What makes this a "gaming" keyboard?

So i was watching youtube videos on keyboards, Saw this video with a dude showing off different keyboards, sounds and what not, And 1 keyboard he said "This gaming keyboard" But to me it looked like just a regular keyboard, But then again i don't really know what makes a gaming keyboard . a gaming keyboard.

So the Keyboard i am talking about starts at the 2:36 mark, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB7gRIad274

Deleted
    There are no set definitions of what make a 'gaming' keyboard, or even hardware. Its naught but marketing slang.

Theres plenty of 'gaming' hardware which is equivalent to garbage (most headsets), and plenty of 'gaming' hardware which is more suitable for office & production than gaming. (Macro keys)
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-08-07 at 07:36 PM.

Because it's mechanical. Yeah I know, just means it's mechanical, not gaming.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

10+ Year Old Account
    Gaming =/= Mechanical, there are plenty of membrane gaming keyboards. Usually what defines a "gaming" keyboard is features aimed at gamers.

Anti-Ghosting is one thing some non "gaming" keyboards don't have. It kept me from buying one of the logitech slim keyboards. :< I got a G110 instead.

Diesel 1/7H

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mechanical keyboards are often preferred for games like SC2 that need good response times.

get a Logitech Keyboard. I got good old g15. I wud like to upgrade it at some point. but god ive been happy with this keyboard for many years. its flawless. :P (I know its a tad OT) but I assume u are looking to buy a new keyboard?

The Logitech G series is BIG keyboards though. and by big I mean big and heavy. so if u dont like big keyboards its not for u. BUT I LOVE IT!

10+ Year Old Account
    "Gaming keyboards" are keyboards that companies want to sell to gamers. That is all. Think of it like when politicians go "We will give you a steady economy!". Yeah, ALL the parties promise us that. EVERY. FOUR. YEARS.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Deleted
    Blue lights = gaming keyboard, duuuh.

Deleted
    As many people mentioned in most cases it's just flashy lights and extra features like macro buttons and customizable software.

However, at least for me a proper gamer keyboard has mechanical keys. Mechanical is tends to be a bit more responsive than the normal keyboards. You can find more information on the different technologies behind keyboard here: wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_technology

Also I noticed some of the mechanical keyboards often are small and condensed putting the keys closer together, namely the function keys. This can help improve people's accuracy who have smaller hands and give them access to more keys for macros and what not.

In my opinion one of the defining factors of a "gaming" keyboard is the ability to disable the windows key. Anything beyond that and maybe anti-ghosting is just a perk.

Quote Originally Posted by Sovena View Post
    Blue lights = gaming keyboard, duuuh.
    *looks down to mah razer lycosa*
    "Well f**K"

By definition, my keyboard is a gaming keyboard.

Deleted
    The 30% higher price-tag.

As noted, there's no clear definition of what's considered a gaming keyboard and what not. Popular features are illuminated buttons, macro-keys and anti-ghosting. Mechanical keys or LCD's are premium features.

Basically a gaming keyboard is a keyboard that is not made to help hand/finger positioning for typing.

When you type you put your fingers on "asdfjkl;" but when you play games you use "wasd" (in most cases, I'm obviously not talking to the special snowflakes). Putting your fingers on "wasd" on an ergonomic keyboard doesn't feel as good because you aren't pressing in on the correct spot, you are usually pushing on the edge of the key which may be uncomfortable or even start to hurt. So if it's flat and "high tech", then it's considered a gaming keyboard.

Gaming keyboards could be other things already mentioned like response time, durability, or have more customizable options.

The keyboards marketed as gaming keyboards usually have some features that help you in a game - NKRO , Macro Keys. Stuff such as backlighting and media keys and mabye even usb/audio ports are a bonus. Mechanicals are just using a different type of switch. Honestly, the best keyboard is the one you like the most. it's all down to personal preference. I would kill for a mechanical sidewinder x6.

Deleted
    the main driving force behind gaming keyboards is simple:
    anti-ghosting.

ghosting is what happens when your keyboard can't register several keys pressed at once, i.e a,b,c,d,e all pressed at once. a lot of gamers press a lot of keys at once i.e strafe left with d, move forward with W, jump with space, and switch weapon with Q, and crouch with control all at the same time.

gaming keyboards are not less ergonomic, they're just a higher end product that can do more as far as keyboards are concerned, and as such also cost more.

all in all, what you should look for in a keyboard is pretty much how much you like typing on it, as that's the primary thing you do with a keyboard, believe it or not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adimaya View Post
    the main driving force behind gaming keyboards is simple:
    anti-ghosting.

ghosting is what happens when your keyboard can't register several keys pressed at once, i.e a,b,c,d,e all pressed at once. a lot of gamers press a lot of keys at once i.e strafe left with d, move forward with W, jump with space, and switch weapon with Q, and crouch with control all at the same time.

gaming keyboards are not less ergonomic, they're just a higher end product that can do more as far as keyboards are concerned, and as such also cost more.

all in all, what you should look for in a keyboard is pretty much how much you like typing on it, as that's the primary thing you do with a keyboard, believe it or not.
    Alrigth alright, gaming keyboard = blue lights and faceroll support.