help with Lord Ryolith 10M Normal

Let me start out by saying that my guild is in no way hardcore raiding, We raid once a week for 5 hours.

Last night was our first real raid into the Fire lands with our new core and we downed beth and shannox
    our core goes as follows

Tanks
    Pally
    Pally

Dps
    Hunter
    Hunter
    Mage
    Dk(frost)
    Feral Kitty

Healers
    Holy Priest
    Disc Priest
    Shaman

We kept dying around 40 stacks of his armor gone, The Leg People would keep on missing the active volcanos, Correct me if I'm Wrong but the active ones are the ones with an opening and spew lava out from the top and as long as they stay open this is a raid wide AoE damage dealer, How Detrimental is it for this to stay up?

because for the most part no one was getting hit by the eruption from the volcanoes being stepped on and all of the adds were being picked up / AoE'd down fast enough so they wouldn't explode

any advice would really mean a lot, thanks for the help in advance.

You only need one tank for Rhyolith. Other than that, you just need to practice turning him more accurately. You need to get the volcanoes down fast.

Deleted
    What kind of dps setup do you have on the legs? This could be the problem for the turning, as say you have a feral druid on one leg and the DK on the other, DoT ticks from the druid could provoke the boss from turning to his full potential, causing you to miss those volcanoes.

Also, you could ask your tanks, as you have two Protection Paladins to use their Divine Guardian, one after the other maybe to help reduce that damage and give your healers the time they need to heal up the group.

Is your raid spreading out like chickens or staying in a tight group?

---------- Post added 2011-08-07 at 04:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Shmexy View Post
    You only need one tank for Rhyolith. Other than that, you just need to practice turning him more accurately. You need to get the volcanoes down fast.
    You need 2, one for the Spark of Rhyolith and one for Fragment of Rhyolith.

1) People with immunities can reset their volcano stacks when >10.

2) To help turn him, tell the DPS that not only the dmg dealt to each left effects it but also your position on the legs. We have our melee stand under his nuts... for normal turns they just smack the inside of the specified legs, for hard turns or "180's", they strafe to the outside of his leg and he'll nearly turn on a dime.

"It may be your $14.99, but it's the raid's $374.75" -- Ralask <Nether>, Senjin.
    Mage Moderator | Forum Guidelines | MMO IRC | Arcane Mage FAQ | TT7 R.I.P.

in my xp, 25man version is little easier due to more ppl on legs.......but we killed him on both so in 10man its all about having one person steering the boss and basicly just going in circles stepping on any volcano there is, active or not. Cuz if you leave a non active and few sec after you pass him it goes active, you need to turn the boss on spot or you just go along with the full circle which then active volcano stacks a lot of dmg. So we just ran over any volcano in the way mostly hitting just right leg and correcting a path hitting little on left one. idk how other do it, but we kinda stick with this tact and works for us.

Deleted
    We downed him with one tank but a plate dps or a feral druid go bear and pick up the adds so healing would be just that much easier
    Legs is crucial tho and its gona take you some time. Try and get him turning back towards ye when the first volcano pops so then the first one and the ones to follow are just that much easier

Quote Originally Posted by Davidcuzz View Post
    really? im only OS tank and my warr takes almost no damage from both at the same time, and rhyo has no tank debuffs.

No, no you do not. We've 1 tanked Rhyolith from the beginning without any tanking issues. Get a tank that can a) hold aggro on multiple mobs and b) some DPS that can kill adds fast enough.

On topic: it's all a matter of your DPS getting the legs right. We wiped many times to the same problem (falling behind on volcanoes, stacks eventually overwhelming us), just keep going at it. If it's any help, we have 3 melee on the legs (this week it was Rogue, Ret pally and Warrior) with one calling out the directions. Try and get used to not over or under steering him - it's easy to turn him too early or too late. Have some ranged DPS ready to switch to legs as well if it's an emergency.

Apart from that, it's all just adjusting to the fight. Don't give up, just put more attempts in and it will eventually click. And yes, use one tank!
    Who knows what secrets hide in the dark?

Ah yes...*I* do...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Damosapien View Post
    really? im only OS tank and my warr takes almost no damage from both at the same time, and rhyo has no tank debuffs.
    It's the easiest way to do it. The Spark gets tanked out of the raid due to the AOE damage and the Fragments just get rounded up and aoe'ed down. If a tank is doing it then its a lot less damage on the dps for healers to conserve mana, and due to them already have problems anyway on healing, I wouldn't suggest a dps do this job!

15+ Year Old Account
    Stomping those volcanoes quickly (probably 2 or less up at a time is ideal) is pretty much mandatory.

Oh yes, and you only really need one tank (for the spark, and I mean this for normal mode, but I notice in 10m heroic mode people use plate DPS to tank them then also). The fragments don't melee that hard and can be easily grabbed by any reasonably durable DPS (note - a DPS is no longer considered "reasonably durable" if they are standing on lava lines, there are way too many volcanoes up, taking damage they shouldn't be, and etc). Actually, this is preferable to me personally, because it really lets you speed things up both during p1 and p2, which can get dicey the longer you let it go on. Plus that DPS can just nuke their brains out on all of the fragments with little to no worry

For my raid, we put myself (rogue) driving/choosing directions with a warrior OR paladin DPS helping me. If we need a SUPER fast turn, we can ask for a few seconds of help from one ranged DPS, but that's only if he's about to touch the edge or we want to flip him around quickly.
    Last edited by Thaendra; 2011-08-07 at 04:01 PM.

