Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What does it take to be a "first" raider?

What do you think it takes to be someone like paragon, method, blood legion, vodka, any guild of that nature?

Is it the time they dedicate? Is the amount of money they put in they're hardware after training & experiencing wow so much?

Is it solely the experience they have to react to any situation so fast its just embedded in their blood like a reflex?

Is it the hundred keybinds they have bound to they're mouse & keyboard?

Lets hear it world, what do you think it takes to be a part of this guild...what do you think it takes to get a "first" whether its realm, country, or world?

It is all of the above really.

Skill, Dedicated, Commitment & Knowledge. Having an amazing computer, internet connection and any other gadgets can really help, so I assume there is also a financial commitment to.

Deleted
    A bit of skill obviously, you need to be able to dps/heal/tank to the fullest while moving out of fires quickly.

Other than that it's all motivation and willingness. You need to want to spend that much time on it, you need to be able to raid at somewhat absurd times. And you need to spend the time on your character to get the most out of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dedication and skill.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Deleted
    Time, not having a shit pc and being reasonably smart. Everything else is learned by experience, including keybinds, responses to events, etc.

When they had 500+ wipes on rag heroic, its quite obvious what the most important factor is.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Full out dedication is pretty much the key part here

And the obvious of how you play your class and how dedicated you into smashing your face into that current progression boss

Time
    Dedication
    Skill
    Your own sanity in check

Simple as that

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thornar View Post
    ... internet connection..
    Paragon's maintank DC'd during their LK25 hc world first kill.

Just sayin.

1. You need to be able to control your character: good keybinds!
    2. You need to understand your class and every other class (not to the extend of a pvper though)
    3. You need to be able to run the content on "good" settings with particle density on "ultra" (you don't need an amazing computer)
    4. You need to have a reasonable ping (so no wireless internet, and your download/upload speed has nothing to do with ping so don't bother upgrading your internet subscribtion)
    5. You need to be an experienced raider.
    6. You need to be able to focus on the fight and execute the tactics perfectly (a lot of 'normal' players still make mistakes at a boss when they have downed him 10 already)

7. You need time and dedication.
    /Zetsumei

Quote Originally Posted by Roitto View Post
    Paragon's maintank DC'd during their LK25 hc world first kill.

Just sayin.
    Because disconnecting a couple of times means they've not put a load of money into their internet provider right?

I get disconnects at bad times, doesn't mean I am paying 30p a month for the connection...

10+ Year Old Account
    Lots and lots and lots of dedication to it.

Deleted
    the ability to keep going after 499 wipes to get the kil on the 500th go,

I looked up Method. On progress, they expect people to raid from very early morning, to very late night. And be able to drop everything social.

If you can get past that level of dedication, the rest is easy.

Time (Paragon had enough of it to do 500+wipes), PC specs and internet connection mainly. Everything else is basically derived from time. Since they dedicate more time to raiding, they obviously gained better skills, whether it'd be playing their class, reacting to certain mechanics, and all those little tricks to squeeze out every last drop of possible DPS and healing. Obviously having all this time to accumulate all this skill is just helpful for the encounter at hand, but also for all encounters in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    I looked up Method. On progress, they expect people to raid from very early morning, to very late night. And be able to drop everything social.

If you can get past that level of dedication, the rest is easy.
    Again, this reinforces the point that time is indeed the main factor.

10+ Year Old Account
    In my opinion is Time the primary and most wanted asset after that skill and dedication but to be honest if you have time you are pretty much set
    Retired

Deleted
    Dedication and concentration.

Step 0: Know the basics of your class.

A large portion of the player base fail this 'pre'-step already. Hunters knowing how/when to use deterence/disenage, spriests who know how/when to disperse to safe themselves etc. These are the players you don't want to encounter in your raids or in some cases, in your 5 mans.

Step 1: Be a skilled player.

Being aware what will happen next during a fight, respond to that in a way that minimizes the impact of that on your dps/healing/tanking. Anticipate, improvise, and have the reflexes to go with that. The VAST majority of players think this is something you can obtain by practice, watching videos, or whatever, but it really isn't. Either you have this or you don't, and most players don't. This is why you can have 2 dps with the same gear, same spec and being perfectly able to handle handle boss mechanics be 2-3k dps apart on the meters consistently. One of them is just optimizing all those tiny little things better.

Players who get 'stuck' somewhere halfway into this step are usually found in mid-range casual-ish guild. 6/7 normal guilds, basically. People who get close to passing this step will be found in 1/7-4/7 heroic guilds.

Step 2: Time commitment.

By this I don't neccesarily mean 'be able to raid 10 hours / day, 5 days / week'. But in order to maintain you position in a 4/7-6/7 hc guild, you will need to be able to play 3-4 nights / week, and plan your schedule around that.

Step 3: Dedication.

If you passed all the previous steps, all that remains is your dedication. How badly do you want to succeed at this game? Are you willing to put everything else in your life aside to push for that world first kill? Can you keep your focus and willingness to play up after 400 wipes on the same boss?

Most of the players in guilds that are on 6/7 hc aren't any less skilled than the players in guilds like Paragon. They do however draw the line between the gameworld and the real life world a bit sooner and have different priorities, even tho to a casual gamer they may look very much similar.

Deleted
    Paragon have probably wiped more on a single boss during progression, than most of you people have during your entire WoW... lives, for lack of a better word.

Dedication is most likely key.

All of the above and getting payed to play must help too.

It mostly just comes down to time. There are a lot of players out there that are skilled enough to be a part of paragon or something similar, but simply cannot put in that time commitment. Raiding doesnt actually require much skill (beyond playing your class correctly which doesnt take much), it just requires 25 (or 10) people working like a well oiled machine and lining everything up perfectly. You are literally making yourselves into robots that react to certain stimuli the same way everytime to get a positive outcome. Stray from that reaction you are programmed to do and its a wipe. Throw yourself at it enough times and you will win eventually.

Of course, you have to also have people that are not fatigued or burned out easily Your average raider will preform much worse on the 4th hour of raiding then the 1st, where if you were in paragon you have to still be preforming at your peak at the 8th or 9th hour.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    All of the above and getting payed to play must help too.
    Show me a person who makes a living off of playing WoW and I'll agree. To the best of my knowledge nobody in all of WoW PvE is getting anywhere near enough money (if any) to be worth their time.