Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I think it'll be worse... Instead, they will just think of WoW players wearing a Starwars T-shirt wielding a plastic lightsaber.

Quote Originally Posted by Eightace View Post
    I think South park harmed the view of MMO players more than anything else, even though it was an awesome episode.
    Agree with this too. It's ridicolous though.

Deleted
    From a UK perspective; Gaming is very popular over here and is no longer stigmatised,

However, paying a monthly subscription fee for an online game is still seen as unusual. TOR won't change that.

10+ Year Old Account
    haha yeah, cause typically star wars fans have been known as really cool and not mouth breathing, basement dwelling nerds.

Your reasoning does not make sense, as Star Wars is already associated with this kind of stereotype. Sure, you have your basement-dwelling neckbeards... who will almost certainly make up the majority at any sort of gathering of players (see Blizzcon). Don't see this image going away any time soon, even if the truth is that this does not even remotely represent the majority of players.

Deleted
    Everyone else has said it; Star Wars does not make a dude super cool. In fact, I bet you'd get more heckling from your mates for reading Star Wars Expanded Universe books than you'd get for playing WoW. The former you're reading total shite just because it's Star Wars (crass generalization, Sorry Zahnites).

I have some experience of TOR that I'm not allowed to talk about; but let's just say the crap books and the game have a lot in common.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lightsabers are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Nungamunch View Post
    I have some experience of TOR that I'm not allowed to talk about; but let's just say the crap books and the game have a lot in common.
    LOL

I have some experience of Tor that I'm not allowed to talk about; but let's just say the crap books and the game have nothing in common.

See what I did there? I wrote my opinion like it was a fact.

Deleted
    Accepted? i could'nt really care less what people think. It isnt going to effect me what games i choose play in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by Eorayn View Post
    Lightsabers are awesome.
    indeed they are. What child of the 80's/90's didn't want to have their very own light-saber. Regardless the non gaming community wont have the sense that swtor is on the same level as wow as far as nerdiness. They will probably think wow is reserved for hardcore nerd ragers and swtor will be for nerd fanboys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmeh View Post
    You hear so much "sky is falling" talk on the mage forums because it actually is. When they nerf mages, they don't just tune down the spec. They drive a fucking stake through its heart.

The social stigma will still be there (might be even worse since the haters have some idea of what Star Wars is, at least). SWTOR might break wider ground than WoW simply because, well, it's Star Wars. But it will still have the social stigma.

Sorry everyone, I didn't know that SW fans were seen like that, I have never met anyone that thought so, so I thought that SWTOR would be more accepted than wow. Thanks for the replies anyway!

Nope. Watching Jersey Shore marathon for 12 hours will still be more socially acceptable than any video game.

It'll definitely be much worse.

10+ Year Old Account
    My older sister has played WoW since Vanilla. I played WoW since Vanilla. Unfortunately, due to the stigma attached to it.. I didn't find out she played until 6 months ago.. That is one hell of a stigma..
    "Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves."
    -Carl Sagan

Even basic use of a computer is still a stigma, at least around here. There's actual adverts on the radio about how their "super awesome dating program" or "super awesome recreational program" got all those losers out from behind their computer and into the real world.

They are probably the same sad sorry people coming to me to type up their documentation at work because they can't figure out how to use Word ><.

Maybe in another generation or two gaming might become more acceptable, but for now it's in the same "spawn of the devil" category as D&D and such have always been.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

Nope. Star Wars is probably the first thing that comes to mind for most people when they hear the word 'geek'. And most people that see a difference between WoW and say Call of Duty are gamers themselves anyways, not 60 year olds that hardly know what is what. I can see a FPS MMO being perceived as being not-geeky but as soon as fantasy is involved, the stereotypes arrive.

Who cares. Since when did it matter what was considered socially accepted or not.

worse imo. starwars tag cant help