I have to agree with Dim, just smash all the volcanos you can while moving him. The new active one has to come from one that is already up, being aware of where these are can help know where the next active will spawn and you can keep the boss in a good position to get there quickly. One of our 10 man groups uses a similar setup on the legs, feral, dk, mage .And it's fairly easy. Just need someone to be the "driver" and call out which leg to be on and communicate where he needs to go. The DPS also have to be halfway intelligent and realize that "straightening" him out is not just everyone on the other leg turning him completely around. So many people seem to just mindlessly smack the leg their told to without having any foresight to where the boss should be going.

As far as the rest of the fight. We usually have the rest of our raid group off to one side stacked up by the lava. Tends to keep us out of range of lava spews, and helps all the adds run to one location so the main tank can gather them easily. When the spark spawns, it's just pulled out of the raid group a few meters and killed there. We usually have 1 healer and the mage about 10-15 yards towards to the center to have range on boss/melee group. Being stacked helps with all the aoe healing required. You can survive 2 active volcanos for a short period of time, but if you get 3 up it's a wipe. There's a bit of RNG to this fight, it is possible to have "bad" spawn points for the volcanos that make your life more difficult, and then there's attempts where they all seem to spawn right in front of him and the encounter is a total joke. Just have to perfect your strat/execution and hope for the best. It's definitely a fight like Alysrazor where once you "get it" and it sinks in how it works, it's really a cake walk.

It's the easiest way to do it. The Spark gets tanked out of the raid due to the AOE damage and the Fragments just get rounded up and aoe'ed down. If a tank is doing it then its a lot less damage on the dps for healers to conserve mana, and due to them already have problems anyway on healing, I wouldn't suggest a dps do this job!
    It's not a DPS doing the job, its a tank doing both. You say this taxes healers mana and this is true, but what will tax their mana more is staying in p1 longer because you sacrificed one DPS for an unneeded 2nd tank.

Deleted
    No you need 1 tank Davidcuzz, im a tank and i solo tank it.

Adds share cooldown, he either spawns a spark or fragments, so they are killed before next spawn or close to be dead before next spawn.

As people have said, one tank, assign specific high aoe dps to the fragments, all other dps need to switch to the spark whenever it is up. The biggest tip i can give is always make sure he has a volcano in front of him. If he isnt facing any, he will chose one behind him which can become a huge problem. Just keep him turning so there is one in front of him.

Stop spreading bad information, this fights only needs 1 tank and heroic mode your only option is 1 tank.

the ideal set up would be 2 healers 7 dps and 1 tank

have your best AoE dps on the fragments full time and split the other 6 dps between the 2 legs. when a spark spawns have all your range dps switch to it and burn it down and go back to dpsing their assigned leg.
    the melee should be steering the boss and since you only have 2 of them that makes it ideal. when the boss needs to go straight both of them dps their assigned leg, when the boss need to go right both of them go right and left both go left

Deleted
    My guild had lots of problems on this boss too, we wiped for 3 hours in total to get the kil.

You have a long way to go from what you explain. You should not only get every active volcano, you should also evade every inactive volcano (you dont want too many craters too spawn)

I would suggest using a BM hunter and a DK on the legs and let Mage burst on a leg when needed. Your feral cat and other hunter should be enough AoE for the small adds (and a feral cat can keep constant aggro over them if your tank cant get them in time) and your hunter (the same as on the small adds) and your mage should be able to get the sparks down quick.

Let the people that steer practice and let the people practice evading the lava streams and this should be an easy kill.

Even our "still learning how to tank" bear managed to solo tank it, I wont say without issues, but solo tanking is DEF the way to go

Another thing that helps the fight immensly, after you break the armor down, when he hits 40%, lust/hero and have ALL DPS FOCUS ONE FOOT, @ like 25% All volcano's and adds despawn, then just keep the dps on him, and have the tank taunt and go crazy with the TPS when he falls down

We did that for the first time this week and it was a joke, he was at like 15% when he actually did his first stomp, and died 2-3 seconds after his second stomp.

thanks for all the help, for clarification we did try to have one pally switch to ret but his dps was abysmal something like 4k so we just had him go and tank

in our 10 we have 1 tank and 2 people steering the legs and rest on adds, legs people need to get errupting ones first!

10+ Year Old Account
    We tried this fight tonight, killed it in 3 attempts, pretty casual guild, never tried it before. Sadly, I accidentally deleted the log so I'll give you an overview of what we did.

Comp

Prot Paladin (moi)

Holy Priest
    Holy Priest
    Holy Paladin (yeah yeah I know, bad comp)

SV Hunter
    Arcane Mage
    Destro Lock
    Frost DK
    Enh Shaman
    Assass Rogue

Strategy

Enhancement shaman on left leg, frost DK on right, rogue dashing in between calling out directions. If a hard turn was needed the shaman/DK moved too. The ranged used their brains to determine which leg to go for. The hunter AOE'd the Fragments of Rhyolith along with a little help from the Destro Lock and Howling Blasts from the Death Knight (I held them practically under the boss for cleaves). They were always dead before a spark spawned. When a spark spawned, the mage hunter and warlock killed it, with me dragging it off to a side. The amount of damage we took was disgusting from the volcanos. The mage died, twice, before phase 2. We went into phase 2 with 9 people, but due to stupidity 2 people stood in the volcano explode during transition so we lost our hunter and almost someone else. We then 8 manned it to death.

Unfortunately I can't give any numbers but that's how easy we found it, we're not amazingly geared either. If you want to check our armories to get a gear comparison, feel free. Here's a list of players who were present, in the same order as the list above.

Merinicus

Cantaya
    Holycc
    Phinx

Gesar
    Hosin
    Razziinc
    Michael (With 2 dots on the E, an umlaut I think it's called - sorry I'm english and ignorant to accents on letters.)
    Liby
    Aeyla
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.