Help me compare different computer parts for my new rig.

I know I've already posted about a rig that I would love to get. I got some great help, but I don't feel too good about my decision. If anyone would mind helping me out, I'd like some opinions on these different parts/brands. Like, why is one preferred over the other, will I get more bang for my buck, anything that will help me get a really nice gaming desktop but not cost so much. I'm willing to spend over $1,000 USD and more if needed. I do want to run duel screens eventually but I'm not in a hurry for that.

Processor
    Intel i5-2300 Sandy Bridge 2.8GHz ($184.99)
    Intel i5-2310 Sandy Bridge 2.9GHz ($189.99)
    Intel i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz ($189.99)
    Intel i7-2600 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz ($299.99)

So why are the 2.9GHz and 3.1GHz the same price?
    Why is the i7 3.4GHz over $100 more for only .3-.6 GHz upgrade?

Motherboards
    I'm not really sure which one's will fit so I'm going to list a few high priced ones and a few low priced ones.

GIGABYTE G1.Sniper LGA 1366 Inter X58 ($399.99)
    EVGA 141-GT-E770-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ($319.99)
    EVGA P67 SLI 130-SB-E675-KR LGA 1155 Intel P67 ($199.99)
    GYGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P LGA 1155 Intel Z68 ($189.99)

Why is there a big price difference between the G1 and E770?
    I hope to not have to spend $400 on a motherboard, I heard that the P67 is good, is that true?

Computer Memory
    I don't have any questions about RAM, I'll just get the G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB (2x4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1333 which are like $60 and I believe that the G.Skill brand is really good.

HDD/SSD
    I'm just going to get either 500GB or 1TB HDD and about 120GB SSD.

Video Card
    I want an NVidia card preferably a GTX 580 if possible, but I'm willing to downgrade if it's required for the processor, also if there isn't a big difference between the 570 and 580 or anything lower, and if it would save me a lot more money.

Computer Case
    Not sure what is suitable, I want something with room, and something I can put in extra fans if needed.

Power Supply
    I was thinking about Corsair maybe about 850W not sure thought.

DVD Burner
    Whatever. Maybe a Blue-Ray Burner if there is such a thing, I do love watching movies and the quality is important to me, but I am aware those are like $200 so I might have to pass.

Monitor
    Monitor is what I have most trouble with. First I don't know if it matters which one I get based on the GPU. I basically want something between 23-25 inch. and have HDMI ports and obviously be HD.

Also I need good coolers, I don't want this baby to overheat. Is watercooling a real thing, not sure explain if you can.

I know I've asked a lot, but I'd appreciate the help. Also I want atleast 8 USB 2.0 Ports, idk about 3.0 I don't have any devices that require it but maybe one day I'll get an IPhone, not sure if those use it lol. As you can see I'm not really good with computers so any help will be greatly appreciated.

I'll be gone for a little bit so I won't be able to answer questions, just leave them here I'll definatly reply when I get back.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So why are the 2.9GHz and 3.1GHz the same price?
    The 2.9Ghz just came out, I don't think there's any actual difference apart from that.

Why is the i7 3.4GHz over $100 more for only .3-.6 GHz upgrade?
    The i7 has Hyperthreading, the i5's don't, but the i3's do.

I hope to not have to spend $400 on a motherboard, I heard that the P67 is good, is that true?
    You listed two different sockets of motherboards, you will have to go with a socket 1155 if you want to go with a Sandy Bridge processor(and its recommended that you do). The chipsets we will more than likely recommend will be H67, P67, and Z68. P67 gives you the full overclock-ability but slightly less features than the Z68.

I don't have any questions about RAM, I'll just get the G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB (2x4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1333 which are like $60 and I believe that the G.Skill brand is really good.
    Good choice, but go with some 1600's, not a large jump in price for those and faster than the 1333's

I'm just going to get either 500GB or 1TB HDD and about 120GB SSD.
    I would consider a Z68 board then.

I want an NVidia card preferably a GTX 580 if possible, but I'm willing to downgrade if it's required for the processor, also if there isn't a big difference between the 570 and 580 or anything lower, and if it would save me a lot more money.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2...marks,123.html Decide from there.

Whatever. Maybe a Blue-Ray Burner if there is such a thing, I do love watching movies and the quality is important to me, but I am aware those are like $200 so I might have to pass.
    As nice as they sound, a few people on the forums have it, and never use the burner function of it.

Monitor is what I have most trouble with. First I don't know if it matters which one I get based on the GPU. I basically want something between 23-25 inch. and have HDMI ports and obviously be HD.
    LED Display, <=5ms response time, Full HD monitors. Just go with the best reviews and have the best features and contrast ratios.

Also I need good coolers, I don't want this baby to overheat. Is watercooling a real thing, not sure explain if you can.
    Watercooling is a real thing, there are some all in one closed loop options. Those cool alright, but nowhere near the capability of other setups that you put together yourself. Most people will recommend air cooling options like a Noctua NH-D14 down to a CM Hyper 212+. Depends a bit on how much cooling you'll need, which is more important if you'll overclock, which it sounds like you're not considering it.

Also I want atleast 8 USB 2.0 Ports, idk about 3.0 I don't have any devices that require it but maybe one day I'll get an IPhone, not sure if those use it lol. As you can see I'm not really good with computers so any help will be greatly appreciated.
    You may want to look into a MSI motherboard if you think you'll get an iPhone, I believe they make use of the Supercharger technology in their boards and I'm not 100% other manufacturers do.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

10+ Year Old Account
    CPUs: The i7 is more expensive because it has hyperthreading, a form of architecture, enabling the CPU to make virtual cores (I think it's up to 4 additional virtual cores than what it already has [4]). I would recommend the 2500k (even tho it's not on your list because hyper threading in the i7 is not very useful for gaming (barely any games make use of it) plus the CPUs ending with 'K' are able to be overclocked. For the relative price increase the 2500K will allow you to overclock it up to atleast 4.5 ghz.

Mobo: try and stay away from the X58. They are two generations old and they won't be compatible with the next generation Intel CPUs (Ivy Bridge). The P67 allows for overclocking while the Z68 is the newest generation, is for sure compatible to with the Ivy Bridge generation of CPUs and allows for your onboard graphics to work with your discreet graphics (your graphics card). It also allows for a SSD to be used to automatically by the mobo to store the OS and most used programs on there making them boot quickly.

PSU: Don't cheap out on this one. If you want to save space and reduce clutter buy modular. The 750w Corsair is good.

Case: Corsair HAF 912 is decently sized, has plenty of room and has predrilled holes for watercooling. Tons of fans too. (two included)

Proud Member of Respected and Despised (SWTOR USA PST Empire).
    Dark Days are Coming....

Well overclocking sounds fun, but I'm not sure what it really is. I can see that it increases my GHz but does it give me any other features, is it safe?