Page 1 of 2
LastLast

mastery cap for tanking? is there 1

is there any point where i can cap my mastery?

When this reads 102.4% lol
    /run ChatFrame1:AddMessage(format("Unhittable at 102.4%% - you have %.2f%%", GetDodgeChance() + GetBlockChance() + GetParryChance() + 5 + 1/(0.0625 + 0.956/(GetCombatRating(CR_DEFENSE_SKILL)/4.91850*0.04))))

In 378 gear it is at about 3800 Mastery Rating, this does, however, change with your avoidance.

Basically the cap is when you can't take a full physical swing from a level 88 mob.

no, you can't cap your mastery outside of equipping the most mastery possible in the game via gemming, enchants and items.

However, what you're shooting for is 102.4% combat table coverage. Which is easy to view based on this macro:

/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage(“Need 102.4 combat table coverage. Currently at: “..string.format(“%.2f”, GetDodgeChance()+GetBlockChance()+GetParryChance()+5))

5% + your dodge % + your block % + your parry %
    once you are 102.4% you cannot be "hit" and everything on you will either be dodged, parried or blocked.

i am above this cap with str buff / kings / mastery elixir / mastery food.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...annie/advanced

windwalk just increases the dodge portion of this table when it procs.

whenever i get an upgrade that pushes me even higher on the avoidance table, i replace some stats with stamina.

---------- Post added 2011-08-09 at 07:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jinivus View Post
    When this reads 102.4% lol
    /run ChatFrame1:AddMessage(format("Unhittable at 102.4%% - you have %.2f%%", GetDodgeChance() + GetBlockChance() + GetParryChance() + 5 + 1/(0.0625 + 0.956/(GetCombatRating(CR_DEFENSE_SKILL)/4.91850*0.04))))
    No. This is old and uses defense. You don't really need a macro just add parry+block+dodge+5

Quote Originally Posted by frott View Post

No. This is old and uses defense. You don't really need a macro just add parry+block+dodge+5
    I get that alot, it works regardless of the defense portion.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nivus/advanced
    Feel free to tell me i'm below or above cap, i'm at 102.40%.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinivus View Post
    I get that alot, it works regardless of the defense portion.
    what does GetCombatRating(CR_DEFENSE_SKILL) return? Because 1/(whatever) should throw an error if it is = 0 which it would have to be to match dodge+block+parry+5.

The defense portion of it is ignored successfully, I can't seem to get yours to work, maybe my chat settings..

[12:10:32] Unhittable at 102.4% - you have 97.57% < Unbuffed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just because defense rating isn't shown on the character sheet doesn't mean that it doesn't exist anymore.

Jinivus, we can solve this easily enough. Plug in your parry, dodge, and block to the equation and solve for (GetCombatRating(CR_DEFENSE_SKILL)). Yay algebra time!
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

Dodge 14.97%

Parry 14.62%

Block 62.98%
    AFK breakfast, that's unbuffed armory value.

Calling the defense skill level with (GetCombatRating(CR_DEFENSE_SKILL)) should return -1 (I think).

Deleted
    Not sure what exactly this means, I don't have a shield while tanking ^^

So if u got 15% to dodge or parry and a 60% block chance then some buffs, not sure how much you get but the 102 limit your talking about what does it actually do?

Doesn't this mean that from 100 hits that 29 hits will hit you unmodified, since you got 60% chance to block 100 hits witch gives you 40 hits left to be dodged or parried and from thoose 40 you have 15% to dodge and from the 34 remaning 15% chance to parry leaving about 29 hits still dmging you?

Quote Originally Posted by Quilox View Post

So if u got 15% to dodge or parry and a 60% block chance then some buffs, not sure how much you get but the 102 limit your talking about what does it actually do?

Doesn't this mean that from 100 hits that 29 hits will hit you unmodified, since you got 60% chance to block 100 hits witch gives you 40 hits left to be dodged or parried and from thoose 40 you have 15% to dodge and from the 34 remaning 15% chance to parry leaving about 29 hits still dmging you?
    You add your base miss chance, dodge rating, parry rating and block chance together and you will get whatever that number maybe, you have 5% miss chance, lets say 15% dodge and 15% parry and 60%block you will get 95% CTC (combat table coverage) and when you are fighting a mob each swing they roll "dice" out of 100 to see what happens.

0-5 miss
    5.01-20 dodge
    20.01- 35 parry
    35.01-95 block

so if the "dice" rolls a 17 you will dodge that attack since 17 falls into the dodge portion of the CTC. If a 75 is rolled you will fall into the block portion. When you are fighting boss lvl mobs it takes it over the 100% threshold which is why you need 102.4%. For paladins and warriors mastery is our friend since parry and dodge have diminishing returns and I don't believe mastery does.

