determine what they've done :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adimaya View Post
    I'd like to see the images/videos so I can actually determine what they've done :P
    http://www.gametab.com/news/775539/

It's very likely he has a third monitor on the right. Also your screens need to be the same to use eyefinity. Not all games work the same as WoW and running them on a two screen eyefinity setup splits it all down the middle.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    You can't, the only way to do something like that is if you have something like ATI Eyefinity or nVidia Surround. It makes all your monitors look like one, then you use a viewport addon to move the visible area to one screen.
    ispano; The amount of fail in this thread is amazing. Seriously before you post please think or at least use google

Tittattotem; google dual heading, the first item should be from the joystiq website, the mod is called ct_ something. Don't need eyefinity or anything else besides a 2nd monitor. I can't post links otherwise I would have given you the direct one. Maybe someone could help out with that.

Mod Warning: Watch the language.
    Last edited by mmoc0fc091fcb6; 2011-08-02 at 09:41 PM.

The problem with that is the non standard resolutions. Just using two monitors doesn't give you access to resolutions like that.

---------- Post added 2011-08-02 at 09:41 PM ----------

Aha here we go. http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=23929

The person in the linked thread previously was using Windows XP. If you're using XP then you may be able to get it to work, but no system I ever used with multiple monitors on XP gave special custom resolutions within the Game.

---------- Post added 2011-08-02 at 09:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by booradlly View Post
    ispano; The amount of fail in this thread is amazing. Seriously before you post please think or at least use google
    Yeah... because the simple act of having a second screen does NOT give you custom resolutions. At one point with XP, and possibly even certain drivers it would, but that's not normal.

It's very likely he has a third monitor on the right. Also your screens need to be the same to use eyefinity. Not all games work the same as WoW and running them on a two screen eyefinity setup splits it all down the middle.
    Not only are you wrong because he's just trying to get his bags and chat windows; NOT his actual rendered area. But you are also wrong about getting wow rendered on two different screens. Although more techinical then the free easily dowloaded link above, you just need to write your own generic windows display driver. Its rather advanced but if you know what you are doing its only like 20 lines of syntax.

*Just to be clear, the OP does not want to render wow on two different screens. If he did however, he still wouldn't need eyefinity.

I know what he wants to do. The problem is, that in order to do it, the game needs to make itself span over, for that to happen it needs a custom resolution that makes it push past the first monitor onto the second. That custom resolution is actually what Eyefinity and Surround do. By default, throwing on a second monitor, will not give you that resolution, which prevents you from spanning the client over both monitors in the first place. If you cannot do that, you cannot do what he wants at all.

---------- Post added 2011-08-02 at 09:52 PM ----------

The mode that the original link uses is called span mode. That mode doesn't exist in drivers for Vista/7. But the concept is exactly the same concept as Eyefinity and nVidia Surround. The Monitors become one large desktop.

I know what he wants to do. The problem is, that in order to do it, the game needs to make itself span over, for that to happen it needs a custom resolution that makes it push past the first monitor onto the second. That custom resolution is actually what Eyefinity and Surround do. By default, throwing on a second monitor, will not give you that resolution, which prevents you from spanning the client over both monitors in the first place. If you cannot do that, you cannot do what he wants at all.

---------- Post added 2011-08-02 at 09:52 PM ----------

The mode that the original link uses is called span mode. That mode doesn't exist in drivers for Vista/7. But the concept is exactly the same concept as Eyefinity and nVidia Surround. The Monitors become one large desktop.
    no and no again, the concept is COMPLETELY different. Seriously, I don't know how to make this any clearer.
    * This guide above does not change the resolution of the screens or wow.
    * Eyefinity DOES change the resolutions of the screens AND wow.
    * Eyefinity has rendered terrain, and rendered characters, and other rendered stuff on BOTH monitors.
    * This guide has rendered terrain, on ONE monitor.

And again, if he actually wanted wow rendered on both monitors all he would have to do is write up a quick display driver, and he still wouldn't need eyefinity.

Did you miss in that article where they set the resolution of the game to something custom? That spans over both monitors? And then they use a viewport addon to change the viewable area to fit onto only one screen? Did you miss all that? All eyefinity does is make the monitors look like one giant monitor to apps and such. That's the same thing span mode did. But span mode does not exist in Windows Vista/7.

---------- Post added 2011-08-02 at 10:20 PM ----------

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-m...d_desktop_mode
    Last edited by ispano; 2011-08-02 at 10:21 PM.

I take back everything, and tip my hat.

Did you miss in that article where they set the resolution of the game to something custom? That spans over both monitors? And then they use a viewport addon to change the viewable area to fit onto only one screen? Did you miss all that? All eyefinity does is make the monitors look like one giant monitor to apps and such. That's the same thing span mode did. But span mode does not exist in Windows Vista/7.

---------- Post added 2011-08-02 at 10:20 PM ----------

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-m...d_desktop_mode
    Yes, apparently I have been out of the loop for the past couple of years, and windows 7 is missing another huge feature. Apparently there are still ways around it but it barely works. If you are really desperate OP, google "as one horizontal desktop" and see if you can wade through the hundreds of posts begging for this feature back, to find a workaround. I saw one where you set a custom resolution, and use ultramon. no idea how well that will work.