Can someone explain Diablo multiplayer to me?

I'm confused, I bought & played Diablo 2 back when it was released but never understood the multiplayer craze of it all. I played multi a while but quicjly got bored with doing the exact same thing over and over. What is so great about it that people are spending real money on items? If I'm not mistaken, isn't the entire purpose of playing the same levels over and over in that game to get items? What do people that buy these items do, just sit in chat and brag about them?

10+ Year Old Account
    Pro: the more people you have, the easier bosses die. Con: ninja lootin dicks (mostly pallys and druids) who were in melee and could insta-loot boss stuff.

Conversely, i dont see why anyone ever wanted to play single player. If you want to single player, you can make a game with a password, and then when you decide otherwise you can join a different game.

Think about it like warcraft. You raid and raid and raid to get raid gear so you can do that raid better, and then do it again next patch. How often do people just sit around and brag? And in diablo, no item is required to be max level, so there is still more of the game to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    Conversely, i dont see why anyone ever wanted to play single player. If you want to single player, you can make a game with a password, and then when you decide otherwise you can join a different game.

Think about it like warcraft. You raid and raid and raid to get raid gear so you can do that raid better, and then do it again next patch. How often do people just sit around and brag? And in diablo, no item is required to be max level, so there is still more of the game to go.
    Huh? So getting items is the, "more of game to go?" It's not an MMO where you actually need the gear to progress. After you beat all the raids in WoW then you can quit until they add more, Diablo is just killing mobs over and over for loot, right? If getting said items is the game, why would anyone buy them? I played Diablo 2 with my friends and we finished it a few times then stopped, I'm trying to understand why people spend real money in such a completely pointless way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because some pple like to buy expensive things that have absolutly no purpose. Like 10 different houses and countless cars, boats, paintings etc.

Same can apply to video games. Some ppl like to have "the" best thing available, especially if it's rare.

I too never understood the multiplayer craze of Diablo 2. When I play I liked exploring everything, getting all the loot, selling off what I didn't need, etc...First time I made a new character and joined a group online, we finished the first act in a little over an hour. I only had time to make one trip to town the whole time, I didn't get to see if anything dropping was an upgrade, and no one talked. It just wasn't a while lot of fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    The whole meaning of Diablo2 online multiplayer has always been
    to get the best gear available.

And if you just want to have fun you can play Diablo 2 on LAN
    with a couple of friends.

In Diablo3 you can buy everything from $AH with real life money.
    In Diablo3 you don't have LAN.

I really don't see Diablo3 being anything more than a way for
    blizzard to print their own money.

Multiplayer means you get to show off your leet gear in front of other people

Quote Originally Posted by Irisel View Post
    Pro: the more people you have, the easier bosses die. Con: ninja lootin dicks (mostly pallys and druids) who were in melee and could insta-loot boss stuff.
    In a way, yeah the bosses might be easier, but the difficulty hot harder as more people joined the game. So you could still solo everything and it'd be easy depending on your skill and gear.

---------- Post added 2011-08-04 at 02:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Shamaniac View Post
    I'm confused, I bought & played Diablo 2 back when it was released but never understood the multiplayer craze of it all. I played multi a while but quicjly got bored with doing the exact same thing over and over. What is so great about it that people are spending real money on items? If I'm not mistaken, isn't the entire purpose of playing the same levels over and over in that game to get items? What do people that buy these items do, just sit in chat and brag about them?
    The thing about multiplayer is that you can play with friends obviously. The game isn't just about getting gear and running around with it on, you shouldn't have to do the same thing over and over. Diablo 3 will have patches and expansions like WoW where there is always new stuff added.

Plus, in Diablo 2 there were plenty of classes to choose from and it was fun to play them all. You shouldn't just stick to one char, that can get boring. The game is not an MMO, it's not WoW so the style is completely different.
    "It's clear this is another bash Apple thread. Such things are not conducive to a good discussion."

WRONG! Those are the BEST discussions!

Quote Originally Posted by Youarefired View Post
    In a way, yeah the bosses might be easier, but the difficulty hot harder as more people joined the game. So you could still solo everything and it'd be easy depending on your skill and gear.

---------- Post added 2011-08-04 at 02:39 AM ----------

The thing about multiplayer is that you can play with friends obviously. The game isn't just about getting gear and running around with it on, you shouldn't have to do the same thing over and over. Diablo 3 will have patches and expansions like WoW where there is always new stuff added.

Plus, in Diablo 2 there were plenty of classes to choose from and it was fun to play them all. You shouldn't just stick to one char, that can get boring. The game is not an MMO, it's not WoW so the style is completely different.
    But, that is exactly what Diablo 2 was. Doing the exact same 4 levels over and over again. Different classes mean nothing, you pick you class and play the game. My friends and I had our favorite classes and we played the game. Not once did we ever even think about buying gear, I guess we aren't insecure enough like the rest of Blizzard's playerbase? I'm still struggling as to how pathetic a human being has to be to actually buy gear in a Diablo game.

This is what bothers me the most about the Diablo 3 AH. It's like they expect me to be as pathetic as the rest of their playerbase and put real life value on the items in their game. It's like I am one of their lifelless drones that lives completely and wholly for their game loot and that I want to partake in their money-grab scheme.

I think this will be the first time I don't pay for a Blizzard game, but I'm still going to play it.