Page 1 of 26
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Diablo 3 is not Pay2Win.

It really, really isn't. There is a huge difference between D3 and any form of Pay2win game, and here's why.

In a Pay2Win game, you pay for advantages. Item's that are unobtainable to non-payers, things that put you above and beyond what a non-payer can achieve. This can be in the form of really strong equipment, potions, enchants, whatever. By paying 5$, you are given an item that gives you a distinct, unobtainable advantage over Free2Play people.

This is not how D3's real money AH system works. It's not a cash shop, it gets you nothing but gear that anyone else can get without paying a dime. At the end of the day, Person A (Someone who buys gear) will never have an unobtainable advantage over Person B (Someone who plays the game and farms gear). So person A bought 100$ worth of gear that took you hours to farm. Did you enjoy farming that gear? I would hope so, that's what games are for. So, not only did you save 100$, but you had more fun then person A.

In the end, does this person spending 100$ effect your game play? Maybe. Did they pwn you in noncompetitive pvp? They probably would have in lesser gear anyways, because they out-played you. Can you still beat a person that spent 100$ on gear? Yes, because they are no stronger then you, regardless of how they got their gear and how much they spent on it.

Buying gear for real money would have happened in D3, regardless of whether or not Blizzard implemented this. Blizzard just made a smart move, if you can't beat them, join them. The only difference, is now you have the chance to benefit from it.

It seems to me that people just care about being special little unique snowflakes, and dislike the idea of people obtaining gear for less work. In such an non-competitive game, does it really matter?

Little jimmy with divorced parents has free reign of daddys credit card.

Little jimmy buys a 0.00013% drop extremely rare item for $1500.

It is pay to win That said...I'll still be playing it, for fun...I will not be using the store to do anything besides sell to little jimmys with their daddys credit card.

It will give a distinctive advantage to those with money in the real world. I dislike it.

Clarification: I'm not poor at all, but I just think that rewards in-game should be done through effort and determination, not through your parents credit card.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by codsafish View Post

It is pay to win That said...I'll still be playing it, for fun...I will not be using the store to do anything besides sell to little jimmys with their daddys credit card.
    Little jimmy's brother, who also is his greatest competitor, farmed for 5 minutes and got the same drop through sheer luck.

It is not pay to win

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone does know that this was done with Diablo 2, correct? Diablo 2 wasn't labelled "Play2win".

What he won? serious question ..

But how did that item make him win?
    Sure, maybe he did a little more damage, but still isn't doing as much as people that know what they're doing.
    You can't buy skill, and since there's no ranking system in game, there's nothing to be the best at.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jira View Post

It is not pay to win
    It is. 10chars

Deleted

Little jimmy enters arena, little jimmy dies because he doesn't know what to do.
    Little jimmy cries and quits.

More likely than your pay to win idea.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwald View Post
    Everyone does know that this was done with Diablo 2, correct? Diablo 2 wasn't labelled "Play2win".
    I played Diablo 2 for quite a while even after it slowly died out.

Diablo 2 was also full of people who bought their runes online. Farming Jah and Zod runes took for fucking ever. Of course there is people who just needs a Zod rune for their BOTD who will happily pay 100 bucks to a Chinese farmer to complete.

The point where it goes black is when you see people running around in the best obtainable gear and havent played for more than 2 hours, owning everyone in arenas. That's when I will start to be pissed off. For now, it's still a damn great implementation, although it would have made more sense to integrate it in WoW, not Diablo 3.

10+ Year Old Account

There's a difference between Jimmy getting a piece of loot that I can spend some time farming, and Jimmy obtaining Potion of +300 to every stat, which I can only get through paying.

Quote Originally Posted by Thornar View Post
    It will give a distinctive advantage to those with money in the real world. I dislike it.

Clarification: I'm not poor at all, but I just think that rewards in-game should be done through effort and determination, not through your parents credit card.
    I agree that gear should be given through work, however paying for gear would be unavoidable. And the only advantage it gives is you don't have to spend so much time farming, and honestly, that's kind of the point of this game. Essentially, you're paying to not play the game that you payed money for to play. Seems odd, no?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwald View Post
    Well I remember the "Forum Gold" system used to buy items in D2, but atleast it wasn't legal and more "underground". I dislike the AH system because anybody can have anything if they have money, not because they did something. This is not a "Pay2Win" system, but more like a shortcut.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy View Post
    It is. 10chars
    Please elaborate what and how you win.

I don't understand why none of you can get on with your lives, you do it or you don't. It's black and white, there is no gray. You're not forced to do it, so don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elica View Post

Someone told me that air is bad, so I've decided to stop breathing.

It's not Pay2Win ... it's pay to be ahead. Don't tell me if you had over 10k a month income you wouldn't spend 100-200$ to buy some gear, instead you'd farm your eyes out for it ...

Quote Originally Posted by Korao View Post
    Well I remember the "Forum Gold" system used to buy items in D2, but atleast it wasn't legal and more "underground". I dislike the AH system because anybody can have anything if they have money, not because they did something. This is not a "Pay2Win" system, but more like a shortcut.
    still the items have to be found in the first place :> they wont be magically in the ah just like that.

oh and while it may take you 100 hours to farm a specific item, i bet youre going to find alot of other valuable stuff while farming these 100 hours.
    you are free to do whatever you want with that but i would probably sell the stuff in the ah, im just not sure right now if id sell it in the gold or moneyah yet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Industry View Post
    I don't understand why none of you can get on with your lives, you do it or you don't. It's black and white, there is no gray. You're not forced to do it, so don't.
    Sadly a lot of people don't have this thing called self control.

Only explanation I've got for how worked up people are getting.

Quote Originally Posted by Korao View Post
    It was completely legal in every aspect.

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I recall, you can't buy these items on a ladder-character. So it won't be "Little Jimmy buys best gear available and does so damn good in PvP that he gets a statue in Irvine."

It'll be more like "Calzaeth wins a lottery and buys a new ring for his singleplayer Monk"
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firedemon View Post
    It's not Pay2Win ... it's pay to be ahead. Don't tell me if you had over 10k a month income you wouldn't spend 100-200$ to buy some gear, instead you'd farm your eyes out for it ...
    I really, really wouldn't. The entire point of Diablo is to dungeon crawl and get gear. Why the hell would I pay money to avoid a focal point of a game that I payed money for?

That's like buying a book, then paying money to have someone summarize the main points of it to you.

I'm buying Diablo to waste hours upon hours of my free time, I would not waste money to avoid the reason I'm buying it.