Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Build your own MMO Here:

What would it be? What would be your choices for the next big thing? Have some fun with this but it also would generate some great ideas I am sure.

Fill out the template below:

Theme:

Levelling :

Raiding:

PVP:

Ream politics:

Moved to Video Games

10+ Year Old Account
    meh I'd really just like a futuristic MMO with WoW kind of gameplay.

the whole medieval thing is getting a little bit stale.

Oh, also, boobs. Want some boobs in there. And people that can handle cussing. But most importantly boobs.

sorry I don't have too many specifics.

I'll do one for myself.

Theme: Game of Thrones sort of theme, where classes or factions are playing/deciding/defending for thier candidate to the throne.

Levelling : You do not get levels or experience. You get a talent or ability once you reach certain milestones. You can get a certain amount of ablities. It would take everyone about the same time frame. You can get abilities by doing quests, achieving certain goals that help your faction/race's goal of getiing the throne, dungeons, pvp. Finally near end, you get to pick 2 out of 7 possible "big abilities". Once you have them, you have them. Can respec after that. This obviously needs further tuning/tweaking.

Raiding: Game would start with 4 raiding dungeons. No heroic versions. Easy - Easy/medium - medium - hard. 20 man only. Achievments go toward getting your candidate on the throne as king.

PVP: No resilience. Once you enter Pvp your pvp talents kick in which is totally separated from pve talents/abilities. Achievments go toward getting your candidate on the throne as king.

Ream politics: The goal is to get your candidate on the throne as king (or Queen). Now this could be done in many different ways but the end goal is to have guilds/races/factions whatever mean something. Some real realm politics. It would really need to be tweaked on what/how/why we would all go about it. But we do need an end game goals with politics involved to spice it up.

---------- Post added 2011-08-07 at 06:23 PM ----------

Bah, moved.

Theme: medieval/clockwork-Fantasy

Leveling: 40 levels, Roughly 1 lvl/2 hours every 2 levels you get a new ability and every level you get a talent point

Raiding: 10 man raiding large raids with more than just trash then boss more obstacles to overcome.

PvP: 1 PvP spec 2 PvE specs either 1 DPS and 1 Tank/Heal or 2 DPS for every class. I would make every class somewhat similar but different(not everyone would have a stun) I would try to balance the game around 1v1 and if it was truly impossible I'd at least try for 2v2. Arena would only go up to 3v3. BGs are all large scale, they're made for fun not skill. And I would have a bounty system in which you're given player target and you have to kill them. There would be no guards, player defend their turf.

Realm Politics: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ TERA is the only MMO I've ever seen try to do a political system and quoted from a dev: "You can raise or lower taxes, open new shops, and imprison jerks or people who disagree with you. You can throw events like tournaments to bring tourists and money into your province, and even enable or disable PvP as you see fit." I think that's retarded giving players that much indirect control over another player's experience so I would rather have anarchy. This MMO will live in lawless times.

Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    What would it be? What would be your choices for the next big thing? Have some fun with this but it also would generate some great ideas I am sure.

Fill out the template below:

Theme:

Levelling :

Raiding:

PVP:

Ream politics:
    Theme: MMO RPG themed around Disciples series (that game has so much good lore and factions it could span for a solid 10 years)

Levelling: lvl cap 50, each 10 levels u get your xp bar locked and u cant earn xp any longer till u finish class quest that basicly teaches u how to play effectively your class/spec and how to progress/become better (this is to stop the flood of max lvl players that are dumbasses and douchebags we meet in LFG tool that dont know shit about their class/spec)

Ofc for people who cant finish class quest or they wont they can do other "daily" quests to keep them entertained until they want to improve/become better and EARN their spot in the higher place/community

Raiding: Tiered raiding similar to Classic WoW/TBC where u were progressing tier by tier or should i say one step at a time (for example) Kara > ZA > Magh/Gruul > Kael/Vashj > Black temple/Mount Hyjal > Sunwell Plateu (No more "Herp derp i farm heroics for 2 weeks then join pug raid for ICC and kill Lich King)

PvP: All classes are BALANCED yet they have unique spells/abilities to their class/spec , combat will be designed in such way that u cant "lol trinket+ 'damage booster spell" = dead enemy in 5 seconds" or "lol i stunlock u and u cant fight back" or "lol 3 shotted" , u will need to outsmart and outlast your enemy and there will not be classes/spec that are idiot friendly in such a way u can make alot of mistakes and not being punished for that...

