10+ Year Old Account

Talking Overc-clocked my gtx 460m

So i downloaded MSI afterburner for shits and giggles. And i over clocked my gpu. So WHAT a massive increase in power. and since i have the laptop cooler the gpu does not get any hotter then 70C(max temp is 110c for this gpu). I highly recommend if you have the right cooling to OC your gpu/cpu. i got a 30+ fps gain in wow at ultra(with shadows maxed) and about a 15 fps gain in rift at completely maxed settings. so wow is sitting at about 150-180fps and rift at about 45 fps.

btw its an asus g73

i7 2630gm @ 2.9ghz
    8gig vengeance ram @ 1333mhz
    1TB 7200 rpm hybrid ssd HDD.
    Nividia geforce gtx 460m @ 800mhz(OC, stock was 675mhz)

god i love OCing XD
    doh my god....

"don't look back, it's a trap, it a fact, it's a booby trap booby trap" - The Dickies

I wouldn't really call that a massive increase in power. Only 15 FPS for a 15.6% overclock doesn't seem like it's that substantial. I've been considering overclocking my laptop as well, but I read an article where a 30% stable overclock only attained an 11% increase with DX11 turned on.

Quote Originally Posted by holyforce View Post
    i got a 30+ fps gain in wow at ultra(with shadows maxed) and about a 15 fps gain in rift at completely maxed settings. so wow is sitting at about 150-180fps and rift at about 45 fps.
    Once more: GPU sets your maximum FPS, CPU sets minimum FPS. You just gained maximum FPS which does big fat nothing with vsync turned on, but minimum FPS is still just as bad in raids with some aoe happening.

That is why for WoW you should just remove the OC, if you play something else too keep it at your own risk but it is 100% sure it will increase the temps of your computer.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

I don't think temperature would be an issue unless he OC'd a lot more than he already is, and from a quick skim of some forums it seems the 460m doesn't get too much of a heat differential. Either way, a gain that small isn't even going to be noticeable to the naked eye. If it weren't for little numbers at the bottom of the screen, I doubt anybody could tell the difference in FPS.