Deleted

Multiboxing setup please help

Hello everyone. Im all new to the multiboxing stuff but im planning on making me a big good setup =)
    I wanted to ask if some of u guys can help me with some suggestions for a hardware setup...
    Im looking for 5toon boxing on a single machine and want to use my HUGE 52 inch LCD TV instead of a few monitors
    im going to be verry thankfull to everyone that can offer any suggestions on hardware setup for such a machine

THANK IN ADVANCE!=)

EDIT: I want to spare no expenses so please dont mind the price of the setup suggestions=)
    Last edited by mmoc68785b0b68; 2011-08-04 at 06:12 AM.

While your TV might be huge physically, it's still going to have the same resolution as a current normal sized monitor. What that means is if you try to run a few clients side by side on it, you won't be able to read crap, and the resolution will have to be tiny.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    While your TV might be huge physically, it's still going to have the same resolution as a current normal sized monitor. What that means is if you try to run a few clients side by side on it, you won't be able to read crap, and the resolution will have to be tiny.
    Yeah.... lol I remember doing 2 WoW's in small windows on my 22" years back when I was still fairly dumb about all of this. LOOKED HORRIBLE!!!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    so u suggest adding 4 monitors to my huge tv FOR starters ... OK thats nice =)so ill need something like wot 2-3 graphic cards?

TV's make crappy monitors... you don't want to use your tv for playing games on.
    If you really want 5 running at the same time then get 5 monitors.
    And a pair of AMD 6950's should be able to handle 5 WoW's just fine, since WoW isn't a very graphics intensive game.
    You'll need a hell of a processor though.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

15+ Year Old Account
    It would honestly be more effective to get 2 boxes, one slightly more powerful than the other, and run a switch setup to run them all with 1 keyboard and mouse across all 5 screens.

i5 2500k for both setups, dual 570s or 580s in each, minimum 8gb ram (16 for the one that will be running 3 accounts)

I'd say be ready to invest $3k on essential components plus monitors...

Deleted
    any suggestions on video i really wanted it to be 1 machine btw and was looking at i7 =)) but im having kinda hard time with graphics card choice and mother board ... i saw 1 asus that looked pretty nice and it said it can run 2xi7 so i was thinking about 1 really "FAT"machine with 2xi7 2xgraphic card(but really cant seem to choose a model)

The problem is CPU because running 5 times wow Will stress it like hell so you will see your bottleneck here. I Doubt a i7 can Handle 5xWow at high/Ultra. If you want to try i would go for. i7 2600K To gief you atleast some CPU that isnt used from the HT for other stuff. 2x580 or 3x580(2 Should do but never seen someone do 5xWow on 1 pc). Asus maximus p67/z68 (Does support 3way sli or Quad sli (2x590). You need to OC the CPU to the max you can get so your looking into a NH-D14 or even better a 360 WC (Depends on how the luck is with the CPU some go to 4,9 on air else need a 360+ RAD to get there).Also look at atleast 16gb RAM 1600mhz.

Or a i7 990x but the difference between a i7 2600 vs a i7 990x isnt that much because wow lacks the abilty for use more then 4 cores(or Atleast it scales rly rly rly poor)

For a budget it guess your looking at 1,5-2K For the 2600k build
    For the i7 990x Well i guess 2-3k

(For double CPU i guess wow doesnt support that thats more a folding PC) those are server Motherboard they run 2x Xeon's
    Last edited by Aminozuur; 2011-08-09 at 09:51 AM.
    The black blood of Yogg'saron causes through me! I AM UNSTOPPALBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by nastybeach View Post
    any suggestions on video i really wanted it to be 1 machine btw and was looking at i7 =)) but im having kinda hard time with graphics card choice and mother board ... i saw 1 asus that looked pretty nice and it said it can run 2xi7 so i was thinking about 1 really "FAT"machine with 2xi7 2xgraphic card(but really cant seem to choose a model)
    i7s don't support dual sockets. You'll have to grab two Xeons.

Something like the EVGA SR2 motherboard.

That with 16-24gb of RAM and couple 570s or 580s would be more than enough.

I used to quad-box for a short bit.

Yes, running multiple instances of wow is a workload on the CPU.

What I personally did was have my 'main' wow window to Ultra, while the 'slaves' were set to minimum resolutions / graphic intensity. When I would multi-box, I would do all the work from my 'main' window, and if I had to control a 'slave' individually, then I could do so. Theres really no need to run the 'slaves' at ultra. It may look pretty, but most of the time youll be watching the 'main'.

As far as using your TV as a monitor - back in the older days with CRT TV's and composite or s-video, it looked like garbage. Almost every LCD/Plasma on the market today has a DVI or VGA. If your video card has HDMI, then you can use that as well.

When I was multi-boxing I used my 42" LCD TV using HDMI. Worked very very well.

You can hook up a crap ton of monitors with this card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814195102

Quote Originally Posted by Aminozuur View Post
    The problem is CPU because running 5 times wow Will stress it like hell so you will see your bottleneck here. I Doubt a i7 can Handle 5xWow at high/Ultra. If you want to try i would go for. i7 2600K To gief you atleast some CPU that isnt used from the HT for other stuff. 2x580 or 3x580(2 Should do but never seen someone do 5xWow on 1 pc). Asus maximus p67/z68 (Does support 3way sli or Quad sli (2x590). You need to OC the CPU to the max you can get so your looking into a NH-D14 or even better a 360 WC (Depends on how the luck is with the CPU some go to 4,9 on air else need a 360+ RAD to get there).Also look at atleast 16gb RAM 1600mhz.

Or a i7 990x but the difference between a i7 2600 vs a i7 990x isnt that much because wow lacks the abilty for use more then 4 cores(or Atleast it scales rly rly rly poor)

For a budget it guess your looking at 1,5-2K For the 2600k build
    For the i7 990x Well i guess 2-3k

(For double CPU i guess wow doesnt support that thats more a folding PC) those are server Motherboard they run 2x Xeon's
    A i7 will be plenty. I 5 box with an Athlon II 2.0 and a single HD 6870. Granted, settings are fair on all 5, but even on good, im sitting at 20 fps on main and 10 on slaves. I turn down my settings so it changes screens smoothly.

As for the op, dont use a TV, trust me. You only need 2 monitors, you dont need one for each toon. I would suggest using ISboxer, has char swapping to main screen.

Well with low Grapics and only 20fps (which are imo not playable after your went once to 60fps). But the Resources are not linear they are more like a curve. Also what are those screens running at?
    The black blood of Yogg'saron causes through me! I AM UNSTOPPALBLE!

1680X1050, and 60 fps on main screen and 30 fps on slaves. more than playable.