PvP system in term or ranking should be similar to classic WoW's with ranks every week , example :

In your last week u achieved 5k honorable kills and fullfilled 250 PvP objectives + u aided your teammates contributing to 75% win ratio success , u are awarded Title Warlord(pure example)

U are now on number 1 spot with 10k commendatation points

If this week u dont "defend" those 10k points u lose your number 1 spot (for example) if u only achieve 1k hks and fullfill only 100 PvP objectives + aided teammates in 25% win ratio success U LOSE your number 1 spot and the person behind u steps up on the ladder while u fall behind

That system is to spark active competition between players with ongoing progression and to purge/remove --> "i dodge-queue to 2400 rating in 2 days then camp that spot for 3 months"
    Quote Originally Posted by Daralii View Post
    An orc named after Jesus firing a kamehameha at a tentacle dragon and making it explode into fairy dust before a group of dragons don't lament the loss of their once-friend or the now inevitable extinction of their species due to their newfound sterility and mortality but instead congratulate him on knocking up his wife was pretty fucking insane even by this series' standards.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I shared my content, people would just rip off my ideas :O So I'll keep my work for myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Theme: Tiberian sun/firestorm and so on--Scrin invasion timeline (note that this wars are long for 40 years)

Levelling : By killing enemy faction, completing quests , killing off scrin and tiberium life and mutants (not all are bad)

Raiding: Raiding enemy faction bases and destroying them (also instances versions for pve) + lore like destroying scrin gateway buildings

PVP: Classes like: medic, enginer, soldier . Medics are basicly healers, enginers can create building and armored veicles (soldiers can drive them with enginers). Battle is like destroying enemy base or holding key places for XXX min.

Realm politics: Playeable Nod and Gdi only. There are teritories wich each faction can take and claim tiberium mines for themselfs

Oh cose there is more but if you want to read lore from this game here it is: http://cnc.wikia.com/wiki/Tiberium_Universe
    (if you played Renegade you know how pvp looks like)
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Deleted
    Theme: Ancient Greece/Persia. Prepare to fight alot like a Hoplite or stone slinger. Imagine the combat interaction working like in Oblivion, with blocks, thrusts and slashes. You the player get to choose from one of many Greek city states and from there on you are at constant war with any player from a different city state. For simplicity's sake it could simply be Sparta vs Athens as many factions may be unecesary. The game will be very sandboxy.

Levelling: Would use a rank system that depends on how well you do in the battles in the game. If there is no substantial PvP-activity to take part in at the time there are always side quests with AI enemies that will gladly be at the opposite end of your spear.

Raiding: No PvE content besides large Persian invasion events that need to be fought back. During these all world PvP ends being confined to BGs.

PVP: Open world PvP, were you fight for your city state in order to gain control of more territory. Whether it be a small raid on some farmlands or a huge assault on a city, PvP will be the heart of the game. The side(s) that end up losing badly on any individual server will gain substantial AI help to tip the scales back to status quo from time to time. Would a side annihilate the other the server will simply enough restart with all players and their achievments intact. Remember how the border moved on the map in GW: Factions? That is how the ingame map will look like all the time.

Realm politics: See Theme.

A football (american) MMO. There are a few out there, but mostly text based and of low quality.

You start as a kid and "level up" all the way through pee wee league to the NFL. Positions instead of classes. You can craft epic jock-straps and all that good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Eorayn View Post
    If I shared my content, people would just rip off my ideas :O So I'll keep my work for myself.
    Well, if you do not share you ideas, how is an investor supposed to finance your idea?

Quote Originally Posted by A Forum Troll View Post
    Well, if you do not share you ideas, how is an investor supposed to finance your idea?
    Take it somewhere else, that's how... Not really likely to happen on a fansite's off-topic boards.

Ot:

Theme: Steampunk/Future-Fantasy

Levelling: Level cap of 20. It would take about a month of consistent 2-3 hours a day to get there the first time. Afterwards, you could have your higher-levelled characters "mentor" alts, increasing progression rate. There are sub-levels in each level where you're afforded new abilities, parts of the world open up, factions offer you new jobs, or dungeon-equivalents open up. Sublevels start at level 10, then 6 sublevels per level as traditional levelling slows down. The sole method of gaining experience is taking on jobs for various factions that involve basically every single action you could take in the game. Hunting other players, lore-based characters like assassination missions, participating in major conflicts, buying, selling, crafting and trading items. Expacs would only add more quests and factions, or alternate systems, no additional levels. Faction ties would be permanent after designated points within their specific storylines. Every 2 weeks, mini-"episodes" would advance the storyline.

