Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can only speak to the P2P aspects, haven't tried the F2P since I left so take my comments as you will...

The starting zone is great, beyond great. It sucks you right in. After the starting zone, the game's PvE aspect takes a direct nose dive right into the toilet. The quests become stale, unimaginative, and pointless grinds. Fortunately, the PvP makes up for some of this. This is one of the few games where I found PvP to be more fun than PvE.

All in all, I say, "try it because it's free" but make no final decisions until you're well past the starter zone.
    "Work is da poop! NO MORE!" - Disgruntled Dragonmaw Peon

the fact that people can`t walk though you, and thus you can knock people off cliff with a horse is enough to provide endless hours of entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    It's free, how can it not be worth a try?
    Time is money friend.

I've read the novel "Barbarian the Conan" and tried to play this game. It's not perfect but not bad. It's free, so I don't think you'll lose anything if you try it.+

Quote Originally Posted by Whiysper View Post
    Starting zone is fantastic, worth downloading just to play that. combat is... odd. Marmite. You'll love it or hate it. Casters are very dull to play but pretty lights!

Serpent Priest is good, or the demon-caster-melee-death-thing. Assassin sucks, avoid. Barbarian is kinda fun
    I have to completely disagree on Sins sucking, they are a fantastic class, they all are in their own right. Granted, casters are a little bit boring. But I have never seen a game where they aren't boring to a point to play. Play it for free, there are of course limited usage you can get as F2P VS. Premium. You can only have like 2g per toon, with a max of 2 toons. Anything extra you get goes into a bank of sorts if you choose to go premium. Limited instances you can go into too. Such is the nature of F2P games. Grind is not too bad, they reveamed a lot over the years and added stuff so the grind is not too bad. What do you have to lose trying it? You may like it. Also have to agree with melee. You will love it hate it. I personaly love it, makes it feel like your doing something other than button smashing.
    Orks, Space Marines, Rift (<---- Links for pics BTW)

Worth a try imo. Dunno about F2P version though, have not played it yet, might give it a try again some time.

Try it out. It's worth the first 20 levels alone - the starter zone is fantastically done. After that, it gets rather dry, although still fun to mess around in from time to time.

As others have said, try a melee class if you do try the game. The casters are superbly dull compared to the melee, due to the way combat works.

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    It's free, how can it not be worth a try?
    this guy said it all

well I am lvl 70 and i am out of quests. most of times you do all the quests and still have 2-3 lvls to get other quests.

Villas and DMC are terrible.
    Kenny gona die tonight!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gouky View Post
    well I am lvl 70 and i am out of quests. most of times you do all the quests and still have 2-3 lvls to get other quests.

Yeah, Villas are bleh, but they do help fill the gap a little. At 70, hit up Thunder River, Keshetta, or Aztel's Approach, should be quite a few in those 3 areas.
    Orks, Space Marines, Rift (<---- Links for pics BTW)

if you want something to do for a few days try it out. it was a rather interesting game but the grind is very, very long

Quote Originally Posted by Rivehn View Post
    I'm playing Dragon nest right now, give that a try its pretty good.
    ^

In general, its not advisable to play ANY mmo with the expectation of 'leaving WoW to play this new game'.
    Go into it with the expectation to 'play it til you get bored of it'

That being said, when I played Conan for a week or two, I REALLY enjoyed the setting. It felt 'real' in a way that WoW doesnt even attempt to be, because they simply can't. They also handle some very dark and adult themes without the 'zomgbewbies' factor of ... some ... mmos.

I'd also go along with the LotRO recommendation, the storylines in that were fun.

But yeah, generally I go into these F2P mmo's for a free singleplayer rpg fix, and if they're good for a week or two, all the better. if not, no money out of my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Gouky View Post

Keshetta starts at that level. Villas are a drag if you do them a lot, I agree. Have you tried the new solo instances, The Forgotten City and The Breach? They scale to your level like the Villas. They should all take you to level 80 with some variety in there. At level 77 you can head to the commons in Tarantia as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Keshetta starts at that level. Villas are a drag if you do them a lot, I agree. Have you tried the new solo instances, The Forgotten City and The Breach? They scale to your level like the Villas. They should all take you to level 80 with some variety in there. At level 77 you can head to the commons in Tarantia as well.
    I moved to commons at lvl 75 and now I am at 77 and out of quests again. I miss free 100% exp potion.
    Kenny gona die tonight!!!

15+ Year Old Account
    Its a bug fest (and some of those bugs are older than earth). In order to be competitive you need to be on one of top 3 guild and know how to exploit all the buggs that has been in game since the beginning. Be prepared to have multiple threads on forum where developers ask people what they think is wrong with the game and then just ignore the thread.
    I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me.
    We are not monsters! We are not the mindless wretches of a ghoul army! NO! We are a force even more terrifying! We are the chill in a coward's spine! We are the instruments of an unyielding ire! WE ARE THE FORSAKEN!
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long.

Tried it for a week.

Hated it.

Deleted
    The problem I mainly found with AoC, and this is still the same since it wen F2P, is that quest design is extremely boring and repetetive.

It's worse (by far) then WoW pre-cata quests.

You usually end up with 20+ quests, none that you feel you can really do in any specific order, or have anything to do with eachother. Apart from the storyline quests it's all just "go kill this" or "gather that" - without even much of a reason for it.

There might be overarching stories in the different zones, but honestly, I never felt there was.
    It's also confusing where you need to go. Suddenly you stand there with no quests remaining, and no breadcrumbs to a new quest zone. You basicly have to run around until you happen to run into a new quest zone.

Gameplay and combat is hit or miss. I liked it, many do not.

I'd try it if I were you, as others have said, you will most likely enjoy the starting zone atleast, but most likely you will give up soon after. Still, quite a few hours spent having fun for no cost.

15+ Year Old Account
    Its worth a try, im loving it personally, better than that crap blizzard tried to shove down our throat with Cataclysm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleo View Post
    Its a bug fest (and some of those bugs are older than earth). In order to be competitive you need to be on one of top 3 guild and know how to exploit all the buggs that has been in game since the beginning. Be prepared to have multiple threads on forum where developers ask people what they think is wrong with the game and then just ignore the thread.
    are you talking about wow? Because im pretty sure ive seen that in wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by azthal View Post
    The problem I mainly found with AoC, and this is still the same since it wen F2P, is that quest design is extremely boring and repetetive.

It's worse (by far) then WoW pre-cata quests.

You usually end up with 20+ quests, none that you feel you can really do in any specific order, or have anything to do with eachother. Apart from the storyline quests it's all just "go kill this" or "gather that" - without even much of a reason for it.

There might be overarching stories in the different zones, but honestly, I never felt there was.
    It's also confusing where you need to go. Suddenly you stand there with no quests remaining, and no breadcrumbs to a new quest zone. You basicly have to run around until you happen to run into a new quest zone.

Gameplay and combat is hit or miss. I liked it, many do not.

I'd try it if I were you, as others have said, you will most likely enjoy the starting zone atleast, but most likely you will give up soon after. Still, quite a few hours spent having fun for no cost.
    You have to talk to npc, you need to ask them whats wrong and sometime they dont have that exclamation mark that wow player are used to.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nienniora View Post
    Its worth a try, im loving it personally, better than that crap blizzard tried to shove down our throat with Cataclysm.

are you talking about wow? Because im pretty sure ive seen that in wow.

You have to talk to npc, you need to ask them whats wrong and sometime they dont have that exclamation mark that wow player are used to.
    Someone sounds butthurt.

No harm trying it, i enjoyed it for a while but much rather wow