Thread: PSU Question

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Zkeya View Post
    6950 cards will be ASUS, so DC II cooler (somehow there are cheaper and easier to be found here) if that makes any difference.
    Do remember that the Direct Cu II is a tripleslotter, so two of them will take up six slots total.

I use a Direct Cu II HD6970, for the matter. They are good, but running two of them will make the top warmer. But will certainly possible.

I'd recommend you at least one slot clearance/clearence between them. So seven total. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    I'm under the impression the optimal load is around the 50% mark, ie where the efficiency is being measured by the various tests?
    Partly correct.
    For 80+ certifications they also test 20% and 100%. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_PLUS

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    Do remember that the Direct Cu II is a tripleslotter, so two of them will take up six slots total.

I use a Direct Cu II HD6970, for the matter. They are good, but running two of them will make the top warmer. But will certainly possible.

I'd recommend you at least one slot clearance/clearence between them. So seven total. :P
    I'd like to go with 6970 DC II but it's not available
    Space between them isn't an issue. Even two tripple slotters would be ok with good airflow and a side fan I believe.

EDIT: 6950 DCII 1GB is 2 slotter, 6950 DCII 2GB is 3 slotter. I was thinking either get the 1 GB version or the Sapphire 6970 linked above. 2GB version is only ~20 euros less than the 6970 :/
    Last edited by Zkeya; 2011-08-08 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Partly correct.
    For 80+ certifications they also test 20% and 100%. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_PLUS
    Ah. Right. How much do they weigh that though, so to speak?

*skimming article* Ah, certain minimum percentage at all levels essentially.

6950 DC II is a two slotter I think. I'd like to go with 6970 DC II but it's not available
    Space between them isn't an issue. Even two tripple slotters would be ok with good airflow and a side fan I believe.

looks like it's a triple-slotter, sorry. Only the "TOP"-models of DCII are twoslotters, like the 560 (non-Ti).
    A sidefan makes it a lot more attractive, yes. But do be wary.

EDIT: 6950 DCII 1GB is 2 slotter, 6950 DCII 2GB is 3 slotter. I was thinking either get the 1 GB version or the Sapphire 6970 linked above. 2GB version is only ~20 euros less than the 6970 :/
    EDIT to your EDIT.
    The 2GiB feature is where the 6900-series shine in Eyefinity. Make sure you get a 2GiB-card. Big VRAM is only needed for big resolutions, which, Eyefinity is all about. But in Eyefinity, it makes a difference.
    So, if the difference is only 20EUR, 6970 is less uneconomic.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2011-08-08 at 10:59 PM.

Granted this is in the computer forums, I totally thought this was going to be about Joe Paterno and his broken arm...

Ah yes power supply *hem haw hum*

10+ Year Old Account
    looks like it's a triple-slotter, sorry. Only the "TOP"-models of DCII are twoslotters, like the 560 (non-Ti).
    A sidefan makes it a lot more attractive, yes. But do be wary.

EDIT to your EDIT.
    The 2GiB feature is where the 6900-series shine in Eyefinity. Make sure you get a 2GiB-card. Big VRAM is only needed for big resolutions, which, Eyefinity is all about. But in Eyefinity, it makes a difference.
    So, if the difference is only 20EUR, 6970 is less uneconomic.
    Yeah, I think I'll just go with 6970 then. Didn't know that VRAM mattered that much. My knowledge about computers was really outdated (current card is 7800GT!) and only recently I've started to catch up :/
    Last edited by Zkeya; 2011-08-08 at 11:06 PM.

Look the edit on my previous post
    Case is going to be HAF932 which has a 230mm side fan, so it should be enough. (damn lvl 10 gt is too expensive!)
    I did look at the edit; did you look at mine? :P
    I'm not much of a HAF-fan, but it will work alright.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did look at the edit; did you look at mine? :P
    I'm not much of a HAF-fan, but it will work alright.
    It seems that I've re-edited while you were posting!
    I'm not too impressed but HAF either, but as I said lvl10gt is too expensive and there aren't a lot of options around. Corsair 600T looks nice, but it's 30-40 euros above haf and more water cooling oriented. :/

It seems that I've re-edited while you were posting!
    I'm not too impressed but HAF either, but as I said lvl10gt is too expensive and there aren't a lot of options around. Corsair 600T looks nice, but it's 30-40 euros above haf and more water cooling oriented. :/
    Consider the Fractal Design Arc-series.
    I'm using a case from the Define-series (focused on silence, wheras Arc is performance/air-flow), and they are all qualitybuilt.

VRAM is often advertised as "what is mattering" from electronic chains et c, but this is one of the few occurances where more than 768MiB/1GiB is actually beneficial.
    The 1GiB card is used for single-screen or dual-screen where only one is used for gaming. For multi-screen gaming, you do want 2GiB.

Once my economy stabilises (hopefully in time for BF3) I'm adding two screens and another 6970. :'3
    And hey, we're here to fill in the blanks in your knowledge. It's not like we expect you to know everything beforehand; Then what purpose would we serve? ;P

edit - spleling reror

10+ Year Old Account
    Consider the Fractal Design Arc-series.
    I'm using a case from the Define-series (focused on silence, wheras Arc is performance/air-flow), and they are all qualitybuilt.

VRAM is often advertised as "what is mattering" from electronic chains et c, but this is one of the few occurances where more than 768MiB/1GiB is actually beneficial.
    The 1GiB card is used for single-screen or dual-screen where only one is used for gaming. For multi-screen gaming, you do want 2GiB.

Once my economy stabilises (hopefully in time for BF3) I'm adding two screens and another 6970. :'3
    And hey, we're here to fill in the blanks in your knowledge. It's not like we expect you to know everything beforehand; Then what purpose would we serve? ;P

edit - spleling reror
    Checked them, they look nice but not available here. Only Define XL from some eshops with questionable quality :/
    My choices are between Coolermaster, Thermaltake, Corsair and some Enermax ones.