PvE: Not a major focus. There are treasure hunts and dungeons and things like that, but you don't get geared in the sense of WoW. Clothes, weapons, and similar items are equippable, but just for vanity purposes. These are mostly for fun or to fulfill quest requirements. Your progress and position within the world or more important, as are your connections. You won't be sneaking into companies' headquarters without knowing the security guards, the CEO, an explosives expert. These sorts of choices and world effects would define how you play. Combat can be avoided by every 'class', but if you choose to fight, the system is realistic. You don't see numbers pop up. If you beat someone in the head with a steel club, their vision blurs, they stagger backwards. Hit them hard enough and they die and wake up in a hospital. Magic exists, but it's not ridiculously powerful. Mostly things like tele- or pyro-kinesis. Additional levels give you additional training. Every raid, dungeon, quest, and zone would require ties with certain factions, or players involved with those factions.

PvP: There would be a rated Arena system. You're outfitted with safety armor, allowing you to take substantially more damage. They're like gladitorial battles, 1v1, 2v2, or 2+ versus a monster. Other players not involved in the system would be allowed to wager on the fights, and winning gladiators would get a cut of this, along with tickets other players purchase to spectate. PvP balance would not be a major focus, even though certain quests and even some raids and dungeons would require/allow it.

Additionally, there would be a bounty system for players of certain factions to partake in. Players in high positions could take out bounties on other players, offering hunters any amount of money to kill other players. Hunting would be illegal, and getting caught nullifies the contract, along with heavily restricting weapon usage and PvP-ing abilities for an amount of time. Hunting is a game of stealth, opportunity and patience. Some PvE quests would have similar mechanics.

Realm politics: That's what the whole game is based on. Arenas and possibly raids/dungeons would be able to be done crossrealm.

TL;DR: Basically, it's completely gutting the stereotypes, making the world a real world, and riskily forgoing gear as a means of progression in favor of social connections to NPCs and other players.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    Take it somewhere else, that's how... Not really likely to happen on a fansite's off-topic boards.
    You just lost yourself an investor, then.

Quote Originally Posted by A Forum Troll View Post
    You just lost yourself an investor, then.
    Hey, I'll put my ideas anywhere there are people interested, but I've got no delusions of having anyone invest in my ideas. If it happens, it happens.

But if somebody else doesn't want to do the same, well, that's ok too.

ITT: the reasons why alot of the people here are not (successful) game designers.

Also the OP already forced this in the direction of a WoW clone with the template. So this will end up in "Basically like WoW in <some scenario you like> but <list of things you think you could make better in WoW>" - so it's basically another "HOW TO: Fix WoW (I know it!-Edition)".

Sorry for being so critic :/
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

Quote Originally Posted by Samin View Post
    ITT: the reasons why alot of the people here are not (successful) game designers.

Also the OP already forced this in the direction of a WoW clone with the template. So this will end up in "Basically like WoW in <some scenario you like> but <list of things you think you could make better in WoW>" - so it's basically another "HOW TO: Fix WoW (I know it!-Edition)".

Sorry for being so critic :/
    ....I basically wrote down the exact opposite of WoW.

Templates are merely a jumping-off point for anyone truly creative, and the 'restrictions' are very, very loose in this case.

Deleted
    Theme: Dark, gothic world, medieval technology, no cannons and guns etc, no future technology. Clergy has a lot of power and controls everything, mages also exists but magic is rare and special, not everywhere and common.

Leveling : Level cap at 99 but it gets exponentially harder to gain a level. Level 60 would be achievable in a month, 70 in 3 months, 90 in a year and 99 nearly impossible. However, gaining a level will not provide very big advantages. For example, provided they both have the same gear, a level 80 would be only 5-10% more powerful than a level 70.

Leveling only increases your base stats by a little. Skills need to be trained, learned from books(some of which can be very hard to get but all are tradeable), bought from stores etc. Talents or something similar may or may not exist.

Raiding: There is no raiding in a "traditional" sense. There are raid dungeons but the emphasis is on class differences and teamwork, not the so called holy trinity. For example rogues search and disarm traps, find treasure etc. Mages AoE and buff, archers do single target DPS. All classes are very different, don't do the same DPS and so on.

PVP: No healers! Fast paced, fights last 5s to 1minute (or more if the opponent is fleeing or both opponents are low damage classes). There are no sides, like Horde or Alliance but factions formed be players, much like in EVE online. The areas around main cities are safe and no PvP is allowed but outside everyone is fair game (and you will also get their stuff if you kill them). BGs, if there are any are safer though and players don't lose items. There are no flying mounts, spells or any other forms of flying other than maybe taxi services.

Realm politics: mainly trade, changing prices and such, no wars but there are smaller factions which players can join and help them gain power like the clergy, the resistance, nobles, mages guild.. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    Theme: Dark, gothic world, medieval technology, no cannons and guns etc, no future technology. Clergy has a lot of power and controls everything, mages also exists but magic is rare and special, not everywhere and common.

