Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Why are elitists hated?

Why are elitists hated? I raid 5 days a week trying to cap heroic rag progression and you get 5,000 people on the warcraft forums and in game saying how much they hate you and wish you would die because you spend to much time on wow. Isn't that our right as elitists? Are we hated because we make more progression than you? Are we hated because our significant others are elitists too? Give me some real data on this please, EVERYBODY plays world of warcraft to make progression whether you're stuck on defense system or you're lvl 1 in no greens or blues trying to level.

It isn't just pve either, pvp gets the same "omg you have no life get out in the sun" comments and what people don't realize is most of the elitists do in fact have an outside life.

I'm not making a complaint thread i'm just curious if some elitists haters could provide some real actual data on this. It is after all a persons right to play world of warcraft as much as they want and not all elitists are assholes. Blizzard needs to take this in consideration instead of listening to the old qqers saying "NERF THIS IT'S FREAKING OP AND I'M FAR TO BUSY IN MY LIFE TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY MY CLASS." Anyone for playing wow with your penis? Because that's what wow is slowly going to become.
    Last edited by Nythion; 2011-08-02 at 09:55 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    true elitst people are hated plain and simple because they know better, people dont like to be told what to do even if it makes them survive not standing in the fire

I can't really put it any other way than that

lol, if you stand in the fire you're not elitist in my book. It's true some people think they're high and mighty and you invite them to your guild and then they can't understand basic boss mechanics or listen to you when pvping. But they're not the elitists i'm talking about xD

10+ Year Old Account
    When most people say elitists, they mean condescending assholes. People who think they are better then you because they've progressed further then you, perform better, ect.

Not all elitists are this way, but sometimes it seems the majority of them are.

elitist is a man wearing a top hat and a monocle dear sir. since you dont seem to do any of this you are in fact not an elitist person.

and here comes the BUT! but you seem to think that you actually ARE an elitist person just because you raid alot, this is in fact false! it just states that you have alot of time/or are very addicted to the game and thus play it more often than the working population.

simply said, elitist is anoter term for arrogant pricks, they dont have to be very good at what they do, or like in your case do it alot, that doesnt have anything to do with it. its simply people who seem to think they know best because of some self-created rules/terms/equations(etc.) and then think they have to smear it in everyones face who doesnt think the same as they do -> arrogant prick.

the end!

Uneducated idiots with biased hate.
    Bleh

When you suck, you don't like people who are good. Also, most of the elitists don't post stating their superiority. The ones that do are usually posers.

Jazzhands: What i'm talking about are people that strive for progression either in pve or pvp. This is the raid section so this was mostly for the idea of pve but this exists in pvp as well. An elitist is a person who plays for a high amount of time in a day and tries to get 2400 in an arena season or heroic cho'gal for an example. And while some people who are good at this game ARE assholes you can't force this opinion on the few "elitists" that are. Elitism can be a good thing or a bad thing. And while I agree about the elitists that are the assholes should be ridiculed because as I stated above, some just can't play their class.

But take my guild blood legion for example, we're on heroic ragnaros and do everything in our power to help the illidan server as a whole. We aren't jerks, and most of the time we're on the world of warcraft forums helping people out. And while one person may let something slip and call people a noob, it is infact just a game and most of the elitists that strive for high progression. Will help people out, just look at the elitist jerks forum and while they have strict rules. There's some really good info in there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elitism

People are jealous, plain and simple. And cognitive dissonance assures that when forced to reconcile between our own skill and our accomplishments, we will always find fault elsewhere.

That being said, if you are indeed elite, then you know this already. Just as you are able to sweep through Firelands, you should also be able to "proide some real actual data" on whatever you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Well, there is a different between elite and elitist.
    Most people don't hate people who raid 7/7 heroic.
    But they do hate people who raid 1/7 heroic and think that therefor their opinion is more important and everyone should do as they say.

Ofcourse there are always some trolls that go "you raid one minute a day more than me, so you have no life!"
    Common sense. Its clearly

You have more rating/progression than me = you have no life

You have worse ratings/progression than me = you are bad

Elitism: 1. The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.

Why they are disliked should be self explanatory. The definition of elitism entails that you believe you are better than those below you (or just better than others in general). Just because you are a hardcore and skilled raider does not make you an "elitist". It just makes you a good player. It becomes elitism when you start bashing other people because their gear/spec/rotation is off or whatever.
    Last edited by Dhurn; 2011-08-02 at 10:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghul View Post
    elitist is a man wearing a top hat and a monocle dear sir. since you dont seem to do any of this you are in fact not an elitist person.

and here comes the BUT! but you seem to think that you actually ARE an elitist person just because you raid alot, this is in fact false! it just states that you have alot of time/or are very addicted to the game and thus play it more often than the working population.

simply said, elitist is anoter term for arrogant pricks, they dont have to be very good at what they do, or like in your case do it alot, that doesnt have anything to do with it. its simply people who seem to think they know best because of some self-created rules/terms/equations(etc.) and then think they have to smear it in everyones face who doesnt think the same as they do -> arrogant prick.

the end!
    i c wat u did thar

but exactly what they said to a point

There is a difference between being elite, which defines a skill or ability that sets you apart, but does not include inter-personal behavior, and elitism which sets boundaries and exclusions unless you are deemed worthy, and is based solely on the persons discretion.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because the general "elitist" is fucking awful at the game and think they are elitist because they got Duelist playing Turtle Cleave or Bane of the Fallen King post 30% buff in ICC.

I agree with 90% of the posts here and glad these forums have open minded people. I call myself an elitist and not a jerk because I am better than some people. But that doesn't mean that they can't be as good as me if they didn't put the effort into it or tried. Honestly full clearing normal firelands is a joke, the only even remotely hard (or considered to be hard) boss is ragnaros. But most people either can't (or don't want) to listen to basic raid mechanics that we've had since day one or don't want to because they don't have the free time.

About elitists having no life, you can play 7 days a week for 5 hours a day work for 8 hours and still have an outside life with your gf/bf/wife/husband or whatever. Or go out with friends that doesn't automatically make them worth ridicule because they "have no life".

People don't hate elitists simply because they are elitists, they hate them because they are assholes.

"Anyone for playing wow with your penis? Because that's what wow is slowly going to become. "

You made my point with that statement. It's pretty much an asshole statement. Assholes like to provide the kind of arguments that just say I'm right, your wrong, and your an idiot/casual/hater for thinking any different than me.

Nobody is going to hate you for being good at a game, or putting in long amount of hours.

What they will hate you for, is telling them they do not have a right to express their opinion. Which then makes them hate you. Since it's easier to attack those who are different than they are, they will latch onto something like "you raid too much and have no life". That way they can hate on you much easier rather than considering that they may just play as much as you do, and just simply be better at this game.

This also works vice versa. It's much easier for an asshole to say he is hated for being an elitist and being good. Rather than saying he is hated for telling someone they are retarded or don't deserve to express their opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    When most people say elitists, they mean condescending assholes. People who think they are better then you because they've progressed further then you, perform better, etc.

Not all elitists are this way, but sometimes it seems the majority of them are.
    /thread

and 10 chars

Because they think that they are better than people at this game and tell them that. If you're good at the game, great. Congratulations, you're good at a game.

Because of their "I am better than you" attitude. Atleast when the one saying things like that is quite horrible.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperionx View Post
    "Anyone for playing wow with your penis? Because that's what wow is slowly going to become. "

You know, Ive tried that with each of my toons(9 85s, all but Shaman) and excluding Arcane mage it never worked very well.