Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    You don't understand what Elitist means. It doesn't mean "elite," nor does it mean "skilled" or "talented."

It means, roughly, "Someone who makes a show of their skill with the intent of insulting or belittling other people." People hate elitists because they are condescending assholes, not because they are good players. (Indeed, in many cases, they aren't good players.)

---------- Post added 2011-08-02 at 10:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Argroth View Post
    This is a joke right?

Q: How could people complain about the arrogant and not appreciate people who waste their time?

A: Logic, human morals and a proper view on value of not wasting time in a game
    Alternatively, you could read the original post and not just the title. Then you'd understand that he is not defending the real "elitists". Instead, he's misunderstanding what the word means.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nythion View Post
    That's a good point there but let me add one thing. How are they better than you? Beacuse they got farther? How do you think they got that far? By dedication? If you're good at the piano and singing for example you're going to have an i'm better than you attitude because you're great at piano. See what i'm getting at? They don't say i'm better than you to be assholes (some do I agree).

Some of the "elite" do in fact try to help people and sometimes they say "you're a noob" because sometimes you are. People give up teaching after a while when their student isn't showing any progress.
    Generally speaking, most people who are indeed better than others at a specific thing don't gloat or brag about it because they don't have to. They'll help people if they get asked, but it's the attitude that's important. I couldn't give a rat's ass how good you are if you're the biggest douche on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoncurry View Post
    When you suck, you don't like people who are good. Also, most of the elitists don't post stating their superiority. The ones that do are usually posers.
    Couldn't be said any better.

OT: To answer your question,

People want our Jellysyckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Iliyra View Post
    And yet here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Argroth View Post
    This is a joke right?

Q: How could people complain about the arrogant and not appreciate people who waste their time?

A: Logic, human morals and a proper view on value of not wasting time in a game
    1. Doing the best you can in something you enjoy is bad?

2. How the hell do you involve human morals and proper values?

3. Quit being so arrogant and assuming everyone has (and needs to have) the same priorities as you.

4. There are over 6 billion people in the world, and just as as many viewpoints.

IMHO 2 things, some people are jealous. And another reason, is because alot of elitists are like America, they just don't understand why the rest of the world hates them. They are delusional about thier own importance, delusions of grandeur/egotistical.

i dont mind being educated with things about my class.. if it helps me then gr8.. just drop the snooty arrogant sarcastic attitude when you're "just helping" -.-

Bads hate us because we hate them?

Deleted
    Sorry, I don't care if this is portrayed as elitist but if I'm in a random dungeon and something's slow or failing I'll usually say some level-headed guidance from personal experience and researched FACTS about this game on specs, reforges etc etc.

I don't want my experience to be hindered by somebody else playing like shit. Now you may say they have as much entitlement to play how they want as you do but how can anybody be satisfied by being bad? If there's some fundamental advice that doesn't affect play-style or anything that'll just improve them why would they be angry? It makes no sense at all.

Now I approach people like this in the most sensitive way possible, I have 5 level 85 characters and I've played every single spec on each of them bar Prot Pally as it's boring as shit and tanking it just annoying especially when 2 of the 5 85s are tank specced too, I don't want to tank all day long.

Anyway I myself perform very well in whatever I do, I have an extrememly low fail-margin and I'm usually found in at least the top 3 of DPS if the said encounter is about DPS, if not you'll find me always doing my job properly and usually further than assigned. I'm a nice guy and I like to help people out from what I have learned myself etc as whenever I'm new to something I seek out knowledge from people more experienced than myself at a certain area and learn from it to become the best I can.

Now that may be a little extreme but as I mentioned before about fundamentals that take no more than 15 minutes to looks up so you don't piss people off by doing 5k DPS which is like 1st tier Wrath standard almost. I find it quite arrogant myself, more so than these said 'elitists'.

I don't understand why elitists are hated when these arrogant, backwards, bad players aren't. You may say because they play the game for different reasons, what possible different reason could there be for doing random dungeons? It's PvE, PvE is PvE, you play to kill stuff or obtain more gear, if you want to obtain more gear, why? To be better, if you want to be better why should this advice fall on deaf ears? It's because they're the arrogant fucks that should just stop being so stubborn and listen to people who no better instead of whining and thinking they're 'fine' when they really aren't.

TL;DR Most elitists only have good intentions even if they go about it in the wrong way. Bad players should learn or heed better peoples advice in order to become better instead of being jerks themselves.
    Last edited by mmocf92a55251c; 2011-08-02 at 11:10 PM.

An elitist is not a person that is trying really hard to accomplish something. An elitist is thinking that they're better and they know better than other players in all aspects because they have downed a boss.

The really good players are usually quiet and never make me mad...it's the carried product of those good players who think they are the bomb because they watched their guild down bosses while they wrote "BREZ" in Raid chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Oznob View Post
    IMHO 2 things, some people are jealous. And another reason, is because alot of elitists are like America, they just don't understand why the rest of the world hates them. They are delusional about thier own importance, delusions of grandeur/egotistical.
    Wat is this I don't even

well most of the elitists i have encountered have been grade A douchebags who like to sit on their high horses looking down on people who are not quite as far progressed as them, also most of the elitists i have encountered seemed to think their opinion is automaticly more important because of their progression.

Dont act like you're some kind of wow god and im fine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghul View Post
    elitist is a man wearing a top hat and a monocle dear sir.
    So the basic rule is.... if you're not TotalBiscuit.... you're not elitist

I have been called an elitist a few times before now. Not that it matters to me. It's not that im an elitist, more that i cant comprehend how people can be so bad at something that is so easy, coupled with the fact im an asshole.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uhm isn't an elitist someone who behaves like an elite but is actually a noob?
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asatru View Post
    I see no problems with the bolded statement above. I'm not going to consider someone my equal who has put LESS effort into the game as I have and progressed even less.
    So you're fine with being a condescending asshole?

I'm fine with people thinking they're better then me, in a game such as this there will almost always be someone better then you. I suppose I could have written it out a bit more, but the Elitists I have a problem with are the ones that use their status as a means to degrade other people because they aren't as good as them.

Deleted
    Because people can't handle being wrong.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's Elitists, and there are the Elite.

Elitists: Feel that they are so good, they have the rights to tell everyone else how bad they are, and give criticism where it's not needed wanted/warranted. In short, those with skill (or the illusion of skill), who display poor conduct when dealing with others. I.E. Assholes*.

The Elite: complete endgame material in a short order, usually before content gets major nerfs, but always when the the content itself is relevant.

*For clarification, NOT ALL assholes are elitists, but ALL elitist ARE assholes.