Deleted

quick question regarding windows 7 install

just built my new pc (specs are in my other thread ) and i used my old hard drive. i was told it wouldn't work with 100% new components, but i plugged it all up and it booted up fine. just had to install all of the new drivers and it's working perfectly without a re-install or anything.

however, i now have 8gb RAM so the 32 bit version is now pointless. i know you can't upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit but was wondering if it would put all the old files and programs in the "Windows Old" folder on the HDD like it does when you upgrade any other way?

cheers and look forward to the answer as backing up everything would take a long time...

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Nope need to do a fresh install and it will remove everything prior.

If you reinstall with 64 bit windows it'll erase all the files.
    You'll have to back them up.
    It doesn't take all that long, I've backed up terabytes of data before and it isn't so bad lol.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Deleted
    zzzzzz, thought as much. guess i will back it all up tomorrow. is it quicker to back up by plugging the other hard drive into the mobo and power supply or by using a usb 3.0 port? guess whichever one is quicker will cause less hassle.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You'll need to do a custom install. The installer will ask if you want to keep your old files, and it will place them in a folder Windows.old
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crazypearce View Post
    zzzzzz, thought as much. guess i will back it all up tomorrow. is it quicker to back up by plugging the other hard drive into the mobo and power supply or by using a usb 3.0 port? guess whichever one is quicker will cause less hassle.
    If you have a USB3 dock for the hard drive you're fine using that otherwise plug into the motherboard.

Windows comes with something called "easy transfer tool" since XP which is meant to copy all own user files from one computer to another. That will move your user accounts and stuff inside my documents & stuff you manually tell it to move, but it cant fix installed programs, you need to do that yourself.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    You do not need to backup your information, if your going from 7 32 bit to 7 64 bit it will require a fresh install of windows 7, however, the installer will ask if you want to save your information from the previous installation into windows.old. You'll still need to reinstall programs but it'll save you from backing up information like saves, personal documents, etc.

Source: My windows.old folder when I did the same a few months ago.
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    You do not need to backup your information
    This is what most people think during this experience and on average this is true you don't need to. BUT during the installation process it is possible to lose your information, this happens during windows reinstall or repair installations. In effect you are installing Windows over top and any proper technician will tell you it is in your best interest to backup your information prior to proceeding with a Windows installation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    This is what most people think during this experience and on average this is true you don't need to. BUT during the installation process it is possible to lose your information, this happens during windows reinstall or repair installations. In effect you are installing Windows over top and any proper technician will tell you it is in your best interest to backup your information prior to proceeding with a Windows installation.
    Thank you for confirming.

Deleted
    thanks guys, i just went ahead and installed 64 bit without backing up anything but did what sephiracle said chose the option to keep old files and folders. once installed i just cut and paste all my old folders to the new programs folder. not proper installs i know, but it doesn't really bother me as long as they all work properly.