Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Will this setup work?

I am looking for a new PC to buy and I have made a setup so far but I am not sure if it'll work as intended, I wanna be able to fraps High Quality Fraps Video's of WoW on ultra settings without getting a large FPS drop or lag.

Information:
    CPU: Intel Core i7 @ 3,60 GHz
    GPU: Radeon HD 6950
    RAM: 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Ram @ 1600 MHz
    Power Supply: 1000 watt supply from CoolerMaster
    Motherboard: MSI P67A-G45
    Harddrive: Seagate, 1 TB @ 7200 RPM.
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit.

Thanks for reading and please do tell me if there's any other information you want.

Complete overkill on the PSU. You should be looking at 650w, even if you consider going Crossfire.

But would the setup work well enough? I know the PSU is abit of an overkill but it's from a friend of mine which gave it to me for free, he bought it 3 months ago and now he's bought a laptop instead.

Deleted
    Yeah PSU is definetly overkill, switch it out with a 550w or 850 of you're gonna add another 6950 later on.
    What model is the i7 though? i'd probably go with a 2500k if you hvaent that already.
    RAM are fine, might wanna switch the mobo out with a MSI Z68A-GD65.

Also since you want to be frapsing might wanna go for an extra HDD, recording onto an external HDD makes the capturing more smooth and also doesnt affect your gameplay that much.
    Also consider getting a 60 or 120gb SSD with the money you asve from switching the PSU

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you're buying a cooler master psu, it had better be a silent pro model.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Get an AMD quad 3.4 or so, or get a dual core i5, don't need more than that. Also, I have basically the same setup and I got it for around 1050. Get a 750w PSU though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 4long2wide View Post
    Get an AMD quad 3.4 or so, or get a dual core i5, don't need more than that. Also, I have basically the same setup and I got it for around 1050. Get a 750w PSU though.
    The AMD quad cores are now a terrible idea. Old, Bad speed, bad value.

The only dual-core i5s were from the last generation of chips, which is also a terrible idea to buy.
    Unless you're rendering, an i5 2500k is 100% the best option for you.

You DONT need a 750W power supply, 500W will do you just fine.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Okay so my first question is: what would an SSD do for me? I've never actually had one or known anyone who used it? I know it's faster and such but what is the reason I should get one?

Secondly, as I said, I already have the 1000W power supply from a friend and it is a silent pro, it's named "CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold"

Apart from that the i7 processor is so that I won't need to upgrade my PC in the "nearest" future, and it's on sale the place I am buying it from so I am getting it approx 15-20% cheaper than the Original price, it's named "Intel Core i7 995X"

I have decided to get an extra HDD on

Deleted
    Um, need more information on that processor. Intel does not sell any that run at 3.6ghz by default and I can only spot previous generation processors that turbo up to that frequency.
    (EDIT: Scratch that, its a recently release 995X)

First generation i-series processors are not compatible with P67 (Sandy Bridge) motherboards, and because of their price - while having extremely poor advantages (even disadvantages in many games) over the 2500k and 2600k - makes it very hard to justify.

Keep in mind that the LGA1366 architecture is about a quarter from being replaced by LGA2011. As even Sandy Bridge budget (2500k etc) have proven adept at beating the crap out of intels best previous generation enthusiast processors, the 995X is likely going to be well...

reamed...

before the year is over, when the actual enthusiast and high performance chips enter the market.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-08-04 at 05:01 PM.

sec, gonna find the link, think I gave you the wrong name then.

---------- Post added 2011-08-04 at 04:54 PM ----------

it's 2600k it seems and it appears to only be 3,4 GHz.

EDIT: but will 2600k be compatible with the P67 motherboard?
    Last edited by Thedansker; 2011-08-04 at 04:55 PM.

Yes, it's socket 1155

Apart from that, back to my main question: Will this setup work for frapsing high quality wow vids (I've added another HDD for recording so I've got 2 x 500 GB Seagate 7200 RPM HDD's)

Quote Originally Posted by Thedansker View Post
    sec, gonna find the link, think I gave you the wrong name then.

---------- Post added 2011-08-04 at 04:54 PM ----------

it's 2600k it seems and it appears to only be 3,4 GHz.

EDIT: but will 2600k be compatible with the P67 motherboard?
    Yes it's compatible, and it runs at 3.8 stock actually( once u put load on it it skyrockets)+ noone runs it at that unless they got stock cooler, i got it easily to 5.1 GhZ without exceeding the 1.46V/75°C on linpack limit

Don't be a tard and buy a totally worthless 980x (like my friend who runs it at stock and with a stock cooler /facepalm) / 990x, they get outperformed in games by a i5 2500K/ i7 2600K who are 1/4th the price.

About the Harddrives, yes, it will work.

Will it also work so well that I won't have lag while frapsing or framerate drop?

So what are you telling me? Can I do it with this setup or not? Will it do the job for me?

If not, I'd like to ask someone on this forum who knows what they are doing to make a setup for me, my budget is approximately 1650 USD / 8500 DKK

I'd love if you could use a site such as Komplett.dk to make a list for me, or simply list me the components names and all that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thedansker View Post
    So what are you telling me? Can I do it with this setup or not? Will it do the job for me?

If not, I'd like to ask someone on this forum who knows what they are doing to make a setup for me, my budget is approximately 1650 USD / 8500 DKK

I'd love if you could use a site such as Komplett.dk to make a list for me, or simply list me the components names and all that.
    So i went ahead and made you a little build on a site called proshop.dk
    http://www.proshop.dk/CheckOut/baske...Tbi9YjPY.email

some of the items on there are cheaper than komplett, and also cheaper to deliver since komplett sends their parts from Norway.
    Also i didnt include a case in this build because that would be a personal thing, the HAF 932 is often recommended though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sovena View Post
    So i went ahead and made you a little build on a site called proshop.dk
    http://www.proshop.dk/CheckOut/baske...Tbi9YjPY.email

some of the items on there are cheaper than komplett, and also cheaper to deliver since komplett sends their parts from Norway.
    Also i didnt include a case in this build because that would be a personal thing, the HAF 932 is often recommended though.
    Might want to post a screenshot as we can't see your shoppingcart.

Deleted
    oh right! late nights and me dont work well ._.
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...hot001yec.jpg/

there you go!

looks nice and I am gonna go with the HAF 932 case, my friend has it and it looks really great, I've also considered an Antec 900 Case but I am not sure this would be to my liking though, I guess that's the last thing I gotta figure out anyway, but apart from that I'd like something which were in stock this month, preferably before the 20th, but I guess I can buy those few parts from another place if really needed, and thanks for taking your time to help me, I'm really glad though if I were to upgrade to an i7 2600k would it still be compatible with the motherboard and all of the other stuff? Pardon me since this is the first computer I am building myself, I wanna make sure I've got everything right.

Get an i7 2600k. Get multiple hard drives so you can dedicate one for Fraps, preferably 1TB+. Get a Z68 motherboard, preferably ASUS. I also recommend a Corsair 650D case. You should be good to go with these things.