Deleted

New compter + cpu cooler, high temp?

Hello

I've recently bought computer parts and by my own hands I built the computer and did all the cablage.

Everything is now working properly including the internet but in HWMonitor I see some "high" temps which can't be right.

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/4227/temptd.png

As you can see my processor is up and running at 4.2~ by clicking the OC Genie button on my MSI motherboard, and now you might be thinking "Silly op, he is up and running at 4.2 with stock cooler!" But that is untrue, I'm currently using Noctua NH-C14 and using thermal paste "Corn" version with 4 140mm Chassi fans(not included Noctua fans on the CPU Cooler).

Now my questions.

Is the temp high for a computer started 4hours ago?
    How long does it take before my processor, cpu cooler and thermal paste gets into a normal state?

The reason to my questioning is because I'm about to install some sweet games like Crysis and such, but I don't want to overload my CPU and fry it.

Thanks.

EDIT: Speccs
    Mobo: MSI-P67A-GD55
    CPU: i5 2500k 3.3ghz(clocked to 4.2 OC Genie 2)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14
    Graphics: GTX 570
    Last edited by mmocd82727bb5b; 2011-08-03 at 05:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll re-edit my post some cuz I saw some sillyness in it

For 4.2 in idle that temp is fine.

But no apparent need for it to do be on 4.2 it should clock down to 1600MHz in idle. With lower idle temp as result.

Probably the auto OC's fault. but also make sure you run the power scheme: balanced in windows power options.

Download Intel burn test 2.5 and give it a spin. TJMax on core temperature is 95c. You see it rising towards 80 something could be wrong.
    Last edited by Wries; 2011-08-03 at 05:04 PM.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    40C is not that high. 100C is where the 2500k hits the max temp.

Where is your machine located and what did you do in those four hours?
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Deleted
    Cool, I will run it and check what temp it turns to.

---------- Post added 2011-08-03 at 05:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    40C is not that high. 100C is where the 2500k hits the max temp.

Where is your machine located and what did you do in those four hours?
    The machine is located next to me on a wooden table, it has plenty of room around itself. I have yet only browsed the forums, listened to music, downloaded minor stuff, nothing gamebreaking yet.
    Last edited by mmocd82727bb5b; 2011-08-03 at 05:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by COOLFACE View Post
    The machine is located next to me on a wooden table, it has plenty of room around itself. I have yet only browsed the forums, listened to music, downloaded minor stuff, nothing gamebreaking yet.
    Ok, about the location of the computer, more like, what floor, near any heat/cool sources, room temp? Stuff like that makes a huge difference.
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

10+ Year Old Account
    For that voltage, those temps are about right. As said above 40C is nothing for Sandybridge. You should be able to get 4.4 with that voltage maybe even 4.5GHz.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

Deleted
    Ok, about the location of the computer, more like, what floor, near any heat/cool sources, room temp? Stuff like that makes a huge difference.
    First floor, I have a fan blowing in the room to lower the room temp but it isn't that high.

I could perhaps turn my fan and let it blow at the computer?

I did the Intel Burn test in Standard with 5rounds and at highest it reached 65c which was round 3, the rest of the rounds were around 55-60c

10+ Year Old Account
    First floor, I have a fan blowing in the room to lower the room temp but it isn't that high.

I could perhaps turn my fan and let it blow at the computer?

I did the Intel Burn test in Standard with 5round and at highest it reached 65c.
    For how many passes? Since you're using the ez-oc functions of the board you should be fine, if you end up manually overclocking(which is about as easy) you'll want to run around 25 passes, and probably up the RAM usage.

And your temps should be fine btw, depending on the TIM you used you might see a drop of a few C over the next few days or so.

---------- Post added 2011-08-03 at 11:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by planrawsto View Post
    On a related topic, is it normal for a third party app to report CPU temps of 80c and my BIOS says 40-50c at idle?

Same CPU as OPs, i5.
    BIOS isn't idle, no power saving features enabled. And if you're using speedfan, you look at the core temp listed, not CPU temp.
    Last edited by Sephiracle; 2011-08-03 at 05:14 PM. Reason: after OP's update added more

Deleted
    For how many passes?

And your temps should be fine btw, depending on the TIM you used you might see a drop of a few C over the next few days or so.

---------- Post added 2011-08-03 at 11:12 AM ----------

BIOS isn't idle, no power saving features enabled. And if you're using speedfan, you look at the core temp listed, not CPU temp.
    Not sure what passes is supposed to mean(new to OC :P) but here is a screenshot:
    http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/3069/tempbm.png
    [click]

10+ Year Old Account
    To clarify:

<snip>
    Yes, look at the core temps below that. Those are what you look at.

---------- Post added 2011-08-03 at 11:18 AM ----------

Not sure what passes is supposed to mean(new to OC :P) but here is a screenshot:
    http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/3069/tempbm.png
    [click]
    Times to run >_> And Stress level, Maximum.

10+ Year Old Account
    So that means I'm just fine?
    Should be, whats your overclock, voltages, and your room temp?

Deleted
    Sorry for slightly hijacking - But can someone link me to a good overclocking guide ?
    Going to be using I5 2500k on a Asus P67

I know I can just google it, but I want to make sure I am following a good guide and not a semi okay one (which I won't know if I have nothing to compare it with)

Deleted
    Doing a maximum test right now, my first time passed was for 135sec, obviously waiting for the others.

nothing above 65c yet except "Package" which reached 67c once.
    This is how it was during a pass:
    Core 1:58
    Core 2:60
    Core 3:62
    Core 4: 64
    Package: 67-68c

Another question, is there any software out there enbabling CPU temp while playing a game? Like some sort of interface display? That would be useful to determine whether I should continue on playing or not.
    Last edited by mmocd82727bb5b; 2011-08-03 at 05:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No OC, core voltage according to CPU-Z is .952. Room temp is like 60-70. Always hot in here. :/
    Seems a bit on the warm side, but check with the temps when you're running IBT, or Prime95. Room temp of 60-70 is actually on the cool side, is the thermostat in that room or near it?