10+ Year Old Account

SoR and our 3-minute Raid CD

Now, this is just a suggestion to get some feedback, but as i was thinking about how useless Spirit of Redemption is in a raiding environment, i thought about how it would be an awesome alternative CD. You can pop SoR and you transform into the badass looking angel and you do....something. Does anyone have any ideas as to what the CD could do? I feel like "Improved Divine Hymn" is boring, and I really regret the fact that we don't get much mileage out of the awesome SoR skin.

Open to feedback, any ideas?

i think that we'd have more luck getting a Divine Hymn buff than this

This has been a suggestion that's been kicked around for some years. I like it, I would like to see it, but I honestly don't believe it will happen. For one SoR would have to be revamped entirely if it were to have an on-demand element [mostly due to PvP].

The obvious "something" that it could do is a raid wide +XX% healing received by all friendlies in XXyards. The Immunity + Immobility thing, however, will have to be reconciled. I think neither are balanced options for an on-demand 3min CD.

This keeps DH as a pan-priest flavor spell, but gives Holy a raid CD.

But, quite frankly, I wish the Developers got off their "3min CD" kick & designing encounters around them. For me, it isn't compelling play for me to go "Oh. Hey. The 5min mark is rolling around. Almost time to cast my 3min CD. Woo." Lets move healing back to meaningful choices. To the feeling of "saving the day," rather than "you didn't screw up."

Deleted
    Prevents all members within the spells' radius from dying for 10 seconds. However, once the duration runs out, the Priest dies as many times as the spell saved someone.

10+ Year Old Account
    What about raid wide +healing and free spells for X seconds? it would be in keeping with SoR and the flavor of Guardian Spirit combined.

Deleted
    you mean like "revelations redesigned: in addition to it's current effect, you can now cast prayer of healing and circle of healing while channeling divine hymn. while channeling hymn, both prayer of healing and circle of healing are instant, cost no mana and have no target limit. in addition, reduces the cooldown of divine hymn by 3 minutes (or however much you need for a 3 minute CD)."

i think this might be a bit much though.

A shudder at the thought of a raid wide % healing buff. In combination with other raid cooldowns it would end up making the content much harsher and more demanding of such combos of abilities to keep everyone alive. Think about it, a burst of AoE that requires Barrier, raid last stand, and something like a super powered Divine Hymn +%healing on everyone just to survive. Ugh...

No thanks.

Holy could use a slightly tweaked Sanctuary. It would be nice if the CD on it was reduced and the area increased slightly. Maybe a cooldown that super powers our holy word? That would be neat.

ex/

State of Mind (revamped):
    2 min CD
    5,000 mana

Empowers your holy word spells
    Holy Word Chastise - stun duration doubled and damage does not break the effect.
    Holy Word Serenity - doubles the heal effect and duration of the crit buff on target
    Holy Word Sanctuary - doubles the radius and duration.

Quote Originally Posted by Themos View Post
    A shudder at the thought of a raid wide % healing buff. In combination with other raid cooldowns it would end up making the content much harsher and more demanding of such combos of abilities to keep everyone alive. Think about it, a burst of AoE that requires Barrier, raid last stand, and something like a super powered Divine Hymn +%healing on everyone just to survive. Ugh...
    There is fundamentally no difference between a spell that buffs healing received by X% and a CD that increases rHPS by X% through direct healing. Now, if you choose to stack these two things together, then you have one less CD to handle the next hit. It's no different than bemoaning SLT or Raid Stand, because NOW we can stack PW:B & Tranq with it. Its just one more CD.

But to that point, it's just one more CD. It continues down the CD arms race and makes healing more & more about "bringing the CD" and less & less about interesting healing decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by [-Spiritus-] View Post
    There is fundamentally no difference between a spell that buffs healing received by X% and a CD that increases rHPS by X% through direct healing. Now, if you choose to stack these two things together, then you have one less CD to handle the next hit. It's no different than bemoaning SLT or Raid Stand, because NOW we can stack PW:B & Tranq with it. Its just one more CD.
    Oh, if holy did get such a cooldown I'd expect boss mechanics that require both. Some would require chaining/sequential use, while others would require all at once... and I'm much more terrified of the latter content possibilities.

But to that point, it's just one more CD. It continues down the CD arms race and makes healing more & more about "bringing the CD" and less & less about interesting healing decisions.
    /100% agreed

The solution is less cooldowns, or shared debuffs like heroism exhaustion. Not more of them.

Deleted
    Lets priest go into angel form, cannot move, cannot be interrupted, and can only channel divine hymn for 8 seconds, but divine hymn hits twice as many targets (6 instead of 3). Doesn't have to be much more powerfull than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Lets priest go into angel form, cannot move, cannot be interrupted, and can only channel divine hymn for 8 seconds, but divine hymn hits twice as many targets (6 instead of 3). Doesn't have to be much more powerfull than that.
    I know there is a want and desire to make the "Holy 3min CD" like SoR as much as possible, but plainly, it is bad design for your "awesome button" to root you, and it is too powerful to be uninteractable and immune to damage. That is why it is linked to your death. Any play on SoR as an active CD will have to remove both of these things.

Quote Originally Posted by [-Spiritus-] View Post
    I know there is a want and desire to make the "Holy 3min CD" like SoR as much as possible, but plainly, it is bad design for your "awesome button" to root you, and it is too powerful to be uninteractable and immune to damage. That is why it is linked to your death. Any play on SoR as an active CD will have to remove both of these things.
    I disagree. This would make the CD something that requires thought instead of something you press every 3mins. Make it 8 seconds and increase all healing done by the raid by 20-25%. also any spell cast while in angel form not in the holy tree will break it. This would make placement key I.E. PW:B but also give you a way out if needed. This would work a lot like Dk's pillar of frost which I also believe is a rooted "awesome button" and possibly give holy some viability in pvp because let face it they don't have much now.

The draw backs of this for balance could be many things.
    You'er not target-able so you receive no healing while you're an angel.
    Maybe a healing debuff like hero/blood so raids can't stack holy priests
    Inability to move.

Ect ect ect....
    Last edited by highlandr; 2011-08-09 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by highlandr View Post
    I disagree. This would make the CD something that requires thought instead of something you press every 3mins.
    I would hope that encounter design would be robust enough so you wouldn't want to drop your CD on CD, rather than making penalties within the spell itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by highlandr View Post
    Make it 8 seconds and increase all healing done by the raid by 20-25%. also any spell cast while in angel form not in the holy tree will break it. This would make placement key I.E. PW:B but also give you a way out if needed. This would work a lot like Dk's pillar of frost which I also believe is a rooted "awesome button" and possibly give holy some viability in pvp because let face it they don't have much now.
    The Glyph of PoF does root the DK, but I think there is a noticeable difference between the two. Mostly, there is little application to glyphing PoF in PvE, because it roots the player [and also due to the lack of predictable "loss of control" spells cast by bosses (assuming the boss ability doesn't overwrite the immunity)].

Holy could use a PvP boost, but balancing virtual immunity with rooting feels too much like a 3min [2.5 glyphed] CD, rooted pally bubble + healing boost & mana free casting. Doesn't that seem like a bit oddly, if not poorly designed ability?