Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Looking for a good Bow

Hey guys, i've been into archery for a long time, but with a crappy starter bow. Just for starters, I don't hunt and would rather have a recurve bow to a compound bow. I know nowadays thats fairly hard to find at your local sporting good store (Dick's for me). It would have to be about 62" or so. I'm looking at some Hoyt bows and maybe some ones I could get at Cabela's (if you don't know what that is I apologize). So my question to you guys is... What do you think would be a good bow for me? Thanks for your help and feel free to ask questions!

Going with a traditional bow will always be more rewarding to you. When I started shooting bows, I went through several compounds with the last being a high country excaliber with every type of gadget you could put on a bow at that time. I finally got tired of it and went with a custom made recurve and was much happier. My favorite two are red wolf recurves. One is 62 lbs at 30" and the other is 73 lb at 30". I don't know if the guy is still in business that made those bows but he was out of Houston. It took me a little bit to catch on to shooting one but with plenty of practice I did and was much more happy to x-ring a Mckenzie target at 50 yards than it every was with a compound. Do a little internet research on custom bow makers and make a few phone calls and I believe you will be much happier with one made for you than a more generic bow bought off the shelf.

Deleted
    I did some English Longbow shooting, it was a home made (not by me, mind you), but if you're really up for a challenge, you could also give that a try. (I should still start on mine, some day... uhg.) You'd get double rewarding points out of each shot!