Hate leveling Leatherworking/Skinning?

I've been leveling up alot of proffessions lately, JC, BS, Alch, Engineering. I've noticed that out of everything i've leveled that Leatherworking and Engineering seem to be the hardest. Complimented mostly due to the low drop rate of items during skinning in particular, and the convoluted array of mats you need to keep for engineering.

Granted theres a solid leveling guide for Engineering which helps ease that pain. And mining nodes now in abundance helps ease the pain of gathering mats. But little to nothing has been changed in regards to LW/Skinning. So, i thought of a suggestion, but to be honest i don't know where to post it. *If anyone can provide the link below it would be appreciated.*

Leatherworking requires ALOT of leather to level up. Skinning for a few hours even, will usually give you about half of what you need to get to the next type of material. Usually a bit less. Although Bountiful Bag benefit helps, not everyone has access to it. It would just make sense for the chance on skinning to yeild 2-5 pieces rather then 1. You could argue, that people have to search for Herb/mining nodes which balance out the ratio between them. However skinnable mobs are not always readily available, and in the time it takes to kill 5 mobs for 5 pieces of leather, 3 or 4 nodes for mining or herbilism can be found which give a drop of 1 - 4 items. so really it can be potentally 5 skins to every 16 herbs or ore. Making alch or even BS much easier to level then leatherworking. The rewards for leveling LW are adequate, the gear at higher levels to craft is well itemized and even fun to make, however the low levels are painful and time consuming to level. Knothide level in particular, requiring almost 800 some odd pieces to level, to farm that much takes dozens of hours. yes, i tried, im sure we all did. It sucks, and i hope it to be fixed or at least helped along to ease the burden of grinding it out.

My point is, with the ease of leveling most other proffessions that LW/skinning has been left to material intensive and time consuming. If anyone would like to submit there ideas below, please do. But also add a link to where i can suggest my feedback as well. Thanks for reading

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Skinning doesn't really need too much of a change. The other gathering professions were changed to make them more like skinning, I think the issue is more with leatherworking. They could do more to reduce the resource cost on old world gear. I've seen in recent patches they reduce the mats required for certain recipes, but they could probably go a bit further.

That said, I didn't have much trouble leveling my lw back in vanilla. On my server, stacks of leather tend to be the cheapest compared to herbs and ores, so it was fairly cost effective to just buy the leathers. Make sre you're making the right things too. For the most part, you should be able to grind through with just basic leathers and thread, only needing other mats for upgrades (if you're leveling a toon with the profession) and just those small gaps that aren't so easy. Don't be afraid to craft yellow either. Even with a lower success rate, if the mat requirement is low enough, even green recipes could be cheaper for getting a few points. If you're in a guild and have the crafting perk, the skill-up chance is boosted for yellows and greens.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LlionDS View Post
    If anyone would like to submit there ideas below, please do. But also add a link to where i can suggest my feedback as well. Thanks for reading
    Can't help with the rest of the post really, but the only place that blizzard will take into account feedback/suggestions is the official forums,
    Official US Profession Forums - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1011647/
    Official EU Profession Forums - http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/874699/

Hope that helps

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never really had a problem leveling skinning or leatherworking. Skinning goes insanely fast if your questing obviously. There were some gaps at the low levels where you needed cured hides that was a little time consuming, but for the most part I get what I need from questing and dailies.

Now Tailoring... that's another story. It takes so much cloth to level and profits can be ridiculously low on some realms. I guess all crafting professions have this problem to some extent.
    Warcraft Professional: a website with a plethora of information on the popular MMORPG World of Warcraft. Profession Calculator
    The Old Republican: a website about BioWare's MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic. Currently looking for article writers and video contributors.

Leatherworking is definitely one of the harder ones too level even when paired with skinning. I'd agree that the problem is with LW, I was able to lvl skinning approx 3 times faster than LW.

It's just a bit of effort. I dont see why it should be made easier. Just skin,skin,skin and you'll get it in the long run.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I completely agree with you OP. I recently finished maxing both LW and Engineering and they were both material intensive, LW being moreso.

The savage leather gathering was very time consuming. I have skinning on two characters and what they gathered was not enough to move me along at a decent rate. One thing that certainly helped was the introduction of the Molten Front dailies. The Widows Clutch area is a great spot to get leather from all the spiders that people have to kill for the quest. Unfortunately, lots of people know about this and competition is fierce.

The lower leathers are not much better. Characters do not really spend that much time in the 1-80 zones, especially if they are fully heirloomed which leads to a shortage in the AH. I have noticed (not just with borean leather) that their is a shortage of Northrend mats at the moment (at least on my server). In fact, this is a place where I have been making some decent coin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Practically all kinds of leather have their "sweet spots" for farming. From BC and up:

Knothide : The western side of the lake near Garadar. Many clefthooves and talbuks.
    Northrend: Gorillas in Sholazar Basin, or raptors in Zul'Drak. Both places are good. If you go for raptors, kill bats too, since these are more plentiful than the raptors.
    Cata: Crabs in the very first area in Vash'Jir, the plateau between Dragonmaw Prt and Kirthaven.

It's all about searching zones for the good farming spots =)
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

I recently changed professions on my main to double crafting professions in order to optimize my stats and while Alchemy was fast and cheap (took me an afternoon to go 1-525 and 500g, though I did get some help). LW on the other hand took a lot of time and effort running around on my gathering alt. I think I needed at least 300 light leather before going on to the next level of leather. Though I have to say skinning is fine, some of the patterns are to material intensive to craft however.