Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Well then the only thing left to do is measure the distance between my eyes and monitor at home, see you tomorrow.
    Thanks for you effort!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Repus View Post
    Do not worry about response time. 8ms is still very fast en hardly noticable in the heat of the game/movie. with 12ms or higher you might notice shadow movement or blurry stuff, because the pixel light doesn't change to another color fast enough. With the first LCD screens about 10 years ago this was a major issue. These had like 20-25ms and you would see your mouse pointer having a tail when moved quickly.
    Do not worry about 8ms.

for resolution: Yes, the pixels are bigger on a 27" screen. But with 2.073.600 pixels they are still very small and thus 27" will also be very nice to play on. Big but... If you sit to close to a screen, then you'll be watching a tennis game. You would need to move your head/neck in order to cover the whole screen. This will get you tired faster. Healty is when you only need to move your eyes to be able to cover the whole screen. So 27" and a viewing distance of lets say 50cm is killing.

It is very important to choose screen size to the viewing distance at your desk.
    27inch screen + 50cm-70cm distance works just fine for me.. Ofcourse if I watch a movie I move back a slight bit.

With 8-12ms like for instance the Dell Ultra Sharp 27 inch IPS has some people will notice ghosting in fast games like 3d shooters. The problem is that the dell screen has a built in scaler that eats up some response time. Now you can get a similar HP with no scaler with lower latency but then you need a fairly high end GFX card to handle the scaling (wich you should probably have anyway to play new games at 2560x1440)...

I just don´t think the difference in picture warrants the 2.5x price bump to go for IPS over a TN...

TS - The syncmaster is also available in LED with 2ms response

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by keule2 View Post
    Yeah you might be right... but still it's LCD and I'm looking for LED, thanks for an advice tho!
    errr... I thought I explained ealier in this thread that LCD has nothing to do with LED specific. LED is part of a LCD screen as it is the source of light. It is always a LCD screen, wether it be with or without LED or TN or IPS panel.

If it is not LED, then the LCD screen will use a cathode fluorescent lamp. This the older 'original' source of light.

It is always LCD. If it is not LCD, then it is CRT, Plasma or OLED.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...T,_LCD,_Plasma
    Last edited by mmoc4cfe4591b7; 2011-08-05 at 11:41 AM.

Deleted
    errr... I thought I explained ealier in this thread that LCD has nothing to do with LED specific. LED is part of a LCD screen as it is the source of light. It is always a LCD screen, wether it be with or without LED or TN or IPS panel.
    I think he meant LED backlight, or in general terms, a LED screen

I had the same issue earlier this week =) found a lovely monitor that i love, 24", HDMI, 2ms, LED, and the best of all is the price, great if ur on a budget.
    Packard Bell Maestro. run that on pricerunner and im sure you will find a really cheap one. Myself i bought from Pixmania, cant really say that i recommend them since i also ordered a HDMI->HDMImini adapter which i never got, and u need to make sure to uncheck all the extra VIP cards and insurances they add to the cart without asking. But on the other hand the price was great so and im now sitting here with my brand new monitor.

oh also, make sure when u search around for the maestro monitor to check its really 24" and ofc the color u want, cuz i recall the maestro to come in several sizes and the 24" isnt even up on the packard bell site so.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chef View Post
    I had the same issue earlier this week =) found a lovely monitor that i love, 24", HDMI, 2ms, LED, and the best of all is the price, great if ur on a budget.
    Packard Bell Maestro. run that on pricerunner and im sure you will find a really cheap one. Myself i bought from Pixmania, cant really say that i recommend them since i also ordered a HDMI->HDMImini adapter which i never got, and u need to make sure to uncheck all the extra VIP cards and insurances they add to the cart without asking. But on the other hand the price was great so and im now sitting here with my brand new monitor.

oh also, make sure when u search around for the maestro monitor to check its really 24" and ofc the color u want, cuz i recall the maestro to come in several sizes and the 24" isnt even up on the packard bell site so.
    Pixmania are complete crooks. Pray to God you never have problems that will need warranty repair. Hell you are lucky you didn´t get a toaster instead of a monitor.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    I think he meant LED backlight, or in general terms, a LED screen
    Still LCD.

LED side or LED back. Stays a LCD screen. LED side can be a problem with bigger screens as the light might not reach the middle to its fullest. You might notice in that case that the screen is a tiny bit darker in the middle.
    LED back lights the whole LCD panel equal and you will never see differences in light. For screens like 24 or 27" is shouldn't really matter if its side or back.

---------- Post added 2011-08-05 at 11:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    27inch screen + 50cm-70cm distance works just fine for me.. Ofcourse if I watch a movie I move back a slight bit.
    I personaly sit closer to my screen then what is written to be 'healthy' It works ok for me aswell, but I do notice I get tired faster sitting 'too close' then sitting at a healty distance. A balance should be found by each person too deside what works for him/her.