So as you get more dodge and parry it gets harder to increase those stats. When you gain 100 dodge rating and you only have a 10% dodge rating you will gain more out of that 100 than if you have a 15% (assuming I have that correct, which I think I do).

Hopefully in my babbling I answered your question.

The game only performs a single dice roll (it is actually a 10000 sided die which allows for three digits before the decimal point and 2 after it). Because of this you can add up your dodge, parry, block and miss chances (miss is 5%) to find out how many boss swings will still be unblocked. I have explained this in depth in the guide linked in my signature, but in essence what Buffalostyle wrote is all you really need to know.

As for what diminishing returns are:
    This is a very simplified example of how Diminishing Returns works (in reality the maths and numbers are rather more complex):

Assuming 1 dodge rating is 1% dodge and that the next rating point grants 0.01% dodge less each time, diminishing returns works a bit like this:

The first point of dodge rating gives 1% dodge.
    The next 1 dodge rating gives 0.99% dodge (2 dodge rating = 1.99% instead of 2%)
    The next 1 dodge rating gives 0.98% dodge (3 dodge rating = 2.97% instead of 3%)
    The next 1 dodge rating gives 0.97% dodge (4 dodge rating = 3.94% instead of 4%)
    The next 1 dodge rating gives 0.96% dodge (5 dodge rating = 4.90% instead of 5%)

Now I said to balance the ratings because of the diminishing return. This is the reason why:

5 Parry Rating = 4.90%
    3 Dodge Rating = 2.97%
    Total = 7.87% Avoidance

Now if the ratings were balanced... (note we still have the exact same number of points)

4 Parry Rating = 3.94%
    4 Dodge Rating = 3.94%
    Total = 7.88% Avoidance

7.88% > 7.87%

By shifting one parry rating into dodge rating, our avoidance has increased by 0.01%, even though the total amount of rating remained constant.
    Does this answer your question in any way?

10+ Year Old Account

I'm not an expert on the mastery cap, but I am curious - why aren't you using a shield when tanking as a paladin?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I'm not an expert on the mastery cap, but I am curious - why aren't you using a shield when tanking as a paladin?
    Why would you assume I'm a paladin when you saw i said im not using a shield?
    Yes, This is the paladin forum section but when its a thread that learns you things i hope others are allowed to learn and ask questions also?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would you assume I'm a paladin when you saw i said im not using a shield?
    Yes, This is the paladin forum section but when its a thread that learns you things i hope others are allowed to learn and ask questions also?
    Ah you're not the OP. My apologies.

As a non-blocking tank, you cannot reach the 102.4% cap

EDIT: If you're a blocking tank, reaching the 102.4% cap means that every single physical melee attack will either be blocked, dodged, or parried. Dodging will avoid the attack completely. Parrying will reduce it, and the next attack to 50% damage, and blocking will reduce it by 30% (40% for a critical block). This essentially means that you will never take the full force of an attack that lands on you.

A non-blocking tank, for instance, a Death Knight or a Druid, can never reach this cap. Most DK's, even with full avoidance + trinkets/cooldowns can reach a max of 70%, and Druids a bit under that. For that reason, those tanks tend to take spikier damage in FL fights from bosses than block tanks.
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2011-08-09 at 08:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    EDIT: If you're a blocking tank, reaching the 102.4% cap means that every single physical melee attack will either be blocked, dodged, or parried. Dodging will avoid the attack completely. Parrying will reduce it, and the next attack to 50% damage, and blocking will reduce it by 30% (40% for a critical block). This essentially means that you will never take the full force of an attack that lands on you.
    Actually, parry is pure avoidance just like dodge is. They reverted the 'reduce two attacks by 50%' idea somewhere in the middle of the beta. Critical blocks are also the sole ability of Prot Warriors now, and it's double (for 60% damage reduction) on a critical block. Paladins originally would passively block for 40%, but Holy Shield is now 10 seconds of +20% damage blocked (for a total of 50%) on a 30 second CD.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitsurugi View Post
    Actually, parry is pure avoidance just like dodge is. They reverted the 'reduce two attacks by 50%' idea somewhere in the middle of the beta. Critical blocks are also the sole ability of Prot Warriors now, and it's double (for 60% damage reduction) on a critical block. Paladins originally would passively block for 40%, but Holy Shield is now 10 seconds of +20% damage blocked (for a total of 50%) on a 30 second CD.
    Did it really change? Hmmm I didn't realize it. As a DK I don't pay that close of attention to block but I could have sworn parry was still a double-50% reduction.

Deleted
    Did it really change? Hmmm I didn't realize it. As a DK I don't pay that close of attention to block but I could have sworn parry was still a double-50% reduction.
    Yeah they never changed it to the -50% model.
    Can you imagine dps rage if tank parries reduced their shiny crits by 50%?