Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    The major problem with the OCZ's is the firmware, not the controller itself.
    If you check the reviews on Newegg.com it's amazing how many of the OCZ SSD drives have failed and been RMA'd. I'm going to get the Crucial M4 myself. Apparently, extremely fast and little to no problems. Either that or the Intel 510. Not the fastest, but most reliable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148442
    Quote Originally Posted by dvstec
    Its because everyone thinks they are a unique snowflake and their departure means something. facebookbabies

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sluddyazin View Post
    If you check the reviews on Newegg.com it's amazing how many of the OCZ SSD drives have failed and been RMA'd. I'm going to get the Crucial M4 myself. Apparently, extremely fast and little to no problems. Either that or the Intel 510. Not the fastest, but most reliable.
    Yup, there's also a lot of reviews of the OCZ's firmware wiping the entire drive then making the modules unreadable/writable. I just helped a friend go through 4 of them with this same issue and all OCZ said was "It's a known issue and is being worked on."
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

If you don't play at 2560x1600 you likely won't see any performance improvement. The 460 should run all those just fine at any other resolution.
    Last edited by medvedev; 2011-08-05 at 05:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    The major problem with the OCZ's is the firmware, not the controller itself. Not to mention Mushkin's customer service is superior to OCZ's and they off Advanced replacement.
    Everything I've read, including Sandforce's own website, point to a controller problem. But I guess it depends who you ask now doesn't it?
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Yup, there's also a lot of reviews of the OCZ's firmware wiping the entire drive then making the modules unreadable/writable. I just helped a friend go through 4 of them with this same issue and all OCZ said was "It's a known issue and is being worked on."
    Which is probably why there are sales on the OCZ SSD drives everywhere now. A discounted doorstop. No thank you.
    Its because everyone thinks they are a unique snowflake and their departure means something. facebookbabies

10+ Year Old Account
    Which is probably why there are sales on the OCZ SSD drives everywhere now. A discounted doorstop. No thank you.
    I never said to buy it :P I'm completely against buying OCZ's Vertex 3's.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

I never said to buy it :P I'm completely against buying OCZ's Vertex 3's.
    Haha, I know. I was agreeing with you

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha, I know. I was agreeing with you
    Oh, whoops my bad

15+ Year Old Account
    Actually the OCZ drives are dominant in the market, and yes while they fail, no SSD is different.

Corsair had a massive bug too where capacity dropped and no matter what you did you couldn't change it even with destructive flashes.

Generally the theoretical specs are not to be trusted, you need to actually see reviews to have the performance.

And the Vertex 3 MAX IOPS is without a doubt king.

This has to do with the type of NAND memory used in builds, if you look a little bit more indepth to it, you'll find out why.

OCZ though has fantastic customer support on SSDs if you actually visit and post on the fora.

I have had personal experience with Patriot, Mushkin, OCZ, Corsair, Samsung and Intel (prolly some more i can't remember) due to being a computer shop manager and builder of custom assembled (not built) rigs, i.e. i build with components and stress em, not actually chop up parts of cases and such.

I will attest to the most reliable being Intel without question, but also noticably slower then other brands, OCZ's Vertex 3 MAX IOPS was without question noticably more responsive then the others, whilst i've had failures (most notably in the Vertex 2 series), things happen when there is a dominant brand on the market (being OCZ) and you'll inevitably see more fails on them.

Although i WILL admit that even though Vertex 1 drives are older generation, i've yet to see even 1 fail, a testament to the Indilinx controller.
    As such i still use them (Vertex 120GB in RAID0 setup), whilst i know they are slower, they still continue to serve their purpose without fail.

If you seriously do not want to consider Vertex 3, then fine, but i DO recommend you to consider it's bigger brother, the MAX IOPS variant, as it's NAND working/construction is different to the standard versions (including other brands), and believe me... the thing RIPS SH*T APART.

You'd be a fool to ignore it really.

if you have a 460 stick with it, there is no way any of your games can be rendered unplayable with that GPU, no, way, ever

if you're goign to lose your GTX 460 for anything else then you'll just be a sucker for marketing. If u really want more performance get a second 460.

I had a 480, bought another one year later. If we're following your thought i would throw away my 480, and buy a 580 for 500 dollar where as i could get another 480 for 300 dollar.

I can assure you my SLI 480's will piss on any other single graphics cards out there. and so will ur 460's, even on 590's/6990's, at like, what? quad the price?

Quote Originally Posted by Littleshashi View Post
    That this thread even exists is a testament to excellent marketing departments.

I've only had a 460 for 9 months. It's a great card, even today. If you have extra money after you upgrade your CPU, go buy some ice cream. Or a lap dance.
    well played sir i agree
    The sun has set on this mortal world fools make peace with your end for the hour of twilight falls!