Deleted
    I meant that the monitor Bantokar has isn't with LED backlight, which is what I want. Not really used to all these "LED LCD TN IPS" etc. so bare with me

Deleted
    I meant that the monitor Bantokar has isn't with LED backlight, which is what I want. Not really used to all these "LED LCD TN IPS" etc. so bare with me
    As I said, Samsung Syncmaster is also available with LED backlight. So YES it is with LED backlight

Samsung SyncMaster S27A350H LED

Last edited by mmoc3eb006e951; 2011-08-05 at 12:12 PM.

Deleted
    hehe... Each person has his thing. I work with pc hardware everyday as I sell it, so I need to know about this. You probably know stuff I don't have a clue about

Anyway, for screens below 27" it is not really important to get LED backlight. Sidelight is ok for those sizes. It is more the bigger tv's that are having the problem with sidelight not reaching the middle enough. Got enough on display here, so i can tell...

But if you can get LED backlight for the same prices, then go for that offcoarce! If you can get the better option, then that is always better.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Serissa View Post
    Dell U2410H?
    Got this one and I highly recommend it. Must be one of the top 5 monitor I've ever seen.
    And it's not like you'll replace it for 1-3 years so those extra bucks are totaly worth it!
    I can't make you buy it but if I could I would

One word, Awesome

DELL U2410H if you want a 1920x1200 24" screen.
    DELL U2311H if you want a 1920x1080 23" screen.

Two of the most affordable IPS-screens today, with the latter being even more inexpensive.
    A good screen like this is meant to outlive your current build, even your next one. Assuming it doesn't break or malfunction, obviously.
    Money spent on a quality screen, while not only giving you quality right now, it will be giving you quality for a few years more than the
    cheap alternative would've lasted you and gotten replaced by another low-quality/cheap monitor. Same end-cost, more hassle, lower
    quality - but less up-front cost.

EDIT - Do not, under any circumstance outside of wanting 120Hz, consider TN-panels for any sort of viewing/gaming pleasure.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2011-08-05 at 12:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    syncmaster 24"...i got one a few months ago for 230ish from best buy..i LOVE IT!

The riptide is free..but the GWH? Thats gonna cost you..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    EDIT - Do not, under any circumstance outside of wanting 120Hz, consider TN-panels for any sort of viewing/gaming pleasure.
    Why? Pls explain.

Why? Pls explain.
    TN-panels offer less visual quality than IPS-panels, though TN-panels are usually cheaper. That being said, the Dell U2311H is cheap, but has CCFL backlit.
    The LG IPS236V is also an IPS-panel, but is LED-backlit, so it uses less power. Both are around €180.

Only downside, that I haven't read anything about from the Dell screen, is that the LG IPS236V suffers from backlight bleeding.
    Last edited by Asmekiel; 2011-08-05 at 01:25 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    TN-panels offer less visual quality than IPS-panels, though TN-panels are usually cheaper. That being said, the Dell U2311H is cheap, but has CCFL backlit.
    The LG IPS236V is also an IPS-panel, but is LED-backlit, so it uses less power. Both are around €180.

Only downside, that I haven't read anything about from the Dell screen, is that the LG IPS236V suffers from backlight bleeding.
    Very true, but to say you have to avoid TN panels is going a bit too far for me. TN panels (with LED back/side light) are great for movies/gaming. Cheaper IPS panels can have issues, so check forums about certain models.
    Ppl with less budget can have a great time with TN panels. If the price is right and the screen is reviewed as good, then you can consider an IPS over a TN panel.

Deleted
    Interesting fact(?): monitors with big input lag causes motion sickness?
    Not sure if it was random coincidence or what, but after watching videos on YouTube of quick FPS games I feel dizzy. :O
    Found one person on some random forum saying pretty much the same thing, wonder if it's really true. If it is - heck then it's one more condition to keep in mind buying new monitor

Deleted
    Interesting fact(?): monitors with big input lag causes motion sickness?
    Not sure if it was random coincidence or what, but after watching videos on YouTube of quick FPS games I feel dizzy. :O
    Found one person on some random forum saying pretty much the same thing, wonder if it's really true. If it is - heck then it's one more condition to keep in mind buying new monitor
    I've read simular stories and customers telling me about this. It can also be a person who is more sensative for fast moving images. If you try to keep up with what is happening, but you keep behind the action, you could get dizzy. It could also even by like getting carsick: Your mind tells you the next move is probably gonna be like this and at this moment, but the actual movement could be like 1 sec later or to another direction. If what you are looking at looks realistic enough for the mind, then you could experience simular effects.

Deleted
    Sounds more like a disease than a monitor problem from your lips ^^
    Anyway, good thing I'm not a FPS fan in any way, shape or form.

Deleted
    One possible choice (according to reviews I've read and a monitor I've been considerin to purchase, I'm at the same situation as you at the moment) could be HP ZR24W: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_zr24w.htm

24", 1920x1200 and considerably cheaper than DellU2410H. It's bloody hard for me too to make a choice, the more I read about these monitors the harder it gets to make a choice.