High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Servers? Good Deal?

Hey, I was browsing craigslist and I saw this:

I am selling my HP Proliant DL360 G4p server.

It has 1 2.8GHz/800MHZ(Bus) Processor (Dual Core) 3GB of Memory and a P600 Controller + CD Rom Drive.
    The server does not come with Hard drives. The server requires the 2.5in SAS drives.
    Please let me know if you have any questions.

He is selling it for 80$, If it isnt a scam obviously it would need harddrives and Im not sure what the SAS drive is?

But my question is: What is this used for? and is it a good deal? the only thing I know about servers is holding media in a home and have access to it on any computer or hosting minecraft/terraria/counterstrike or any other game servers and I was wondering if I should even look into it or not cause I got some cash laying around and it would be nice to setup a minecraft server for fun and get a bit of cash from donations eventually and maybe upgrade the server.

Should I invest my time into contacting this guy for more info? or is it a complete scam and not even for game servers like I think it is.

It's from 2006 or 2007, and price is explained almost by the age already. It's about as powerful as the old Intel Core Dualcores from 2007-08, which isnt much by today's standards. SAS discs are serial SCSI, not serial ATA what modern gaming computers use, and cost about double.

Running game servers do not actually need server hardware, the most important requirement is having fast internet connection with static IP.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    It's ok, but 1U rackmounts are kinda loud, since they have to use tiny 40mm fans most of the time.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Yeah you don't want to get this. if this doesn't have HD's then it will cost more to get it operational then it would to just put together a small PC with server software.

Yeah SAS drives are labelled Enterprise. Know what that means?! Jack up the price!
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spasx View Post
    ... I was wondering if I should even look into it or not cause I got some cash laying around and it would be nice to setup a minecraft server for fun and get a bit of cash from donations eventually and maybe upgrade the server.
    Running and server and receiving donations is far from that easy. I've seen too many CS:S servers ranked in the top 50 in the US that were above 75% full almost 24-hours a day fail because they didn't receive enough donations to keep running and the owners invested too much out of pocket.

Unless you have cheap access and knowledge of hardware and server workings, get a storage-heavy desktop if you want a media / file server at home.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right