Leveling : Level cap at 99 but it gets exponentially harder to gain a level. Level 60 would be achievable in a month, 70 in 3 months, 90 in a year and 99 nearly impossible. However, gaining a level will not provide very big advantages. For example, provided they both have the same gear, a level 80 would be only 5-10% more powerful than a level 70.

Leveling only increases your base stats by a little. Skills need to be trained, learned from books(some of which can be very hard to get but all are tradeable), bought from stores etc. Talents or something similar may or may not exist.

Raiding: There is no raiding in a "traditional" sense. There are raid dungeons but the emphasis is on class differences and teamwork, not the so called holy trinity. For example rogues search and disarm traps, find treasure etc. Mages AoE and buff, archers do single target DPS. All classes are very different, don't do the same DPS and so on.

PVP: No healers! Fast paced, fights last 5s to 1minute (or more if the opponent is fleeing or both opponents are low damage classes). There are no sides, like Horde or Alliance but factions formed be players, much like in EVE online. The areas around main cities are safe and no PvP is allowed but outside everyone is fair game (and you will also get their stuff if you kill them). BGs, if there are any are safer though and players don't lose items. There are no flying mounts, spells or any other forms of flying other than maybe taxi services.

Realm politics: mainly trade, changing prices and such, no wars but there are smaller factions which players can join and help them gain power like the clergy, the resistance, nobles, mages guild.. etc.
    If levels don't provide statistically significant power or skills, what's the point in having them? You could offer some sort of vanity rewards for getting that high, or additional non-strength related rewards. That would make each level feel more fun.

Deleted
    Theme:
    The One Piece world

Graphical style:
    Cel-shading

Level system: (Coming)

Class system and PVE:
    The class system would not follow the classical raiding tank/dps/heal role principle. You'd be choosing how much weight you want to put in each of these areas instead of following one way for let's say raids. So, you could be like 3T/3D/3H or 5T/3D/1H. I want to move away from the stationary aggro system and instead let the enemy NPCs react dynamically. Even if you're the most fragile character with really low tanking and healing specialization, you could use some reflex skills to dodge attacks. Think a classic Zelda fight with dodge buttons

It begins with a simple formula: Picking your class. The classes are as follows - Marksman, Brawler, Warrior, Technician, Thief and Musician.
    Each class would be divided into several subclasses. For example, Warrior -> Samurai or Barbarian , Musician -> Classical or Electric.
    Note that the classes are fighting styles and you won't necessarily play the role of your class in the game, just like for example Zoro is not technically a samurai but if put in the game he would be classed so.

The devil fruit would allow for special upgrades on some of your subclass specific skills. For example, if you're a Samurai with the Fire fruit you could develop your Demon Slash into Flaming Demon Slash, adding fire effects and a fire DoT.

After reaching a certain level, you'd also have the option to eat a devil fruit to further develop your class

"Raids": (Coming)

PVP:
    Based mainly on crew vs crew action. A crew is WoW's equivalent of guild. You form a crew, design your pirate ship and flag, take it out to sea and blast down the ships of other crews!

Realm Politics: You choose your enemies, you choose your allies. It won't be Pirate faction vs Marine faction. The players are all pirates, or you're neutral and not in a crew.

I'll update this post as I come up with more to add
    Last edited by mmocf128060ac7; 2011-08-08 at 10:48 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Theme: Middle-Earth / High Fantasy

Levelling: The level cap is set at 80, and the levelling curve will plateau out after a few levels, each subsequent level taking about an hour and a half. You can level by killing enemies, completing dynamic events, your character's personal story, and through pvp. Levels are intended to be more of an indicator of progress.

Raiding: There will be eight dungeons at release, that allow for a maximum of 5 players. Each dungeon has a story mode, and an explorable mode, more difficult version requiring more coordination. What the party does influences what happens during a run. Changed conventional holy trinity into a 'Damage, Control, and Support' version, so you will not have to spend time waiting for a certain role and can play with whatever combination of professions you prefer.

PVP: There will be two types of PvP. Structured PvP will have two types, tournament and pick-up. In tournament type, premade groups of five fight through brackets of tournament play, similar to 5v5 arena in WoW. The other type of PvP is World versus World PvP, in which three realms are matched up against each other on random, large-scale maps allowing for hundreds of players. It is intended as a casual PvP, and will take place on four different maps, one for each server and a neutral one in the middle. These matches are planned to last for about 2 weeks, after which realms will be rematched to allow for more competitive gameplay.

Realm Politics: Planning for 5 races at launch, all allied together, no opposing players resource nodes will be instanced.